WY October Rifle Gear List

The .308 will serve you well, and there are a ton of good rounds to choose from- 150, 165, 168, 175, and 180 are all good choices. TSX, TMK, Partition, Accubond, Terminal Ascent, Trophy Bonded, Trophy Copper, will all get the job done at 300 yards. I shot my bull last fall through both lungs with the 175 TA at 80 yards. Caliber size entry hole and 3” exit after smashing a far rib.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
Just a few ideas -- cut resistant gloves, trekking poles, bino bandit.

Have you ever considered LASIK? I don't miss those contact lens one bit!
Good thought on the glove. I bought one about a month ago in anticipation of this hunt and left it off. Weighs a few oz's and would be a good insurance policy. Wondered how many people carry them. I feel like my own knife is one of the top threats to my safety in the backcountry. Just my thought.

Up until now I've been up in the air on trekking poles. I feel like I'll be kicking myself on a pack out if we're successful and I don't have them. Then again they could double up and be the center pole on my SO Cimmaron too...any recommendations?

I wish on Lasik...hate contacts (HATE), but my dr is reticent to recommend it for me, specifically.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
The .308 will serve you well, and there are a ton of good rounds to choose from- 150, 165, 168, 175, and 180 are all good choices. TSX, TMK, Partition, Accubond, Terminal Ascent, Trophy Bonded, Trophy Copper, will all get the job done at 300 yards. I shot my bull last fall through both lungs with the 175 TA at 80 yards. Caliber size entry hole and 3” exit after smashing a far rib.
Thanks for the recommendations here on ammo. This rifle is indiscriminate towards the 168's and 175's, generally. WIll check out the TA's, not too familiar w/them. Thank you

Thanks for the recommendations here on ammo. This rifle is indiscriminate towards the 168's and 175's, generally. WIll check out the TA's, not too familiar w/them. Thank you
You’re welcome and mine shoots the 175 TA and 180 TBT very well. Gonna check out a couple others this year. I’m especially interested in the 168 TMK. This bullet is devastating with smaller less powerful cartridges (see the 223 and 243 vs 25-06 threads) and with a .535 BC should be a great one. Black Hills produces factory ammo with the TMK if you can find it in stock.

Don't get too caught up in this. Boots kill elk, not bullets. Be proficient with your rifle and take good shots, no need to overthink.

Speaking of which, really take time to break in those boots and take care of your feet (looks like you are already on that, but it bears mentioning).

Spotter... I could go either way, but don't think its essential. They can be nice, but elk kind of stick out like a skidmark on porcelain in most long range glassing conditions. If I bring one, its to see if there's a good bull in the party (and I care about that) and its a Leupold 15-30 baby spotter that weighs less than my binos.

Lastly, are you planning to pack to sets of cloths when you spike out? I can't quite tell from your spreadsheet, but I definitely would not bring two sets if you're within a couple hours of the truck.

Keep the spirits high - most elk hunts are more taxing on your mental fortitude than your gear, in my experience.

Good luck and have fun!

sargent

WKR
I would definitely take at least one trekking pole. I have a pair of Black Diamond Distance Z carbon poles that weigh 4.5 ounces each. They fold up and pack away when not in use and are the lightest reliable poles I have found. They aren't cheap, but a few retailers are offering sales right now. It looks like you have a good start on planning and your gear list looks pretty tight to me. Get out and hunt and you'll see what works for you and and what could be changed in the future. Good luck and have fun.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
Don't get too caught up in this. Boots kill elk, not bullets. Be proficient with your rifle and take good shots, no need to overthink.

Speaking of which, really take time to break in those boots and take care of your feet (looks like you are already on that, but it bears mentioning).

Spotter... I could go either way, but don't think its essential. They can be nice, but elk kind of stick out like a skidmark on porcelain in most long range glassing conditions. If I bring one, its to see if there's a good bull in the party (and I care about that) and its a Leupold 15-30 baby spotter that weighs less than my binos.

Lastly, are you planning to pack to sets of cloths when you spike out? I can't quite tell from your spreadsheet, but I definitely would not bring two sets if you're within a couple hours of the truck.

Keep the spirits high - most elk hunts are more taxing on your mental fortitude than your gear, in my experience.

