Hawaii Hunting

Hey all. I am currently looking into hunting Hawaii as a non resident with some buddies. I have kind of looked into it and want to try and go as cheap as possible, thus we do not want to do a guided trip. We would like to try and do a public land DIY for any species. Does not really matter. I just have no idea where to start. I have looked into it some and am kind of confused on how their public land system works. Does anybody have any experience with this that they could share? Anything would be great!

FLATHEAD

WKR
Very little info available online, at least when I went to Oahu.
Access to the public areas is very difficult to find.
After 3 days I found an entrance, gated/locked "due to aerial culling operations".
The locals could not/would not speak English when asked about hunting.
Even a local cop parked at one of the scenic overlooks.
I never pulled my bow out of the case.
Good Luck.

I actually have a thread titled "Hawaii Hunting" in this General Forum too. What island are you looking to hunt? Just visiting?

OP
haydenbates098
I actually have a thread titled "Hawaii Hunting" in this General Forum too. What island are you looking to hunt? Just visiting?
Honestly, whatever one has the best public hunting opportunities. And it would be a trip just to break up the off season of hunting. Looking to go sometime in the late spring/Early summer after bear season gets over. Also, whatever one has the most public land opportunity I suppose, as I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a guide. What island are you thinking about?

OP
haydenbates098
Very little info available online, at least when I went to Oahu.
Access to the public areas is very difficult to find.
After 3 days I found an entrance, gated/locked "due to aerial culling operations".
The locals could not/would not speak English when asked about hunting.
Even a local cop parked at one of the scenic overlooks.
I never pulled my bow out of the case.
Good Luck.
This is the problem I have ran into. I have not been able to find really any information online. It seems like a good gig, but when I started looking into it more, I feel like there is a ton of roadblocks.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Yes, I feel like the real problem is they dont ACTUALLY want you to hunt there.
But they will let you buy the license.
No guidance whatsoever.

My son and I (actually it was just my son), hunted Maui DIY early last year and had a great time. He was able to get a couple shots off on Spanish goats, but wasn't able to connect. We went back earlier this year, but they had a lot of flooding in the early winter of 2021 that washed out the road up to the area where we hunted, and we were told that it wouldn't be accessible again until May or so of this year, so unfortunately didn't get to hunt earlier this year. So, all that said, we're headed back in Dec. and I'll also be taking my bow to hopefully chase around those goats again. From what I understand, the Spanish goats aren't the best tasting meat, but they're very plentiful, and pretty difficult to get to within bow range of, which makes for some pretty exciting hunting IMO.

OP
haydenbates098
No guidance whatsoever.
Makes me think that a guided hunt would be the only way to go. Which isn't what I want to do. I would much rather do it on my own, feels much more satisfying that way for me.

This is a good read with some decent info, if you haven't already seen it.

OP
haydenbates098
This is a good read with some decent info, if you haven't already seen it.

That is the only article that I have found that seemed to be any sort of helpful honestly. I did read through that one. Would you mind if I got your number or sent you a PM to pick your brain on how you got everything organized and figured out how to pick a public land unit, etc?

JNDEER

WKR

Spend a night reading through it all. For DIY- I think the big island is your best bet. Different areas open at different times of the year. Some are draw / raffle. Some are open year round. Pigs, goats and the occasional lost sheep.

Honestly, whatever one has the best public hunting opportunities. And it would be a trip just to break up the off season of hunting. Looking to go sometime in the late spring/Early summer after bear season gets over. Also, whatever one has the most public land opportunity I suppose, as I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a guide. What island are you thinking about?
I’m on Oahu. I’ve been hunting here already, wasn’t too hard to figure out, but the “game” species here are limited to goats and pigs. So less things to go after here than the other islands. Goats don’t seem too complicated, I’ve been on them both times I’ve been out, but pigs are much more difficult considering the locals keep dogs to hunt the pigs, so that’s your competition. You can “DIY” axis deer on Lanai any time you want, just pay $400 a day to hunt rifle in the two “Pulama land” areas, or $100 to hunt archery for unlimited days in different archery areas.

OP
haydenbates098
I’m on Oahu. I’ve been hunting here already, wasn’t too hard to figure out, but the “game” species here are limited to goats and pigs. So less things to go after here than the other islands. Goats don’t seem too complicated, I’ve been on them both times I’ve been out, but pigs are much more difficult considering the locals keep dogs to hunt the pigs, so that’s your competition. You can “DIY” axis deer on Lanai any time you want, just pay $400 a day to hunt rifle in the two “Pulama land” areas, or $100 to hunt archery for unlimited days in different archery areas.
I would be going with archery for sure. I was told by someone that Lanai was purely private land and that there was not really any opportunity without hiring an outfitter or paying a trespassing fee. Is this "Puluma land" a draw or do you just pay the fee and get to hunt? Thank you for the info. This is really helpful!

