Help with tent/stove and camping questions

Trying to figure out what I need for truck camping in CO 2nd season. First, is a stove necessary or highly recommended for drying things out and not freezing to death? Searches for other threads yielded mixed opinions. If it is, are there options for a tent that aren't $700-$1000+? Are there any budget stoves available? Can existing tents be modified with a stove jack? I have a Big Agnes gold camp ul 3 pyramid, could I install a jack in that? Also, are you guys tearing down every day or leaving stuff up for days at a time while out? Do I need to worry about theft? If 2 guys are going should we have 1 tent or 2? Lots of questions but trying to cover all my logistical bases.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Since you'll be at the truck, why not run a propane Buddy Heater? Your bag/quilt will keep you warm at night. You can run the heater in the mornings and evenings as needed.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
#1 - get tire chains.

Now for the tent. You don't need a stove at all, but i can make things much more comfortable. You get what you pay for with tents, so there probably are cheap options, but its hard to say if they'll last. I would avoid patching in the stove jack and just use a buddy heater and shut it off when you go to sleep if your not buying a tent with a jack this season.

You could throw in a backup tent, but I wouldn't buy a second just to have.

I just leave up my base camp if I set one up.

Never had a problem with theft, but anything is possible.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
Since you'll be at the truck, why not run a propane Buddy Heater? Your bag/quilt will keep you warm at night. You can run the heater in the mornings and evenings as needed.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
My understanding is propane creates condensation which is counter productive to drying out wet clothes.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I probably use a buddy heater 50% of the time even though I have a stove. The stove=extra work. I've never had condensation issues, but I just use it to warm up in the mornings and evenings. I do the same with the stove, its a PITA to get up and stoke a fire all night. You might get a little condensation on the roof, but its not going to be raining in your tent.

IdahoBeav

WKR
My understanding is propane creates condensation which is counter productive to drying out wet clothes.
I've never had that issue. The only place I get condensation is the underside of the cot. You can open some windows in the day to get the air blowing through. You'll be at the truck, so you can pack two sets of hunt clothes. Even so, you'll still probably be able to wear the same clothes for the entire trip. That late in the year, the only time my clothes have become so wet that I didn't want to wear them is after cutting and packing an animal in the snow, and at that point you're usually done, ready for dry jeans and a fire at camp.

Poser

WKR
I've never had that issue. The only place I get condensation is the underside of the cot. You can open some windows in the day to get the air blowing through. You'll be at the truck, so you can pack two sets of hunt clothes. Even so, you'll still probably be able to wear the same clothes for the entire trip. That late in the year, the only time my clothes have become so wet that I didn't want to wear them is after cutting and packing an animal in the snow, and at that point you're usually done, ready for dry jeans and a fire at camp.

Colorado elevations aren't so friendly for Buddy Heaters to work particularly well.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Colorado elevations aren't so friendly for Buddy Heaters to work particularly well.
OP says he'll be at the truck. I have run mine at 8k' without issue. I would be leery of taking a vehicle up a gravel road that high in elevation that late in the year. If the weather takes a turn, your vehicle could be stuck there for some time.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
The trailhead/road area we have been looking at shows to be around 9k and is at the bottom of the area. If that's unsafe then we may have to reconsider.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
+1 to @IdahoBeav. I've used mine at 8k in Colorado a bunch with no issue. I also usually set up my truck/base camp at lower elevations that late because of the snow/roads. Then we branch out with an atv and spike camp/backpack from there. Gives us the ability to move throughout a unit quickly if were not finding what we want.

Poser

WKR
OP says he'll be at the truck. I have run mine at 8k' without issue. I would be leery of taking a vehicle up a gravel road that high in elevation that late in the year. If the weather takes a turn, your vehicle could be stuck there for some time.
8k is not particularly "high" in Colorado. You'll still see people out truck camping at 11K or higher during 2nd rifle.

IdahoBeav

WKR
8k is not particularly "high" in Colorado. You'll still see people out truck camping at 11K or higher during 2nd rifle.
Interesting

@OP, altitude sickness may be a concern, seeing that you are in WV.

I recently purchased the Argali 4P tipi with half nest. I was surprised how much this thing condensates when I tried it out a little over a month ago for a long weekend. Last weekend on the Western Slope I tried it again. 1st night same thing. Second night I moved to a different area and pitched it with about a 4" gap on the bottom and no condensation. But there wasn't any dew on the ground in the morning either like the previous 4 or 5 nights when I pitched it with no gap at the bottom and dew on the ground. So jury still out on condensate but I'll find out soon enough with archery just around the corner.

I also just ordered the Peax stove yesterday to use for my first rifle hunt in the high country for deer. No a stove is not needed, but if you can afford one, I'd get one. A stove will dry that condensate quickly in the morning and provide a few other comforts. It can be very cold in CO in November up in the high country and well worth the investment!

I think there's a few options for tents that won't break the bank. I purchased a Pomoly tent this spring and was planning to do a review on it once I have a few hunting days on it. So, that would probably be a viable budget option from a truck camp.

That said, I have done third season hunts in Colorado without any tent - just sleeping in the back of my Subaru. Some were cold nights, and keeping jugs of water from turning to ice was a bit more of an endeavor than I expected, but it was manageable.

Lots of other good advice in this thread.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
12x12 is great for 2, and a little tight for 3 with a stove. I have an older 4 dog stove, that works good, but I think he only makes titanium stoves now.

I've dried out clothes in a double layer tent during a Montana prairie rain event. It doesn't put off as much as you'd think. If you're averse you could get like a NuWay stove which vents the exhaust.