Good luck and have fun!
I hear ya on ammo. All through the pandemic I was able to find ample amounts of the 168 and 175 HPBT's loaded by Creedmoor Sports - and it's the same ammo I've dropped many whitetail with. And definitely focusing on range time. As I mentioned I have a range within an hr of the house that has 200/300/600 targets (uses electronic system to measure paper impact, so it's very efficient since I don't have to head down range to check my targets, or get out my bino's to evaluate hits). There's also an unknown distance range adjacent to that, and I think it goes out to about 500. Both are the best practice I'll be able to get for longer range shots.

On the footwear front, I have my fingers crossed those Crispi's are going to work out. I've been looking at them for about 2 years, and just picked up a pair. Should get here tomorrow, but assuming a decent fit I plan to wear them outside with the kids every chance I get before season.

Sending you a PM on the spotter. I love my Leupold scopes and have been eyeing a couple of their spotters. Definitely in the dark on mag, reticle, wt, etc. I have the budget to spend on a spotter, so I'm just trying to decide if I want to make that happen. Looking at spring bear in a couple states next year too, so it wouldn't be too unreasonable to move forward with getting one now. tbd

Negative on two sets of clothes when we spike out, just one. However, I would most likely grab my rain and puffy stuff since there's not much of a weight penalty. Open to suggestions on this, but from what I've read, this is fairly common and most are like minded when it comes to rain/puffy gear in that respect.

EdP

WKR
I love your list, and the fact that I'm not the only guy obsessive enough to categorize and digitize my gear list! A couple of things you might want to add. Electrical tape for your muzzle, surveyor's tape for flagging and to keep your tag on an antler/leg, and a bore snake in case snow or mud gets in the bore. With the leuokotape in your medkit I would drop the moleskin.

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
quick tip on those baby wipes- they are nice on the bottom ..but don't get the ones with oil or lotion, you will be slipping and sliding your ass everywhere. also take the pack of them and wring all the excess water you can out of them, they are to dam heavy. if you need them wetter just give them a squirt out of the bottle. tp is the lightest but but will chap your butt. might want to look into anti chapping stick- looks like deodorant but made for the glide. .. all depends on how hot and wet you get while hiking/ packing it works on feet along with the butt and thighs.

I haven’t read all of the replies so I apologize if any of this was already covered. Have you weighed all of your gear yet? I’d shoot for a pack base weight of under 30 lbs. that may mean cutting some stuff. Weighing each bit of gear individually may help you decide what’s going along and what isn’t. Maybe get an app (PackLight is the one I use… it’s free) to keep track of your gear weights and try different combinations of things.
-I’d start by ditching the cup and bowl. Eat out of the cook pot or even better eat directly out of the freeze dried meal pouch. Drink your coffee or whatever hot drinks you like out of the pot as well. Otherwise eat mostly no cook food for breakfast and lunch. This will save time and weight. Time in cooking + cleaning. Weight in less stove fuel.
-Depending on how warm you sleep, the 30° bag may not be warm enough but the 0° bag may be too heavy. I’d bring both in the truck. I’d also consider getting a 10° to 20° bag for the right combination of less weight with enough warmth.
-I may have missed it but I didn’t notice a puffy jacket. I (and many others) consider this an absolute must have. Edit… I missed it, I see you have it.
-Also, why Wyoming? Colorado is so much better 😉

Last edited:
OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I would definitely take at least one trekking pole. I have a pair of Black Diamond Distance Z carbon poles that weigh 4.5 ounces each. They fold up and pack away when not in use and are the lightest reliable poles I have found. They aren't cheap, but a few retailers are offering sales right now. It looks like you have a good start on planning and your gear list looks pretty tight to me. Get out and hunt and you'll see what works for you and and what could be changed in the future. Good luck and have fun.
Thanks for the link..checking these out. If they'll double up as a center pole on the tent that would be ideal. Thanks again

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
quick tip on those baby wipes- they are nice on the bottom ..but don't get the ones with oil or lotion, you will be slipping and sliding your ass everywhere. also take the pack of them and wring all the excess water you can out of them, they are to dam heavy. if you need them wetter just give them a squirt out of the bottle. tp is the lightest but but will chap your butt. might want to look into anti chapping stick- looks like deodorant but made for the glide. .. all depends on how hot and wet you get while hiking/ packing it works on feet along with the butt and thighs.
feel like I should have to pay for advice like this :ROFLMAO: . no one wants to ask things like this but everyone benefits from the answer!! Thanks man!

