Havalon saw blade capability

LargeAvos

FNG
I’ve been looking for a lightweight saw for gutting coastal black bears and black tail deer. I have the silky pocket boy but I am a bit drawn away from it by its weight because I am backpack hunting. I saw recently in another post that Havalon makes a saw blade and am curious and its ability to cut through pelvis and chest cavity bone. Does anyone have experience with it and what it may be capable of?

There is really no reason to split the pelvis bone when gutting an animal. Learn to cut around the anus and pull it through the pelvis back toward the belly. For splitting the chest I like to use a folding saw like the wicked tree gear saw. Another option is to use a stronger bladed knife and cut through the cartilage on the lower portion of the ribcage but this requires a little bit more skill.

Drenalin

WKR
The Havalon saw blades are flimsy and don't work well. If you must use saw and don't want to carry the weight of a real one, either Sagen saw or a 6" reciprocating saw blade with some duct tape wrapped around the bottom like a handle works fine.

OP
L

LargeAvos

FNG
There is really no reason to split the pelvis bone when gutting an animal. Learn to cut around the anus and pull it through the pelvis back toward the belly. For splitting the chest I like to use a folding saw like the wicked tree gear saw. Another option is to use a stronger bladed knife and cut through the cartilage on the lower portion of the ribcage but this requires a little bit more skill.
Are you just pulling it back through the pelvis hole it goes through?
Do you think the Havalon Saw would not be strong enough for the chest?
@Drenalin i like your idea of using a saw blade just taped up.

Are you just pulling it back through the pelvis hole it goes through?
Do you think the Havalon Saw would not be strong enough for the chest?
@Drenalin i like your idea of using a saw blade just taped up.
Yes, just cut around it from the outside, once it’s mostly free then push it through. When you make your incision to open the belly you finish pulling it through. This is how I gut animals in the field and hundreds of beef and pigs every year.

WaWox

FNG
I have sawed through the pelvis and some ribcage cartilage + stubborn stuff in joints to remove hooves on two blacktail deer with one havalon sawblade and will take the same sawblade with me again this year, don't think I need to replace it yet.

They are definitely *thin*, so you do risk breaking them if you use it wrong. On the flip side, thinner = less material to cut = easier work.

I've used the Baracuta sized saw blade to cut muley and elk legs and spines with no problem, numerous cuts with one blade. I've actually considered switching to the Baracuta sized knife for all my gutting work. Its not that much bigger, and really like the scalpel blades as well. So with the saw using the same handle its really versatile and would be a dual use size weight savings in my pack.

I haven’t used a saw to cut off an elk or deer leg in years. Use a knife to score around the joint closest to the hoof, bend backwards and apply a little bit of pressure and it will break at the joint quite easily. That’s how I take off the legs of domestic animals as well. If a saw is easier for anyone to use then by all means use it but I encourage learning other methods as well.

WaWox

FNG
I haven’t used a saw to cut off an elk or deer leg in years. Use a knife to score around the joint closest to the hoof, bend backwards and apply a little bit of pressure and it will break at the joint quite easily. That’s how I take off the legs of domestic animals as well. If a saw is easier for anyone to use then by all means use it but I encourage learning other methods as well.
100% agree that outside of ribcage cartilage and pelvis cartilage/bone, even a flimsy knife in a skilled hand can sever every other connection -- no saw needed.

When I slaughter domestic animals, I don't use a saw for any component, actually -- well, at least until butchering (marrow bones and ribs are easier with a sawzall!) -- with the sturdier butcher knives I have the luxury to use at home, I dont use a saw even for pelvis/ribs. But in the field, sometimes a hoof is in a weird position or you are working around annoying brush, and I have been happy to use a saw to speed stuff up :)

WoodBow

WKR
Yes, just cut around it from the outside, once it’s mostly free then push it through. When you make your incision to open the belly you finish pulling it through. This is how I gut animals in the field and hundreds of beef and pigs every year.
I take it a step further. I find no need to cut the rectum/anus out at all. If I gut an animal (I rarely do), I pull the guts out and sever the distal bowel/rectum as far down as possible. Basically at the pelvic floor. Then I quarter the animal and the rear quarters come off the plevis with no involvement of the anus. I was taught to cut it out but at some point I realized it was totally unnecessary.