WY October Rifle Gear List

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Hey guys, thanks for the information here. Just an update on gear weight. I've been working with the app PackLight, and will report back on total weight...I'm already seeing a few items that feel redundant, but would probably be left in the truck. Anyway, good thoughts so far, and thanks a ton for sharing wisdom...sounds like it's been from experience!

two words....extra socks. Nothing ruins a hunt faster than wet feet. You need to always have dry feet/socks.
I have even packed an extra pair in my day pack in case I stepped in a creek or river.

Bring a chainsaw for clearing roads after a storm.
Have good 10 ply tires on your vehicle, roads can be rough and rocky in our mountains, or have a couple of spares.
You might look into renting a FS cabin for part of your hunt, some have running water so a shower is possible and maybe an indoor toilet.
Adding to this, don't bring an electric battery powered chainsaw... I found out the hard way.

Ouzel

FNG
If you are hoofing into unknown country, I’d be looking at detailed maps that identifies springs, and with the dry winters we’ve been having, you might not be able count on them.
I don’t think you want to have lose a lot of elevation daily or every other day to resupply and also foot soldiering it, camping by low water and having a three hour climb daily won’t be much fun either.
The Gros Ventre, Wyoming, Absaroka, and Wind River ranges all have varied idiosyncrasies even for horseback hunters.

Ouzel

Get rid of the rifle sling and go with a rifle carrier setup that attaches to your pack. Lot of pack companies have one specific, but Kifaru makes a universal one. Can get to rifle just as fast as a sling, but keeps both hands free.

Even better when you get one down and can use two trekking poles and not have to worry at all about rifle.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
If you are hoofing into unknown country, I’d be looking at detailed maps that identifies springs, and with the dry winters we’ve been having, you might not be able count on them.
I don’t think you want to have lose a lot of elevation daily or every other day to resupply and also foot soldiering it, camping by low water and having a three hour climb daily won’t be much fun either.
The Gros Ventre, Wyoming, Absaroka, and Wind River ranges all have varied idiosyncrasies even for horseback hunters.

Ouzel
Thanks, definitely keeping an eye on this as we plan. (y)(y)

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Get rid of the rifle sling and go with a rifle carrier setup that attaches to your pack. Lot of pack companies have one specific, but Kifaru makes a universal one. Can get to rifle just as fast as a sling, but keeps both hands free.

Even better when you get one down and can use two trekking poles and not have to worry at all about rifle.
Thanks for the tip - I was actually looking at different options on this front over the weekend.

I almost always leave the spotter in the truck just for weight savings and either bring 12X or 15X bino's depending on terrain. I would NOT leave the truck without my trekking poles, IMO they save a lot of wear n tear on the knees, feet & ankles, also can use them for shooting off of in a pinch. Its personal opinion but I would also leave the harris bi-pod at home, unnecessary weight when you can just shoot off your pack. The havalon piranta knifes work great for deer but they are junk for ELK IMO. Last year I used mine (or at least tried to) to quarter up 3 bulls and I was constantly losing blades and breaking them. Switched to my havalon baracuta which worked better but still less than ideal, luckily my buddies had the outdoor edge with replacement blades and they work 100x better.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
I almost always leave the spotter in the truck just for weight savings and either bring 12X or 15X bino's depending on terrain. I would NOT leave the truck without my trekking poles, IMO they save a lot of wear n tear on the knees, feet & ankles, also can use them for shooting off of in a pinch. Its personal opinion but I would also leave the harris bi-pod at home, unnecessary weight when you can just shoot off your pack. The havalon piranta knifes work great for deer but they are junk for ELK IMO. Last year I used mine (or at least tried to) to quarter up 3 bulls and I was constantly losing blades and breaking them. Switched to my havalon baracuta which worked better but still less than ideal, luckily my buddies had the outdoor edge with replacement blades and they work 100x better.
Thanks, @SuperDUECE22 - you made a few points that just in the last week I've been thinking through...trekking poles, knife and the bipod. I actually called my hunting buddy at lunch today and asked him if he was thinking about trekking poles because I'd decided to buy some. I've been researching them a bit, but thanks for your insight and nudge here. I think especially hauling out meat in packs they'd be worth their weight in gold.

On the Havalon...I'll have it, but plan to use my fixed blade. I've used the Havalon for about the last 5 years and it's been good on whitetail, but personally just like the feel of a fixed when cleaning game.

Agree on the tripod - I've marked it off my latest iteration of my gear list. Headed to the range this week and will shoot off the pack in various shooting positions.