Hawaii Hunting

Holokai

FNG
Oahu resident here. Access isn’t great and a lot of the guys that hunt are asked to do eradication by various landowners/farms so I can see how it’s a pain for non-residents to hunt on Oahu.

Big Island probably has the most options for self-guided though you do get a shot at axis on Lanai.

As it was mentioned before, a lot of people here hunt (and fish) for meat as much or more than for sport so it’s a different mindset and I’ve come across people who are less than willing to share info.

Our state/local government sucks and the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) is always understaffed/underfunded. Sorry, not much help but to be honest it’s a pain in the @$$ for Hawaii residents too.

OP
haydenbates098
Oahu resident here. Access isn’t great and a lot of the guys that hunt are asked to do eradication by various landowners/farms so I can see how it’s a pain for non-residents to hunt on Oahu.

Big Island probably has the most options for self-guided though you do get a shot at axis on Lanai.

As it was mentioned before, a lot of people here hunt (and fish) for meat as much or more than for sport so it’s a different mindset and I’ve come across people who are less than willing to share info.

Our state/local government sucks and the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) is always understaffed/underfunded. Sorry, not much help but to be honest it’s a pain in the @$$ for Hawaii residents too.
Thank you for the info. That is helpful. I am going to just have to keep looking into it.

I have some good areas that I know that are public land easy access DIY hunts mostly archery for most flexibility. Let me know if you are still interested.

been to kauai 2x. the 2nd time I almost chased down a pig with a knife. could have killed at least 2 if I had a pistol or bow. could have killed at least 3 goats with a bow

A screenshot of the main Facebook hunting and fishing page here. I typically don’t see anyone helping anyone on this page, it’s funny it even exists. People post questions there that no one answers for a lot of the reasons posted in this thread.

It’s interesting hunting here, interesting place…

Attachments

• 342A4B09-07EF-44EB-8CD5-156FD271448F.png
    342A4B09-07EF-44EB-8CD5-156FD271448F.png
    436.6 KB · Views: 32
Moved to HI almost 2 years ago. I’ve been on 6 Lanai hunts in that time and made some great friends and met tons of helpful people. It’s all about how humble you come across. Oahu is a different story, but there are good people willing to help. I’ve even been offered a chance to take my son out with some local fellas for pigs. As soon as I find the number that I lost…