Have you moved out of state?

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Florida is an interesting state with a lot of transplants and retirees. We are in TN and southern hospitality is alive and well. We are religious and I appreciate that god is still a part of life out here. High school baseball teams kneel together in prayer before games. In travel ball the kids from both teams meet on the mound after the game and pray together…plus no state income tax is the cherry on top of the sundae :)
After FL I moved to UT and I definitely miss not having income tax

Fujicon

FNG
Utah has to be one of the worst states to live in…my wife and I will never go back.
Isn't it odd? There are only a handful of states I've never been in, but hands down the rudest place I've ever experienced is Utah. It just seems so danged odd. Even people in New York are not as rude. Usually western states are hospitable, perhaps not so much in terms of social protocols like folks in southern states, but in terms of genuine friendliness most westerners are pretty consistent. So what the hell gives with Utah? I can't explain it. There is great hunting in Utah, beautiful national parks and monuments, wide open spaces, more or less conservative culture... Just can't figure out why they choose to be so boorish.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Well Utah isn't looking good haha. I wished that tactic worked in Georgia. I'm a transplant from KY but been in GA most my life. Closing steel plants and coal mines killed much of KY. Very sad. But great hunting!

SWOHTR

WKR
Isn't it odd? There are only a handful of states I've never been in, but hands down the rudest place I've ever experienced is Utah. It just seems so danged odd. Even people in New York are not as rude. Usually western states are hospitable, perhaps not so much in terms of social protocols like folks in southern states, but in terms of genuine friendliness most westerners are pretty consistent. So what the hell gives with Utah? I can't explain it. There is great hunting in Utah, beautiful national parks and monuments, wide open spaces, more or less conservative culture... Just can't figure out why they choose to be so boorish.
Well…I can think of a reason but I’ll leave it at that.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
We were on a two week road trip in 2014 that took us through Utah. My wife was talking to the lady at the front desk and told her how we missed southern hospitality. We told her that people seem a little rude out here. She replied, “it’s those damn Mormons”! Hahaha! No offense to the Mormons. Her words, not mine.

We were on a two week road trip in 2014 that took us through Utah. My wife was talking to the lady at the front desk and told her how we missed southern hospitality. We told her that people seem a little rude out here. She replied, “it’s those damn Mormons”! Hahaha! No offense to the Mormons. Her words, not mine.
It's the Mormon crickets. People are much nicer in the winter

Fujicon

FNG
Well…I can think of a reason but I’ll leave it at that.
Scanned online and a lot of people share pretty negative feelings about Utah. Following are just a fraction of comments from people who live in Utah derived from just one website, thetoptens.com:
  • "Utah needs to change because as of right now, it is the rudest state on the west coast, and that is saying something because nobody likes a Californian."
  • "I am originally from the South where people overall are pretty kind and accepting. Since moving to Utah and living here for several years I have become guarded, bitter, tough, and overall depressed. The people here are not only unkind, but they are insincere and superficial. If you don't fit the mold, you really truly are treated as sub human."
  • "Been here 7 years and I am of the same faith as the majority of Utah and the people are horrible. Entitled, hypocrites, complete phonies."
  • "People in Utah have no manners. They are loud, obnoxious, and self-centered."
  • "People here are so rude in every possible way. People actually go out of their way to be rude on the road."
  • "Utahns have a facade of being nice, but scratch the surface just a touch and you will see some of the worst human beings on the planet. They are thoughtless, self-centered hypocrites. I am a member of the prevalent religion (although thank the Lord I was not raised here) and I am ashamed at how these people act."
  • "I have lived here my whole life and I hate it. The people ARE TERRIBLE. Every time I get into my car I have to wonder will some douche nugget kill me today? Entitled people everywhere, nobody matters except themselves. All the comments I can agree with 110%."
It goes on and on like that...

SWOHTR

WKR
Scanned online and a lot of people share pretty negative feelings about Utah. Following are just a fraction of comments from people who live in Utah derived from just one website, thetoptens.com:
  • "Utah needs to change because as of right now, it is the rudest state on the west coast, and that is saying something because nobody likes a Californian."
  • "I am originally from the South where people overall are pretty kind and accepting. Since moving to Utah and living here for several years I have become guarded, bitter, tough, and overall depressed. The people here are not only unkind, but they are insincere and superficial. If you don't fit the mold, you really truly are treated as sub human."
  • "Been here 7 years and I am of the same faith as the majority of Utah and the people are horrible. Entitled, hypocrites, complete phonies."
  • "People in Utah have no manners. They are loud, obnoxious, and self-centered."
  • "People here are so rude in every possible way. People actually go out of their way to be rude on the road."
  • "Utahns have a facade of being nice, but scratch the surface just a touch and you will see some of the worst human beings on the planet. They are thoughtless, self-centered hypocrites. I am a member of the prevalent religion (although thank the Lord I was not raised here) and I am ashamed at how these people act."
  • "I have lived here my whole life and I hate it. The people ARE TERRIBLE. Every time I get into my car I have to wonder will some douche nugget kill me today? Entitled people everywhere, nobody matters except themselves. All the comments I can agree with 110%."
It goes on and on like that...
It’s an unfortunate sentiment I do agree.

Although a lot of that list describes someone from SoCal too.

