help me trouble shoot my rifle

Blaw

WKR
ok I am racking my brain here. basically I was getting peirced primers and was unable to unchamber the spent round.

I know what your thinking, over pressure......its not 39-40gr of H4350

so.....I had done some work on the bolt....took it apart cleaned it made sure firing pin was in spec.

then I resized my brass step one (re set up my dies going from manual...then chambering brass.....no problem

Then I went and seated a bullet, within saami spec...no primer or powder dont get your panties in a knot ;)

same thing...I can lift the bolt...but I cant pull it out. I have to tap the round out via muzzle with cleaning rod

I have also seated the bullet super deep just to see...its the same thing. So its not getting stuck in the rifling

I am so stumped. And yes its a savage rifle, thank god I have a tikka lol

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I should add I have a dummy round kicking around thats OAL is 2.9" and it chambers in and out no prob and doesnt get stuck...riddle me that lol

anything else I touch doesnt work

Spoony

FNG
like go/nogo? to check headspace?
This is exactly what I was thinking. I bought a .270 WSM, Winchester Model 70, and cases used to get stuck. I sent it back and Winchester said it was headspace issues. They gave me a new rifle.

Dos XX

WKR
Just so I think I know what you are saying. You can chamber, extract, and eject a case that does not have a bullet in it? Once you seat a bullet in the case, you can chamber it but not extract it?

Is your bullet getting stuck in your freebore? Do you have access to a bore scope? Carbon build up?

Last edited:
OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
Just so I think I know what you are saying. You can chamber, extract, and eject an case that does not have a bullet in it? Once you seat a bullet in the case, you can chamber it but not extract it?

Is your bullet getting stuck in your freebore? Do you have access to a bore scope? Carbon build up?
exactly. its as soon as a bullet is seated, regardless of how far its seated
the exception is a dummy round i have..same bullet, oal 2.9" it chambers and ejects no prob.

going to clean everything just to see if it helps, this rifle has maybe 20 rnds down it

nobody

WKR
the exception is a dummy round i have..same bullet, oal 2.9" it chambers and ejects no prob.

going to clean everything just to see if it helps, this rifle has maybe 20 rnds down it
Same bullet in the dummy round as the loaded rounds?

Can you measure CBTO with a comparator? Maybe the ogive is making contact with the lands?

COAL means nothing aside from figuring out whether or not a round will fit in a magazine.

Dos XX

WKR

What does the 2.9" tell us? What is the length of the ones that get stuck?

Factory ammo?

New rifle? Factory barrel?

What you really need is access to a bore scope. Here is a ridiculously good borescope for short money.

Last edited:
OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I think I got it, it was probably a combo of a bunch of crap in the barrel, as well as I was jammed in. The ones that were working and not were just within the tiny margin of jammed/not jammed I think.

seated all my rounds at the new depth. gonna take it out hopefully it goes well.

thanks all. this forum is great

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
ok...problem not solved.

so I can chamber rounds nor prob, and eject them no prob.
EXCEPT!
I went out today, took 3 shots, first all 3 no prob chambering
shots 1 and 2 little sticky pulling bolt back
shot three, after the shot....bolt could lift easily, but not be pulled out and obviously not eject

pics attached

left to right shots 1 2 3

shot 3 looks like its high pressure
these are getting 39gr of h4350
avg spd 2708 fps
high 2728
low 2684
sd 7
es 44

any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_122546.jpg
    IMG_20230513_122546.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20230513_122603.jpg
    IMG_20230513_122603.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 64

Dos XX

WKR
Can you measure with calipers the od of a loaded round and the od of a fired round?

Without sizing the neck on one of those fired cases, can you drop a bullet through the neck?