I would be going with archery for sure. I was told by someone that Lanai was purely private land and that there was not really any opportunity without hiring an outfitter or paying a trespassing fee. Is this "Puluma land" a draw or do you just pay the fee and get to hunt? Thank you for the info. This is really helpful!
It’s correct that there is no “public land,” 97% of the island is owned by a billionaire. Even the “state land” for the state lottery hunt is leased to the state by the one guy. So private land is basically treated as paid public. No outfitter hiring required, just pay to access the Pulama land and go hunt. Pretty sure a day on the Pulama land gives you the right to take a buck and two does.

Edit for accuracy: basically three types of land on Lanai: land only accessible to the “state hunt”; land only accessible to the one guided client per day that books with the official outfitter Pineapple Bros; and Pulama land, the pay to DIY hunt land.

Last edited:
OP
haydenbates098
It’s correct that there is no “public land,” 97% of the island is owned by a billionaire. Even the “state land” for the state lottery hunt is leased to the state by the one guy. So private land is basically treated as paid public. No outfitter hiring required, just pay to access the Pulama land and go hunt. Pretty sure a day on the Pulama land gives you the right to take a buck and two does.

Edit for accuracy: basically three types of land on Lanai: land only accessible to the “state hunt”; land only accessible to the one guided client per day that books with the official outfitter Pineapple Bros; and Pulama land, the pay to DIY hunt land.
That website was super helpful, thank you! I think that might be the route we go. Is there only axis deer on Lanai, or is there options for other game as well?

That website was super helpful, thank you! I think that might be the route we go. Is there only axis deer on Lanai, or is there options for other game as well?
Mouflon sheep as well, although I'm not actually certain if mouflon sheep can be taken on the Pulama lands day hunts or not, the published hunting regulations on that Lanai website just say the bag limits are specific to the hunt or something along those lines. You'd need to call and ask that question.

The pulama archery areas he's referring to are not very large and get pounded year round by the lanai boys. They are putting in high fencing too around the four seasons manele resort and golf course too so it's getting even smaller. There's no bag limit on archery but that's bc it's a very tough hunt as the deer are very skittish from the yearround pressure. Just look on the sign out sheets it's gotten even worse with the recent droughts. You can shoot mouflon in these areas (sometimes they move through) but I think if during the state hunt you gotta get it checked out by one of the pulama rangers so they know you didn't poach it from the state land side. Ask them but I think they had some type of rule like that.

No guidance whatsoever.
Spot on right here! ☝

This is exactly what I experienced in Kauai on a DIY attempt for goats and I'm someone that geeks out on researching logistics/maps/regs of a hunt before I go. You'll need a chainsaw to cut through all the red tape there, if you can even find it.

The pulama archery areas he's referring to are not very large and get pounded year round by the lanai boys. They are putting in high fencing too around the four seasons manele resort and golf course too so it's getting even smaller. There's no bag limit on archery but that's bc it's a very tough hunt as the deer are very skittish from the yearround pressure. Just look on the sign out sheets it's gotten even worse with the recent droughts. You can shoot mouflon in these areas (sometimes they move through) but I think if during the state hunt you gotta get it checked out by one of the pulama rangers so they know you didn't poach it from the state land side. Ask them but I think they had some type of rule like that.
What he said. I haven't actually hunted Pulama land units yet, so no first hand knowledge. I probably will at some point next year, I will also be doing the state hunt.
Spot on right here! ☝

This is exactly what I experienced in Kauai on a DIY attempt for goats and I'm someone that geeks out on researching logistics/maps/regs of a hunt before I go. You'll need a chainsaw to cut through all the red tape there, if you can even find it.
Just curious if you could explain what red tape you encountered? I might be taking some of the knowledge I've gotten first-hand from guys that have hunted here already for granted, but I'm not bumping up against red tape so far. Possible it's different on Kauai from here though.

My son and I (actually it was just my son), hunted Maui DIY early last year and had a great time. He was able to get a couple shots off on Spanish goats, but wasn't able to connect. We went back earlier this year, but they had a lot of flooding in the early winter of 2021 that washed out the road up to the area where we hunted, and we were told that it wouldn't be accessible again until May or so of this year, so unfortunately didn't get to hunt earlier this year. So, all that said, we're headed back in Dec. and I'll also be taking my bow to hopefully chase around those goats again. From what I understand, the Spanish goats aren't the best tasting meat, but they're very plentiful, and pretty difficult to get to within bow range of, which makes for some pretty exciting hunting
Unfortunately it's still closed up there.