Hey, tree people...

Go with an upright juniper like the Mountbatten or Iowa. Deer love Arborvitae and the Junipers will be hardier and less susceptible to wind burn.

KsRancher

WKR
I love my Berkman arbovitaes. Haven't had a deer touch one if them. I planted them in bagged burlap in 2016. Here they are in 2022.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG4010.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG4010.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Resized_20210825_064708.jpeg
    Resized_20210825_064708.jpeg
    556.7 KB · Views: 18

KsRancher

WKR
Stay away from the Emerald arbovitae. Since we moved into our house in 2016 I have planted 48 Berkmans and 25 Emeralds. They are all set up on a watering system. Late last summer or early last fall they got a disease and all of the emeralds died in a matter of a couple of weeks. I hated to see them go. They were about 24" tall when I planted them and were about 8' tall when they all died. The Berkman's never even missed a beat.

NB7

WKR
this.. Leyland cypress is yucky and very prone to disease.

get arborvitea. they grow fast and very uniform generally
I'll 2nd the giant arborvitae. I have both giant arborvitae and leyland cypress. The giant arborviatea tend to be better at shedding snow, i.e not brekaing limbs under a heavy snow load. They tend to look nicer year round, and remain thick all the way through.
Also, although not impervious to bag worms, they tend to resist them better than leylands, which can simply be assissinated by bagworms. I have mine commercially sprayed every year, and even doing that the leylands tend to get the occasional bagworm when the giant arborvitaes won't.

Interesting. I was looking at it on the Arbor Day Foundation page and they list it as deer resistant.
I have to spray mine every year to keep the deer at bay. Dang neear lost them one bad winter because of the deer. I have a Blue spruce that was planted at the same time and it out grew the Arbs and the deer don't bother it. If a spruce grows in your region it would be my suggestion.

You'll definitely need to consult with a local nursery for what is best in your climate.
That said, an arborvitae would be a nice choice if you can. Some types of arborvitae are deer resistant, some attract deer when food is scarce. Keep those things in mind when making your choice.

After planting, watering for next two years is super important. It's best to soak the ground completely, with a slow drip for hours, twice a week. The roots will learn to go deep, to chase the water this way.

Jimbee

WKR
Here's my arborvitae. Lots of folks here in Iowa put snow fence around their arborvitae in the winter. Ours looked like this when we bought the place.20230515_172832.jpg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Portocarpus Is what we have. It make a nice natural privacy boarder on our property. They need to be trimmed after they are established. they will grow up to twenty ft. if not trimmed. If properly trimmed they have nice semi dense foliage, which gives ample privacy.

Arborvitae for sure. Ours are about 20 ft tall now and literally create a wall. I don’t water or fertilize em at all they are on their own. I do knock snow ofc of them from time to time though.

TxxAgg

WKR
Arborvitae are about the ugliest tree around. I'd look at lots of pictures before you decide on them.

Kindo

WKR
Interesting. I was looking at it on the Arbor Day Foundation page and they list it as deer resistant.
Unfortunately, I can’t find an old picture but all the arborvitae we had around our home when we bought it looked like giant….johnsons, thanks to the deer in the neighborhood.