Have you moved out of state?

CorbLand

WKR
Thanks, had'nt had my coffee yet. I was still grumpy.
Its crazy how much the Phoenix area has exploded, even in the last couple years. Went down there in 2021 and was like, "eh, lots of people but not horrible." Was down there in March and was like "Yea, nope."

But AZ isnt full yet. I am not there. Then it is full.

Reactions: OMB

Weldor

WKR
Its crazy how much the Phoenix area has exploded, even in the last couple years. Went down there in 2021 and was like, "eh, lots of people but not horrible." Was down there in March and was like "Yea, nope."

But AZ isnt full yet. I am not there. Then it is full.
Right on. I might have to vacate when it gets to crowded. You can fill my place.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Moving is part of the life for me, as much as I dislike it. It’s funny to me hearing that you want to leave WI, I grew up, went to college there, and all I really want to do is move back. Lived in MS, NJ, Turkey, VA, Germany, and VA again. Moving to AL in three weeks, but that will just be for a year.

I can’t wait until I can retire and be done with picking up and moving all the time.

I think it'd be interesting to talk about/hear about why people left their home states and where they went.

Personally, I'm seriously considering leaving WI for a western state - primarily looking at Idaho, Montana, or Utah - probably in that order as well in regards to preference.

Several reasons:

1. Hunting / outdoor freedom is greater / more enjoyable
2. Mountains!
3. More conservative (lines up with my beliefs)
4. Slower pace of life
5. Something new, challenging

We will see what happens. I have a work obligation that prevents me from moving for 1-2 years yet.
Left WI in 2011 and moved to UT. I wish I would have moved to CO. I left because I was tired of struggling to find places to hunt and the mountains have always called to me. The slower pace of life is mostly gone as places are filling up. Housing is ridiculously expensive.

SonnyDay

WKR
MI > OR > AK > VA > CT > NY > CO… Colorado has too many people for my taste. Alaska is my spiritual home, but my wife (who I met there) just couldn’t do the winters. CO is a good compromise… and beats the pants off the northeast!

Moved from PA to GA. I was glad to make the move. There are so many more good jobs in the south than the north. No wonder its turning to a democratic welfare state up there.

Our next move will for sure be out west somewhere. Colorado or Wyoming

OP
B

Beauseph

FNG
I've lived in most the Western States other than CA and CO/NM. Lived in 2 states back east and currently in a foreign country.

I haven't had issues with people being unwelcoming, but if you drive like an idiot with out of state plates you will draw ire. We also would refer to "Cidiots" who get their rigs stuck in the ruts/ditches at trailheads or in a couple inches of snow.

On your list I don't think any of them can go wrong. I would also look at AZ (not the best fishing) but Flagstaff/Snowflake are generally nice towns, good hunting. And during the winter only a 2-3 hour drive to Phoenix so you can get out of the cold. When my wife and I went to AZ to look for places to live she had a terrible allergic reaction, otherwise there is a chance that is where I would land up in the mountains.
Thanks for the suggestion! I fear that AZ is similar to WI politically, though.

OP
B

Beauseph

FNG
I am 71 and wife is 66. We are moving to Alaska the end of June. Moving is a PITA but it is also very exciting to experience new places
We honey mooned in Alaska. We rented a car and drove a lot but we hiked more than we drove. If it wasn't for the darkness in winter, we'd be going there as well.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I think it'd be interesting to talk about/hear about why people left their home states and where they went.

Personally, I'm seriously considering leaving WI for a western state - primarily looking at Idaho, Montana, or Utah - probably in that order as well in regards to preference.

Several reasons:

2. Mountains!
4. Slower pace of life

We will see what happens. I have a work obligation that prevents me from moving for 1-2 years yet.
I moved out of So. Cal. in 2022. I think the fact I'm on this forum goes to show how different I am from the majority of the people that live in that state.
Have horses and wanted affordable land, wanted to hunt more and get out of the city, slower pace of life, enjoy life more. Get out of the rat race. We landed in Northern Colorado and politically it isn't much different then CA which sucks because I am dealing with all the same stuff that CA has passed recently but I am hopeful that people will start waking up. I will never move back to CA.

