Just hanging out in the

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Somehow , my beautiful wife n me were able to get picked in a lottery and able to stake 20 acres in a remote part of AK. And get a cabin built.
Having a place to crawl into n get warm n dry has allowed me to be able to just hang out along the edge of the little pond out front. Watch. After the years a few critters like wolves get to know you or me I guess. At least know when I'm there and then where I am. I do get a kick how they leave me turds as gifts.
They give the moose a hard time so there's that. Yeppers I've missed. Huge pure white another grey white black. Beautiful dog.
I'll own it. Eye doctor said I no longer have any debth perception. Sure was fun being there n trying.
If folks don't mind me elaborating a bit..I was doing some moose calls, cow in heat and young bull. The big white thought he would sneak in on the action. The other younger one was on point watching the world go by. Sun just rising lots of dew rising on a frosty morning. Just enough frost to make noise but wet. Slooow. Trying to get in stand but checking out the neighborhood on my way. I saw it. Watched a bit. Couldn't get clear shot so he was relaxed. I chilled n kinda moved when I could. Got clear. I could read him. Pulled up slow but we both knew we were there. Tail flipped n I missed. Wolf exit stage left.
I may have missed the shot no excuses but had a great time.
Anyhows the rest of year I'm blessed to just go n watch what happens at moms pond. Usually some swans, they have a nest on a little island trying to avoid the wolves. Lynx family comes out n gets a drink n poo. Moose moving slowly.
The wildlife part is fantastic. But just going out for a walkabout any time of the year. Sometimes on a snogo. Looking for moose antlers in the spring. Migrating birds overhead. Fresh smell of the forest waking up. Feels good to me. Foraging is fun. Just looking at the trees.
More fun when my beautiful wife is with me. Obviously. But having a cup of fresh brew perked on the stove. Sitting on the front porch. Was out there for an Easter Sunday. Having morning coffee n target practice with the pistols.
Hope folks don't take this as bragging. We we blessed to have this opportunity. With thousands of hours freighting supplies over years. But I was outside. Beautiful wife says its something I had to do. And she always supports me. Don't have much $. Traded guns for logs n such. Just never gave up I guess.
Sure glad cuss this ol body has has a ball getting here. Now it's time to relax. Drink a whiskey. Do moose calls from the front deck n bring moose in.
Got to listen to the wolves take down a moose one night a hundred yards in front of the cabin. Lynx fight, ohhh boy. Or watch a hawk or perrigrin on the hunt. Cruising through the forest silent. A perrigrin thought I was a stump. Inch away from landing on my head.
Canoe ride down to the beaver dam. Wolves usually have them cleared out but they are beaver and don't stop. Take a nap in the sunshine while laying in my boxers on top of the beaver house. Son was watching for moose.
Yeah pretty blessed but it didn't just happen. And the years spent hauling freight taught me a lot. Cruising along twenty below by yourself. Couple freight sleds in tow. The northern lights dancing above. The mountains. Stop in the middle of the tundra in a clear area. Turn off the sled. Pull my helmet off and the cold air feels great. Sit back on my emergency pack n take a shot of whiskey. Watch the sky dance.
I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to do this. And now can spend time with my family n friends. I just wish more folks could have the opportunity

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
Let’s see some pics. And progression from year to years! Sounds like an awesome experience..