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I haven’t read all of the replies so I apologize if any of this was already covered. Have you weighed all of your gear yet? I’d shoot for a pack base weight of under 30 lbs. that may mean cutting some stuff. Weighing each bit of gear individually may help you decide what’s going along and what isn’t. Maybe get an app (PackLight is the one I use… it’s free) to keep track of your gear weights and try different combinations of things.
-I’d start by ditching the cup and bowl. Eat out of the cook pot or even better eat directly out of the freeze dried meal pouch. Drink your coffee or whatever hot drinks you like out of the pot as well. Otherwise eat mostly no cook food for breakfast and lunch. This will save time and weight. Time in cooking + cleaning. Weight in less stove fuel.
-Depending on how warm you sleep, the 30° bag may not be warm enough but the 0° bag may be too heavy. I’d bring both in the truck. I’d also consider getting a 10° to 20° bag for the right combination of less weight with enough warmth.
-I may have missed it but I didn’t notice a puffy jacket. I (and many others) consider this an absolute must have. Edit… I missed it, I see you have it.
-Also, why Wyoming? Colorado is so much better 😉
100% gotta get the weight to the gear. I'll check out packlight app - I was wondering how everyone weighed their stuff - if it meant going to the product webpage or manually with a scale. think you're right that after weighing it out it'll help me be more discriminate to stuff I *think* I need.

Ditching the cup and bowl...honestly was like what? when I read this earlier today, but I think you're right on here. wonder if it'd be worth picking up one of those cook bags and ditching any dehydrated meal packages and putting the actual food into a lighter weight ziploc - is that worth the time/effort?

Appreciate the advice on the sleeping bag. not sure how/if I can act on that. had both of those bags for a while now and hadn't budgeted to replace them. could be something to look at in the future.

Colorado is on the list...ha. Soon enough!!!

solid, thanks. definitely going to stock up on the wipes...shouldn't be too hard with what will be a ~2 y.o. in the house :) later this year when we head out
Baby wipes definitely do the trick, but I tried the dead-down-wind full body wipes this year and they were totally game changing. Will always use now. They’re a little textured, so they are awesome for really cleaning.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
Baby wipes definitely do the trick, but I tried the dead-down-wind full body wipes this year and they were totally game changing. Will always use now. They’re a little textured, so they are awesome for really cleaning.
Do you wring them out too? @slick trick mentioned that and i'd never thought about it. makes sense though

“I was wondering how everyone weighed their stuff - if it meant going to the product webpage or manually with a scale.”

I use a digital kitchen scale

“think you're right that after weighing it out it'll help me be more discriminate to stuff I *think* I need. “

Yup, and if there is stuff you aren’t sure about you can bring it in the truck and add it later if you decide it was more of a need than a want. I have a 5 gallon bucket with a seat/lid that has extras. I also have a small plastic bin. Both go in the truck. There is also some stuff to cook a steak and instant mashed potatoes in there. I bring a small cooler with some real food (frozen steaks and mashed potatoes). Then if I swing back to the truck once or twice I can eat something that isn’t freeze dried. I also bring a jug of water to top off without having to filter. I use a filter when backpacking, but why bother if you are at the truck?

“wonder if it'd be worth picking up one of those cook bags and ditching any dehydrated meal packages and putting the actual food into a lighter weight ziploc - is that worth the time/effort?”

I don’t think it is. Though I take the bigger 2 serving meals and split them up in vacuum seal bags. Ziplock bags would be problematic to put boiling water in and a cook bag would be something to clean. If there are two of you you could share a 2 serving meal. I hunt solo so I prefer to buy one serving meals or repackage the bigger ones. Freezer vacuum bags do fine with boiling water. The whole point is to not have to wash anything. That’s time better spent hunting or sleeping.

“Appreciate the advice on the sleeping bag. not sure how/if I can act on that. had both of those bags for a while now and hadn't budgeted to replace them. could be something to look at in the future.”

I’d bring both. Here’s how I decide what bag to bring. I look at the weather forecast for the nearest town. Look at the low temp and elevation for that town. Look at your hunt area and decide what the highest elevation you are likely to camp at. On average the temperature difference is -3.5°F per 1,000’ elevation. I do that then bring a bag rated to about 10° warmer than expected temps. In other words if the calculated low is 20° I bring my 30° bag as I sleep warm and can always wear my beanie and puffy coat if I feel a little chilly. I have four sleeping bags to choose from. I always bring a warmer one to leave in the truck. Then I can swap or if necessary sleep in the truck without unpacking.

Something else you may already know… when you start hiking you should be cool or even a little cold. You will warm up and can throw that puffy on when you stop to glass and eat. The last thing you want to do is drench yourself in sweat. Then it’s much harder to get warm.