Mojave

WKR
I don't know of a western state that doesn't have problems, but I don't know of any state that doesn't have problems.

You should drink the cool aid no matter where you are from. All these idiots from Turkey and Portugal here in Germany with their Turkey and Portuguese flags flying are the same as that idiot from Colorado in Wyoming. So dumb. Just be like the damn Borg already and assilimate.

Mojave

WKR

Several reasons:

2. Mountains!
4. Slower pace of life

There is something like a 40 page forum post about this already.

Mojave

WKR
I am 71 and wife is 66. We are moving to Alaska the end of June. Moving is a PITA but it is also very exciting to experience new places
Do it, hell of an adventure. Even if you both get up there and hate it, at least you did it.

Packed the truck one Friday and moved. It’s been good but I wish I could do it again. Family keeps me stuck, for now….

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm originally MI, spent nearly a decade in WA till that got too crowed, tired of the rain, low hunting options, etc. Also had kids and all the family was back in MI so it made for long/expensive trips for everyone involved. I love mountains so I moved to CO a 12yrs ago. Generally I like CO but it is getting crowed/expensive (which I can deal with), its still not ideal for family visiting regularly but better (I can deal with), the politics on hunting and firearms at the state level long term has be rather nervous to be honest and for the first time thinking retirement may not be in CO... also I am getting a little pressure about being closer to parents who are aging.

I don't know what the right answer is for a mellow place that isn't trying to control you via politics (looking at you too far right, its not just the lefties that are meddling in the lives of others, you need to piss off too).

Left WI in 2011 and moved to UT. I wish I would have moved to CO. I left because I was tired of struggling to find places to hunt and the mountains have always called to me. The slower pace of life is mostly gone as places are filling up. Housing is ridiculously expensive.
You'd have the same issues in CO, its filling up and getting expensive, and lefty which also means getting soft on the rising crime.

Mojave

WKR
With over three decades serving "Unc Sam", I have been to forty-eight states and seventeen countries.
My wife grew up in WY and we vacationed there for nearly three decades.

When I retired we moved to WY. Wyoming is becoming a very purple state, along with most Western states. The politicians may say they are conservative republicans... but they do that to get elected. Many are liberals running on the Republican ticket just to get voted in.
One just has to look at their voting record and where they get their capaign $$$ from to see the light.

Hunting here is becoming a zoo. Everything is a competition to get to the animal first. Yes I hunt WY, but when I really want to "hunt" and not compete in a race for a shot at an animal, I go back East to hunt whitetails.

There is no perfect place and the grass isn't always greener. There is better and there is worse... yes.
Either coast is a nightmare in taxes, policies, traffic and crowding.

Pick anywhere in between with a good cost of living and enjoy it for what it is.
The Northern Rockies cost of living has gotten so much worse since Covid. Wyoming got hit hard by folks who came out to the see the eclipse in 2017. Covid made it worse.

The youtube travel personality people are keeping it insane.

I am a Wyoming native. My heart wants to be in Wyoming, but that may not be something we decide to do a as a family.

No perfect place. No perfect hunting states, no perfect job work life balance situation.

Unless you have several million dollars and can afford to melt yourself into the mountain towns that have limited tourism and tons of public land.

Maxhunter

WKR
Went into the AF in 1982 and got stationed in Wyoming. I grew up in Oregon before that in the country. Moved around lots of different places since I stayed until retirement after wearing the uniform for 25yrs. Wyoming was the best place I ever lived and moved back. You have to deal with the weather but as a fisherman & hunter Wyoming has it all imo.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Every good place whether beach, mountains, island or lake is too crowded and / or too expensive. There are just too many people. Everywhere.