Hey, tree people...

I am looking for an evergreen because the wife wants one, I dont, to create some privacy. She wants something to block a visual lane to our house so it needs to be full and keep coverage to the ground or close to it. I would like it to not get too tall, something 10-12' should be tall enough. I think some pines also keep needles better than others and preferably they would be small. I hate how pines drop needles all over which is one reason I am pushing back. What type should we be looking at? I dont know tree varieties.

Drenalin

WKR
The exact species you should pick is out of my wheelhouse, but if anyone is going to give a recommendation worth having they’ll need to know your location or climate zone.

Shane802

FNG
The "Green Giant" arborvitae (Thuja standishii x plicata "Green Giant") would be my choice. They will get taller then you would like so you will have to put some maintenance into them.

OP
MuleyFever
The "Green Giant" arborvitae (Thuja standishii x plicata "Green Giant") would be my choice. They will get taller then you would like so you will have to put some maintenance into them.
Thats the variety I came across on a search. I have seen different numbers for height though. One site said 10' while another said up to 50-60'.

Interesting. I was looking at it on the Arbor Day Foundation page and they list it as deer resistant.
Deer resistant if there is enough better food. Other wise they are one of the first to get hit hard. Possibly one of the shorter Blue Spruce varieties. They do not shed needles as bad os other evergreens. Would have look at the climate zone to see if they would survive.

OP
MuleyFever
Yeah, deer resistant is just that. If times are tough they will get eaten. We have mild winters so they may not eat it.

Shane802

FNG
Deer resistant if there is enough better food. Other wise they are one of the first to get hit hard. Possibly one of the shorter Blue Spruce varieties. They do not shed needles as bad os other evergreens. Would have look at the climate zone to see if they would survive.
If you want to do a Blue Spruce I would recommend a dwarf varieties. Blue Spruce is know to get Rhizosphaera needle cast.

OP
MuleyFever
If you want to do a Blue Spruce I would recommend a dwarf varieties. Blue Spruce is know to get Rhizosphaera needle cast.
What are the dwarf ones to look at?

Also, are you saying the dwarf varieties are less susceptible?

Moon Glow juniper, Cologreen, or Wichita Blue juniper are all fairly drought tolerant, deer wont eat them and they can take long cold winters. They are a great screen and privacy shrub/tree.