Blandry

WKR
I work for the feds and have moved around quite a bit. Grew up in Idaho and Utah, lived in Cali for 7 years (hated it) am currently in the southeast and love it. The people in the south are amazing and it has been a great place to raise kids. Parents are still in Idaho and I travel back half a dozen times a year to hunt/fish with buddies and golf with my dad. I bought my son and I lifetime idaho hunting licenses, but I am pretty high up in my agency and have enough time and money to hunt out of state and pay non resident fees etc. In my experience, southern states are far more conservative politically than Utah, Idaho, and Montana. My other hobby is golf - both my kids and my wife play and I love how we can play year round. I don’t have any winter hobbies, so the snow is an annoyance more than anything.

I grew up in the Southeast, and while I do miss SEC football in person (it's the best!), and the food, I don't miss the heat and humidity. I woke up this morning, put on a fleece top, and went for a run in 60 degrees and single-digit humidity. It's heaven to me.

I grew up in the Southeast, and while I do miss SEC football in person (it's the best!), and the food, I don't miss the heat and humidity. I woke up this morning, put on a fleece top, and went for a run in 60 degrees and single-digit humidity. It's heaven to me.
Fair - but you also don’t get to golf in 65 degree weather in December and January :)

IMG_4916.png
I love running in the heat. When bow season opens in sept and it’s in 90s makes hiking around feel cool. Summers are brutal but a pool makes it tolerable. I will glaldy take the heat over any snow and temps below 40-50 degrees for lows.

Blandry

WKR
Fair - but you also don’t get to golf in 65 degree weather in December and January :)
You know I can golf in December and January up here! It could be a crisp 50 degrees and sunny all year. The SUN at altitude. We have 2 months of bad weather and can have snow on the ground in the morning and have 50 degrees at noon with zero snow. PERFECT golf weather. Haven't you seen the snow bikinis??
haha

I grew up in south Alabama, spent the first 22 years of my life there.

When I was young child looking through different Readers Digest books at my grandparents house I remember flipping through one of the fish books, seeing pictures of trout and thinking "wow those look really cool" only to discover there wasn't a place to catch those anywhere near by. I should probably also mention that my family wasn't well off, so it wasn't like we took vacations.

Fast forward to high school. Google image search had just been invented. Me and my high school sweetheart that I was totally gonna spend forever with(spoiler alert - that didn't happen) started looking at places with mountains. We were googling different states and we landed on Montana. THAT was where we were going.

Fast forward to after high school. I met my now wife. She does a year or so stint of travel nursing and we end up in western Washington. We decided we liked it, and its close enough to Montana. I guess I should mention in between high school and meeting my wife I took a job as a long haul truck driver for a year or so that took me to a lot of the states plus training for a couple months in SLC, UT that really solidified my desire to move west.

I love Idaho and Montana and would still love to live there, but realistically speaking we'd be taking a massive QoL hit moving to either one of those states. The real estate is as much if not more than here, and the work just doesn't pay as much. We could make it work, but we'd be working a lot more with a lot less time for outdoors stuff... kinda defeats the purpose of moving there.

The closest compromise I could think of would be moving to far eastern Washington. Work pays less but not grossly so, and being able to spend time over there on a regular weekend would sure be nice vs. being at least 6 hours away.

def90

WKR
I moved from Minnesota to Colorado back in 2000. In Minnesota I felt stuck hanging with the same group of people going nowhere. It was basically work and the bar. Worked on a house in Jackson Wy in 97-98 and then visited my sister that was going to CU in 99 and made the decision that the mountains were for me. I had briefly debated going to NC as my dad lives on the coast in Wilmington but the economy and job market in Wilmington was pretty bad back then. I've been getting the moving feeling again lately though with all that is going on in Colorado. Thinking of either Idaho or the Texas Hill Country area between SA and Austin.

Blandry

WKR
I moved from Minnesota to Colorado back in 2000. In Minnesota I felt stuck hanging with the same group of people going nowhere. It was basically work and the bar. Worked on a house in Jackson Wy in 97-98 and then visited my sister that was going to CU in 99 and made the decision that the mountains were for me. I had briefly debated going to NC as my dad lives on the coast in Wilmington but the economy and job market in Wilmington was pretty bad back then. I've been getting the moving feeling again lately though with all that is going on in Colorado. Thinking of either Idaho or the Texas Hill Country area between SA and Austin.
I moved from New Braunfels, TX, to the Denver area back in 2019 (3 months pre-covid). It's pretty packed down there, and there's only one way to get north/south (I35). I recommend you visit before moving down there. I loved central/south TX and would move back, but everyone wants to live there now, and I want to live where no one else does.

MNGrouser

FNG
I grew up in Wisconsin. Like all good cheeseheads I was taught the only thing worse than Minnesota was Illinois. Yet somehow when I graduated high school I ended up at college in Minnesota. I met a Minnesota girl and decided maybe they weren't so bad after all. Law school for 3 years in Nebraska. I moved back to Minnesota for that girl I met where I took and passed the Minnesota bar. The girl is gone (Guess I was right about that all along) but I remain in Minnesota. I'm too established in my career for a fresh start. I do like visiting the wide open spaces of the west though!

def90

WKR
I moved from New Braunfels, TX, to the Denver area back in 2019 (3 months pre-covid). It's pretty packed down there, and there's only one way to get north/south (I35). I recommend you visit before moving down there. I loved central/south TX and would move back, but everyone wants to live there now, and I want to live where no one else does.

So you moved to Denver? :/

My only other childhood friend that escaped Minnesota around the same time I did lives in New Braunfels so I'm well aware of the area. Have seen several bands at Gruene Hall, been to Wurstfest, have tubed the chutes downtown on the Comal and have been to the gun show at the local convention center.

I read recently that the Austin growth has stalled out and home prices actually dropped for the first time in the last decade. Don't know how true that is.