Last edited:
OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
“I was wondering how everyone weighed their stuff - if it meant going to the product webpage or manually with a scale.”

I use a digital kitchen scale

“think you're right that after weighing it out it'll help me be more discriminate to stuff I *think* I need. “

Yup, and if there is stuff you aren’t sure about you can bring it in the truck and add it later if you decide it was more of a need than a want.

“wonder if it'd be worth picking up one of those cook bags and ditching any dehydrated meal packages and putting the actual food into a lighter weight ziploc - is that worth the time/effort?”

I don’t think it is. Though I take the bigger 2 serving meals and split them up in vacuum seal bags. Ziplock bags would be problematic to put boiling water in and a cook bag would be something to clean. If there are two of you you could share a 2 serving meal. I hunt solo so I prefer to buy one serving meals or repackage the bigger ones. The whole point is to not have to wash anything. That’s time better spent hunting or sleeping.

“Appreciate the advice on the sleeping bag. not sure how/if I can act on that. had both of those bags for a while now and hadn't budgeted to replace them. could be something to look at in the future.”

I’d bring both.Here’s how I decide what bag to bring. I look at the weather forecast for the nearest town. Look at the low temp and elevation for that town. Look at your hunt area and decide what the highest elevation you are likely to camp at. On average the temperature difference is -3.5°F per 1,000’ elevation. I do that then bring a bag rated to about 10° warmer than expected temps. In other words if the calculated low is 20° I bring my 30° bag as I sleep warm and can always wear my beanie and puffy coat if I feel a little chilly. I have four sleeping bags and always bring a warmer one to leave in the truck. Then I can swap or if necessary sleep in the truck without unpacking.

Something else you may already know… when you start hiking you should be cool or even a little cold. You will warm up and can throw that puffy on when you stop to glass and eat. The last thing you want to do it drench yourself in sweat. Then it’s much harder to get warm.
(y)(y) Question though - on the meals, because I'm not sure I'm tracking w/you - I have and intend to bring the JetBoil, and also will have dehydrated food. So you're saying pour the hot water into the vacuum sealed bags to re-hydrate them? Or are you saying re-hydrate some other way? Sorry for the needed clarity, but definitely like this idea. Anything to cut down on extra waste/hassle in having to clean stuff has my attention!!!

Pour the water in the vacuum seal bag with the food and eat out of it when it’s rehydrated. Then that vac bag is trash you don’t need to wash. Keep the Jetboil pot clean. Then you can have coffee or whatever hot drinks you like in the Jetboil pot and never need to wash it. Keep each days food ration in a 1 gallon ziplock (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Then when it’s all trash you can seal it up and keep Bear attracting food smells to a minimum.

Depending on where you are hunting… that last part about smells could be important.

.308 win with the right ammo is plenty for elk at reasonable ranges.

On the spotter question. If you are out for a trophy bull bring the lightest spotter/tripod combo you can get. Even if you aren’t after a trophy bring it anyway and leave it in the truck. If you are after any elk including a cow (if your tag allows it), all you need is your binocular. Seeing elk from over a mile away with an 8-10 binocular is actually pretty easy with quality glass and solid glassing technique. The spotter is for judging trophy quality.

“I plan to pack my rain gear and insulation pieces irrespective of the forecast”

Very wise choice. Wyoming mountains in October can be 60° and sunny in the afternoon, pour rain in the late afternoon and get down to the low teens (or possibly colder) and dump 8” of snow any time of day… all in one day. Not that all of those things are common in an average day but it happened where I hunt last October.

I think someone else mentioned how important your boots are. Very good advice. Get the best mountain boots you can afford and break them in. Also consider getting gaiters. I always wear gaiters for reasons I can elaborate on if you aren’t already sold on them.

Edit 👆
You have excellent boots and gaiters listed.

Last edited:
Two more things you didn’t ask about but I’ll say them anyway 😉

1- If you’ve never picked up an elk quarter, don’t overestimate how far you can pack an elk out over tough terrain. They are big heavy animals and the country will not likely provide easy walking.

2- If you live at or near sea level and haven’t spent time hiking at 8,000 to 10,000’ you will be much more tired than you might expect. You can work out and get in shape, that will help. But it will still kick your ass some. My wife moved to Laramie (where we met) from Florida when she was in her early 20’s. She was very fit. She got out of breath going to the 3rd floor of the dorms and couldn’t figure out why 😉

Last edited: