Help a rookie decide - Archery or 4th rifle

Boys girls and all others,

I have the opportunity to hunt a ranch (6-8k feet) in Colorado GMU13. This is solo and my first western hunt (a lot of whitetail in the Midwest). I’m confident with both a rifle and bow. Plan would be to camp during archery or motel in rifle.

I’ve scoured the forums, soaking up information about late rifle and archery. What I’ve heard is:
-4th rifle, pray for snow
-archery is obviously better weather

Looking at GoHunt, 13 is clearly mostly private. I don’t know how much stock to put into success rates and bull:cow because of the sparse reporting mechanisms. The ranch says they have a residential population and obviously the migration is weather dependent.

My number one priority is opportunity and bringing home meat.

So here’s the ask…. What else would you consider making the call on 4th rifle vs archery?

What do you enjoy more? Archery or rifle? Archery is about 10% success. Hard to say what is best with every year possibly being different. Take the opportunity that you enjoy more.

Lytro

WKR
Go with whatever interests you more. With it being your first western hunt, there’s a good chance you’ll make a lot of stupid mistakes either way. I know I did my first few years out west. I’d personally go during the better weather when they’re bugling if there’s a decent sized resident herd.

OP
G
What do you enjoy more? Archery or rifle? Archery is about 10% success. Hard to say what is best with every year possibly being different. Take the opportunity that you enjoy more.
Whitetail? Archery. But that is largely due to weather and rutting. Also that’s treestand hunting and not spot+stalk. I feel like every wannabe elk hunter (*raises hand 🤚🏻) romanticizes bugling bulls. So maybe that’s a deciding factor

jimh406

WKR
I'd say archery. I don't think you want to figure out Western hunting in bad weather which is very possible in 4th rifle. I can't think of why you'd need to pray for snow that time of year. ;) You might want to pray for not too much snow.

OP
G
Without seeing the property, ity would be hard. If more open then rifle. it a fair amount of cover, definitely archery.
Thank you.. some good aspen groves and water holes. Really appreciate all the thought provoking conversation. Currently leaning archery because worst case, it should be beautiful

87TT

WKR
Thank you.. some good aspen groves and water holes. Really appreciate all the thought provoking conversation. Currently leaning archery because worst case, it should be beautiful
Get the Elknut app and learn to call and when and why. And yes archery all the way. The worst that could happen is a great camping trip.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
If you are hunting for the outdoor experience, definitely archery. Nothing better than having a bull screaming inside 100 yards. If you are hunting to fill the freezer then rifle gives you a much better chance of filling your tag. Still a lot of fun but is a very different experience than archery.

woods89

WKR
I'll be the odd guy who really enjoys late season hunting, and prefers it having hunted both September archery and November rifle seasons. Might be different if we were held down to 4000 acres, though.

Archery you could potentially hunt more time. If you're ranch time slot is limited, it would be easy to hit some public land. Also, you can get one either sex archery tag.

Rifle, you would have five days to hunt and could not buy an either sex tag but could potentially have both a bull and a cow tag.

OP
G
Archery you could potentially hunt more time. If you're ranch time slot is limited, it would be easy to hit some public land. Also, you can get one either sex archery tag.

Rifle, you would have five days to hunt and could not buy an either sex tag but could potentially have both a bull and a cow tag.
Agreed the either sex tag is attractive. Since I’m flying in, as much as I’d love two tags in my pocket, I’d rather not try to get all that meat home. I’d have 5 days in either season