Have you moved out of state?

Grew up in central WI. Worked in mines in WV and CO in the summers while in college. Settled in CO for 35 years....bowhunted everything down there, married a CO girl. We were planning to leave CO when I retired.

Got recruited to come up to BC right after I retired the first time. Made the move to Canada 15 years ago. Worked 6 more years and retired again up here. We got dual citizenship, built a house, bow hunted a bunch of new species and have enjoyed living in the interior of BC.

We plan to stay here...similar drug problems and political issues that plague a lot of the US, but in general we are able to avoid them. Wouldn't change a thing.

We honey mooned in Alaska. We rented a car and drove a lot but we hiked more than we drove. If it wasn't for the darkness in winter, we'd be going there as well.
If you’re from WI and considering to move to Southcentral AK, it’s not much different in regards to winter daylight. I’m from Southcentral ND and my whole life went to and from school/work in the dark for a couple months a year. It’s about the same here and it changes FAST. The few times we notice is on the weekends near solstice when we’re trying to get out and there are only 4 hours of daylight. But ski resorts have lights here and snow machines have headlights, so we don’t worry much about it.

As long as you’re not north of about Talkeetna, the darkness is not a big deal as it’s made to be. The damn rain in May and August is much more depressing and cumbersome than the dark in January!

OP
B

Beauseph

FNG
If you’re from WI and considering to move to Southcentral AK, it’s not much different in regards to winter daylight. I’m from Southcentral ND and my whole life went to and from school/work in the dark for a couple months a year. It’s about the same here and it changes FAST. The few times we notice is on the weekends near solstice when we’re trying to get out and there are only 4 hours of daylight. But ski resorts have lights here and snow machines have headlights, so we don’t worry much about it.

As long as you’re not north of about Talkeetna, the darkness is not a big deal as it’s made to be.
It's funny you mention that because I felt that was the case and did some comparisons using weather applications and found, while there is longer darkness in AK, it's not substantial.

We loved Alaska. Another thorn was the increased distance from family and additional costs associated.

Yoder

WKR
I was born in PA. I've lived in TX,NM,OR,VA and VT. All of my moves were work related. Either promotions, more money or avoiding layoffs. I eventually wound up moving back to PA. It's great having family within a two hr drive. There are beautiful places and good hunting in every state if you look for it.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
After 44 years in Nebraska, we uprooted and moved to Southeast Wyoming a week after my oldest daughter graduated high school along with my youngest being a freshman in high school. We sold all of our property and placed all of our trust in Jesus. A year later, we all agree that’s it’s been very good. New jobs, new friends and neighbors and so far it’s all work out.

Thankfully we went from one red state to another so the transition has been pretty smooth. We don’t have any plans to go back.

Seth

WKR
If you want to try it, just do it. Born in KS, but my folks moved often. I went to 3 high schools in three states. It prepared me well for a career in mining. As an adult, I went to college in MO, moved to TX, CO, back to Mo, then IL and now NM. There’s great things to be found in most every state, if you’re willing to look. So many people never take a chance and live a lifetime in the same place. If a move doesn’t suit, you can do it again.

Billinsd

WKR
Its crazy how much the Phoenix area has exploded, even in the last couple years. Went down there in 2021 and was like, "eh, lots of people but not horrible." Was down there in March and was like "Yea, nope."

But AZ isnt full yet. I am not there. Then it is full.
Phoenix isn't full yet!! Lots of vertical room to grow. Tear down all those crappy houses on big lots with the swamp coolers and replace them with densly packed, high rise apartments. Lots of water too, when recycling from sewage to potable water gets going and watering yards and golf courses becomes illegal. Actually all the golf courses will get developed. This hasn't happened yet in Phoenix yet, because it's such a hell hole, but it's coming, because poor California's are headed there in droves. I remember how really nice Sun City was in the 60s and 70s when my Grand Parents lived there and the nice memories. "Prisket", Az and Sonoita are the nicest areas in Arizona. Prisket is on my shortlist.

