Help me choose a 6lb mountain rifle!

jimh406

WKR
I have a Savage Ultralight in 300 WSM. I bought it primarily for the barrel. I don't really have any complaints about it. Sure, some hate the lightweight plastic stocks. I do wish the magazine capacity was larger just in case, but that's the tradeoff with a fat cartridge and relatively flush fit magazine.

A lot of the choice comes down to personal preference.

Weldor

WKR
My Fierce Carbon Rogue CT is under 6 lbs and shoots just fine 6.5 prc. 2 elk down with it no issues. The Titanium action takes a little getting used to. Not a smooth as a steel action.

AkRyan

WKR
6lb should be non magnum if you want to shoot it. And as stated already a 7-08 will handle this with ease and you will enjoy it more.

madcalfe

WKR
6lb should be non magnum if you want to shoot it. And as stated already a 7-08 will handle this with ease and you will enjoy it more.
why should 6lbs be non magnum?
I use a custom 5lbs 2oz 300wsm and have no issues at all spotting shots.
I've taken 3 mountain goats, 2 bears, elk and deer with it now.
next build I'm going for 4.5lbs in a 7ss

Last edited:

AkRyan

WKR
I use a custom 5.2oz 300wsm and have no issues at all spotting shots.
Are you standing taking those shots? If so I would love to see footage of you controlling that recoil! I also shoot a lightish 300wsm with a brake and it's not easy. Now if your 6ft5in tall and 350lbs ok I can see it.

AkRyan

WKR
I use a custom 5.2oz 300wsm and have no issues at all spotting shots.
He also mentioned wanting to practice with it so non magnum let's you practice more with less punishment and cost.

AkRyan

WKR
Not everyone is affected by recoil the same way and also there's quite a bit difference of recoil for a braked or suppressed one. I was assuming 6 lbs for the rifle only based on the OP.
I'm aware! When I was 280lbs I could shoot anything but now at 180lbs I feel them a bit more and they move me a bit more! He is shooting at game under 400yrds...explain why he needs a 7prc

Grizzle

FNG
Its true some people can handle more recoil and still shoot well but everyone shoots better with less recoil, especially with a light rifle in feild conditions

madcalfe

WKR
Are you standing taking those shots? If so I would love to see footage of you controlling that recoil! I also shoot a lightish 300wsm with a brake and it's not easy. Now if your 6ft5in tall and 350lbs ok I can see it.
Bear and elk were all shot off hand everything else over my backpack or bipod. I'm only 5'11 160lbs I've literally been using a 300wsm for over 10 years. Now when I had my tikka in 300wsm with the garbage stock that wasn't pleasant to shoot, but my custom I can shoot it all day. It kicks no more than a .243 and I'm just using a PVA ultralight jet blast brake on it.

AkRyan

WKR
Bear and elk were all shot off hand everything else over my backpack or bipod. I'm only 5'11 160lbs I've literally been using a 300wsm for over 10 years. Now when I had my tikka in 300wsm with the garbage stock that wasn't pleasant to shoot, but my custom I can shoot it all day. It kicks no more than a .243 and I'm just using a PVA ultralight jet blast brake on it.
Still intrigued! I will have to go out and try my best with my 300wsm. I have it in a altera stock, 19in barrel brake/can