help me trouble shoot my rifle

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
Can you measure with calipers the od of a loaded round and the od of a fired round?

Without sizing the neck on one of those fired cases, can you drop a bullet through the neck?
yes a bullet can slide into the neck, and drop inside the case if I let it

fired brass O.D.
shot 1 .298
shot 2 .296
shot 3 .297

random 3 unfired rounds from same reloads

round 1 .291
round 2 .292
round 3 .292

Dos XX

WKR
OK so your neck isn't too tight.

How did you determine how long to seat your bullets?

Make a dummy round the same length as the ones you just tried to shoot, no powder no primer. Cover the entire case and bullet with a black sharpie. Chamber it and pull it out and see if the sharpie is rubbed off anywhere.

Last edited:

Dos XX

WKR
You could try sharpie just on the bullet. Your neck doesn't appear tight, so it seems to be in the bullet area.

How long is that barrel ? For 39 grains of h4350 and 2700 fps is impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
OK so your neck isn't too tight.

How did you determine how long to seat your bullets?

Make a dummy round the same length as the ones you just tried to shoot, no powder no primer. Cover the entire case and bullet with a black sharpie. Chamber it and pull it out and see if the sharpie is rubbed off anywhere.
I believe I just did mag length

which apears that it may have beena bit too long.
sharpied 2 diff dummy rounds
on black coming off is on bullet from lands...so I seated the bullets a little further then chose a bunch of random ones from my box and chamberd/unchamberd all successfully so im hoping thats it

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
how would I measure that? I must not be putting it into google right because I am getting a lot of bad info
You would need a comparator and some dial calipers. There may be other ways to measure but that’s what I use. What you’re looking at is how much shoulder bump you’re getting (if any) once you’ve sized your brass versus the shoulder measurement on a fired piece.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I would recommend determining your cartridge overall length to the lands BEFORE proceeding with load development.
I had, I shot 15 rounds working from 39gr to 40 gr with no issues. Now I am having them for some reason.

Gonna grab some factory ammo and give it a try

MrTim

FNG
I had, I shot 15 rounds working from 39gr to 40 gr with no issues. Now I am having them for some reason.

Gonna grab some factory ammo and give it a try
Ok. Maybe I’m missing something. You referred to powder charges.
Can you tell us what is the COAL or CBTO to the lands is?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are you neck sizing or full length sizing?
What is the shoulder measurement on fired vs sized cases if you are full length sizing?
How many rounds since the last time you cleaned your chamber? (Chamber not just the bore)
What's the .200" line measurement on fired vs unfired cases? (.200" from the case head towards the shoulder)

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
Ok. Maybe I’m missing something. You referred to powder charges.
Can you tell us what is the COAL or CBTO to the lands is?
coal 2.857
cbto with 6mm die (6.5 is on the way) 2.33
Smoke a case and the bullet with a candle....itll show the tight spots.
did that, seated bullet until it wasnt against the lands (was wondering if that was creating issues. which it was making it tight to chamber. Since I have seated deaper chambering and ejecting brass is no problem. BUT once I take a shot. I can lift my bult handle up, but cant pull bolt back)

Wrench

WKR
These are getting a rep for this....but first, check primary extraction. The bolt cams back as it's rotated. If you have little cam engagement....it makes for trouble.

If you search primary extraction for your rifle action.....pics will guide you.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
Are you neck sizing or full length sizing?
What is the shoulder measurement on fired vs sized cases if you are full length sizing?
How many rounds since the last time you cleaned your chamber? (Chamber not just the bore)
What's the .200" line measurement on fired vs unfired cases? (.200" from the case head towards the shoulder)
Full length sized

should measurements - sized .169 fired .161 I dont have any speacial tools for this im literally holding my micrometer up to it if it maters

It has only had roughly 20 rounds though it. I did clean it prior to my last attempt

.200 line on fired .298 - unfired .293 (I assumed you meant .200"down then the diameter at that point?

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
These are getting a rep for this....but first, check primary extraction. The bolt cams back as it's rotated. If you have little cam engagement....it makes for trouble.

If you search primary extraction for your rifle action.....pics will guide you.
that is interesting....esp because when it was working prior I had the factory bolt handle...now Its aftermarket. I will check this. wonder if that caming surface isnt engaging as it should

I will also take some factory ammo out there as well. maybe its something with my reloads