Billinsd

WKR
Every good place whether beach, mountains, island or lake is too crowded and / or too expensive. There are just too many people. Everywhere.
Too crowded yes, however they will become much, much more crowded. There are millions and millions of people pouring into the country!!! I believe there is a huge housing bubble, especially in places like Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and other crappy cities and it will crash hard. This has happened before in these places over the past decades. Coastal cities like San Diego will stumple down some, but the weather is so excellent and there is so much entertainment and the crime isn't as crazy as LA, Phoenix, Vegas, and San Francisco. San Diego is the premier big Coastal City to live in, in the west coast for MOST. To me it's a big rat race, high stress, high pressure, demanding city. Not the quiet, sleepy, Republican, Navy, Military town anymore. I'm headed to the Prairie, except for the winter. The Prairie isn't cool, or hip, it's rural, people are nice, hunting and fishing is excellent and it's completely full except for me and I'm headed that way!!

IdahoSwede

Lil-Rokslider
I think it'd be interesting to talk about/hear about why people left their home states and where they went.

Personally, I'm seriously considering leaving WI for a western state - primarily looking at Idaho, Montana, or Utah - probably in that order as well in regards to preference.

Several reasons:

1. Hunting / outdoor freedom is greater / more enjoyable
2. Mountains!
3. More conservative (lines up with my beliefs)
4. Slower pace of life
5. Something new, challenging

We will see what happens. I have a work obligation that prevents me from moving for 1-2 years yet.
I grew up in Wisconsin and moved to Idaho. while I love Idaho and have nothing bad to say don’t turn your nose up at the outdoor scene in Wisconsin. You have 13000 miles of largely accessible trout streams and 15000 lakes to explore. Before you move make sure you really know what you’re leaving :)

Last edited:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Born and raised in WI. Moved away after college to MO, loved it there, bought land, still own it. Turkey and deer hunting is great. Still go back there every year. Jobs for me and my wife moved us to WA. Fishing/crabbing is great, hunting not so much. You're 3 choices would all be great.

Grew up in Buffalo, NY, finished undergraduate in Syracuse at the Forestry school. Went to Missoula, MT for grad school in '97 and knew within weeks I was never going back. Short stints in Salt Lake City and Salmon, ID starting my career. Been in Boise since '05.

Why? Yes, public lands are a big reason. Hunting is better, but its not everything. Fishing is better out East. And of course, seeing family only once a year is a real downer.

Biggest reason: Lack of humidity! Holy cow, a summer of dry heat blew my mind and was totally unexpected! I enjoy the outdoors so much more in the dry heat (and therefore cooler summer evenings). Am I the only non-native that values that?

IDShane

WKR
Lived in Central Wisconsin for my first 36 yrs moved to NW Wisconsin for the next 8 and I have been in SW Idaho for the past 6 years. We really love the west and will never move back to the Midwest. It is very expensive to get settled in but once you do you are good to go. I always think about living in other Western States but I think we will likely stay right here.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
After going back to visit relatives and friends in the Midwest summers for 25 years, I have determined it is uninhabitable there. The heat and humidity is stupid bad. I am from WI, my wife from MI, both are the same. Oh, and then it's 30 below in the winter. No thanks.

tony

WKR
Short move from northern Ohio to WV for work back in 1991. Met a girl shortly after, had a child.
Her and I split amicably. Daughter is grown and gone. I keep a little apt here in my little town in WV. No real reason I stay here as I have nobody here. I guess politics and the gun laws if I had to say. I date a girl in a very liberal town in in Ohio about 45 minutes from me. I like the area, just can't live there, politics and price. Never understood if the democrats are for the "common man" why are their areas so damned expensive to live in.
My folks while in fine health are getting older, so I need to stay a few hours from them I feel. As much as I hate the thought, I've considered moving back home.

IDVortex

WKR
OR, GA, OR, WA, OR, ID.

Love idaho, or more of love the old idaho of about 5 years ago, not the new Idaho.

Wife and I have talked about moving back to the east coast, but family is here and when it comes down to it. I can't leave the mountains. MT is another place, but it isn't any cheaper then ID, id love to move to WY, but wife isn't for that one.