Have you moved out of state?

Former Midwesterner (mostly MN but also WI for a bit) that moved to NM for awhile then eventually ID. I moved my family for the adventure but also to be out west hunting.

Moving west was maybe the 3rd or 4th best thing I’ve ever done. Not sure I’ve met anybody that regrets it.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I moved from the people’s republic of Illinois to Iowa 25 years ago I don’t regret that at all looks like I was just ahead of the trend

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest reason: Lack of humidity! Holy cow, a summer of dry heat blew my mind and was totally unexpected! I enjoy the outdoors so much more in the dry heat (and therefore cooler summer evenings). Am I the only non-native that values that?

This is definitely a huge benefit. Lack of humidity and bugs.

TaperPin

WKR
There seems to be a common trait with people that want to move - there’s an unmet need that motivates. However, often the idea of a place is much different from reality, or at least the reality the person creates.

The ones most likely to resettle well, are the ones who are happy living where they are. Those that tend to burn bridges will eventually burn bridges in the new place. Those that make friends, will have friends where ever they go. The most particular, with the most complaints, will have the hardest time because, while some things might improve, many things will be worse.

Anytime someone new moves to town, any town from Alaska to Colorado to Wyoming or Idaho, the biggest predictor of how long they will last seems to be how similar it is to where they came from.

When someone asks if I think they would like a certain type of job or place to live I almost always say no, they wouldn’t. If they really wanted to live somewhere they would have already moved - if they are on the fence right out of the gate, the odds are low they will like it enough to make it work.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
There are lots of people that regret it. All the idiots that keep Texas (or insert sucky state) bumperstickers on their car 7-8 years after they move. Sometimes they will figure out where they are, and sometimes they don't.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
These types of threads are always interesting to me. Lots of interesting perspectives, ideas, and recommendations. Some potentially funny stuff too: "I miss Appalachia... especially my sister." (Imagine dualing banjos)

I believe that how you adjust to a move, how successful you are, depends a lot on your personality and how much you can adapt. I find that people that have difficulty adapting and adjusting to change coupled with less than positive attitudes have the most difficulty. But that's a great big "duh", right?

We've made multiple moves based on family and career opportunities. When I hear locals say things like, "huh...where is that? I've lived here all my life and I've never been there....heard of that, etc." I know we're doing well at enjoying the experience.

@dylanvb, like you we recently moved from the SD area to No. Colorado. Outside of way northern California I think the San Diego area is still one of the best places to live/be if you have to be in CA. The climate and geography are awesome. We did so much bird hunting, deer hunting and fishing there. We also did a lot of sightseeing and exploring.

I love No. CO however Outside of Fort Collins, politically the area where we live fits me better. And even Fort Collins has some fun stuff. But overall long-term I have concerns about Colorado's political future. But I have to same concerns for most every state in this Republic. I don't think there's a "best place to live" or an ideal place to live. There will always be compromise, negatives and changes.

Billinsd

WKR
There seems to be a common trait with people that want to move - there’s an unmet need that motivates. However, often the idea of a place is much different from reality, or at least the reality the person creates.

The ones most likely to resettle well, are the ones who are happy living where they are. Those that tend to burn bridges will eventually burn bridges in the new place. Those that make friends, will have friends where ever they go. The most particular, with the most complaints, will have the hardest time because, while some things might improve, many things will be worse.

Anytime someone new moves to town, any town from Alaska to Colorado to Wyoming or Idaho, the biggest predictor of how long they will last seems to be how similar it is to where they came from.
Extremely insightful!!! I don’t have any delusions anymore at 61. I’m not happy in San Diego and I know in other states and towns many things would improve, especially red states. However, I know many things would be worse or frustrating. I’ve ALWAYS had a mind of my own and will go against the grain to some degree. I dislike secret handshakes, unwritten rules and the like in general. I’m extremely opinionated and speak my mind. I crave intelligent conversation and debates. I’m a thinker, an over thinker and quite OCD. I’m very loud. I’d worry I might unintentionally offend someone in a small town and everyone would hate me. Living in the suburbs and being pretty invisible is nice.

Moved VA to AK
-slower pace of life
-shorter commutes (I'm on an island)
-world class hunting and fishing at your fingertips

I drove to Colorado from Wisconsin mid-90's, on a Friday. Found a job and apartment on Saturday and drove home. Hit Wisconsin, shoved $500 in my pocket and packed my car and hit the road back. Stayed for a couple years until a family health situation made me return.
I regret coming back daily but that 2 years shaped my life.

Weldor

WKR
IMO. I think if your indepent and self motivated you'll do well just about anywhere. Politic's aside (ugh!) small communities just seem to be better places.

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
3 years ago from Sacramento foothills to small mountain town Idaho. Best idea I ever had, zero regrets. No place is perfect, but the quality of life and community here are pretty special. Fantastic place to raise my kids, I'm constantly thinking "I can't believe my kids get to grow up here" or "they have no idea how good they have it".

An outdoor recreation paradise (including local and abundant hunting). 4 seasons instead of "hot" & "little bit rainy".

Only 2 things I occasionally miss: the food (but now I just cook more of my own favorites) and the old friends.

If you can find your happy place and make it happen....I recommend it.

WKR
We moved west the first time 29 years ago. Moved back again 20 years ago. I'd pick somewhere besides CO but in the late 90s it was pretty awesome.

Blandry

WKR
We have seasons here. Hot and Cold.
You forgot the hail and tornado seasons :). With all due respect, I love OK. I would drive up from TX to OKC/Norman and teach classes at our federal academy for a decade. It was actually a reprise from the south texas heat.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up in Idaho, moved to Utah for undergrad. Then to Virginia for med school, then Ohio for residency and fellowship. Finally landed in Montana last year and hoping to make it our long term home.

TaperPin

WKR
I had to chuckle when this thread brought up a funny couple I know that moved above the arctic circle in Alaska - they didn’t hunt, didn’t fish, no winter sports - mainly they were readers. Their move included something like 2000 lbs of books and they subscribed to over 100 journals and magazines (magazines are like blogs, but printed on paper for you young guys).

I would have predicted they would hate it, but both said the location didn’t change how they spent time and it was as enjoyable as anywhere they’ve lived, if anything there were fewer distractions and it was more relaxing. Lol

7RemMag

FNG
I’m 24 years old. Grew up in Northcentral PA. Between a rapidly changing political climate, a somewhat dismal future in what had always been a somewhat depressed area, and urban creep drove me West to Sundance, Wyoming. My parents and my sister (who graduated this May) moved out here as well less than a year later.

It hasn’t always been easy, as one can expect of a 1600 mile move. I miss some friends and family. That is virtually the only negative, as opposed to a whole heap of positives.

I moved to Washington from North Carolina. I will never in my life move back east after experiencing the West