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks folks. This little 16x24 cabin has been a project that once we started we kinda couldn't stop. As I wrote. We had to buy building materials when we could. And freight when we could and it was possible.
No not the alone guy buy maybe an alone person would like to hang out n compare notes. I did learn a lot. Never quit.
Lots of work. Keeping snogos running, getting stuck a lot. But the breaking trail is the hardest. The ice, snow will bend it all over into the trail. Get the chainsaw out n start cleaning again. Snow always at least waist high, chest high. Miles of it.
The absolute worst thing is having to leave my beautiful wife out there by herself. Now we're talking alone except it's real. I would have to look her in the eye. Say baby, I'm going to have to leave you here while I go get parts or help. And then make sure it happened. Tough but no other choice. Hours later I would get back. Thank You Good Lord. I kinda suspect that most folks would say nope. We had no phones or GPS. And coverage is very iffy now. Tough chick, that must really love me.
It still can happen. We like to go out for a week or two. Last time we went out n had issues.
We were both towing freight sleds. Generally over 500 pounds. Got to the first wide water crossing. Half of it was open water. An ice ledge was on our side. Hoped that it would continue to freeze over and went for it. Skipping open water while freighting a thousand pounds. She only had 500 or so. We made the cabin. It was great as usual and we were going to head back home. Well the temperature dropped to minus 25s. My limit is minus 20. I can't take a chance with my beautiful wife. She was born with foot issues n had extensive surgeries. She can't walk very far.
Looks like we're staying, yee haa. A week or cold cold goes by. A low comes in and it's snowing hard. I'm not sure. First mistake.
We head out. Snow is over 2 foot. We make the trail or at least where a trail is supposed to be but we're at the end of the line. Nobody has been out. We were first in anyway and broke the trail. The snow is in whiteout conditions. Over 3 foot now. So deep that our snogos would kept loading up the spark plugs as the exhaust couldn't escape from under the sleds. 2 machines down. The trail was not even visible, and we had to depend on our senses.
I walked several miles towards the road n finally hit someone else's trail. Walking back, got a snogo running enough to make it as the trail was broken.
Got stuck bad, walked more. Eventually we made it out. I had to have a friend go back n retrieve one of the snogos I had to abandon. That one hurt a bit. I'm not as young as I was.
But eh, that's the bag. It's what it is. Lots of risk involved through the years. Lots of time just me n the world. But I wanted a place in ak that my family would always have. My beautiful wife says its something I needed to do. Get it out of my blood. And to be blessed to have a best friend n beautiful wife in one. That is willing to do this. Where at any moment. Bang something broke. And be willing to sit in nowhere bush Alaska by herself. No phones, nobody knows where she is. And everything that Mother Nature has to dish up. Bears moose wolves. Misqtoes Misqtoes Misqtoes.
In the non frozen months we can fly out. Land on an uninhabited lake . Hike a couple miles n we're home sweet cabin life. She wants to move there. So that's the next job. Hey we're close to indoor running water at the kitchen sink. Can take a nice hot shower n poo inside. Planning a chair lift so beautiful wife doesn't have to use the stairs to get upstairs. I'll use an atv winch.
Need to build the wheeler shed. I have a bunch of plywood n lumber there. Woodshed caved in, 10' of snow. Just getting ready to build a walk in cooler for game. We'll be able to process n freeze a moose there. Can up a bunch of meat. Never know if a plane can get in. We can find phone coverage if you walk around n have tinfoil hat. Or do a text n set the phone on window sill. A satellite may pass over n send it. Just right for me.
I still go ol school. Prefer no phones. Usually don't carry one hunting or on a walkabout. Beautiful wife wants me to carry a 45 but I usually have my 22 bush gun in my ditty bag. I don't like the weight. And it becomes a distraction. In my mind distraction is bad. Get hurt then. I'm usually lost anyways.
Eh , we had a dream n went for it. Now I get to live in that dream, sooooo blessed

Attachments

• 09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg
    09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 174
  • AAB35075-5643-4767-8299-78D089BD06AA.jpeg
    AAB35075-5643-4767-8299-78D089BD06AA.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 9FC3BB07-74EE-4510-A880-FE4681E72857.jpeg
    9FC3BB07-74EE-4510-A880-FE4681E72857.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 168
  • A5E47929-0FF4-4061-8F8D-022341F38EAF.jpeg
    A5E47929-0FF4-4061-8F8D-022341F38EAF.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 169
  • C121C231-EFF1-4750-8DF7-7F13735A6B97.jpeg
    C121C231-EFF1-4750-8DF7-7F13735A6B97.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 27B9E48C-44DE-41BB-93F7-EE9B9ABE820A.jpeg
    27B9E48C-44DE-41BB-93F7-EE9B9ABE820A.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 20210317_114422.jpg
    20210317_114422.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 20210522_081443.jpg
    20210522_081443.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 20210411_111329.jpg
    20210411_111329.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 170
OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in my 60s. Some times seems like 90s. Most times brain thinks I'm in my 20s

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in my 60s. Some times seems like 90s. Most times brain thinks I'm in my 20s
That explains the temperature concerns. I’m still fine with riding at -40’s but that would all change if I had someone else with mobility issues along too.

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
That explains the temperature concerns. I’m still fine with riding at -40’s but that would all change if I had someone else with mobility issues along too.
Hand warmers. It's more my eyes thing

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
Hand warmers. It's more my eyes thing
Funny thing about heated handlebars is how hot they are at 10 degrees, but don't seem to do much at all, especially at -40/-50 when you really want them to work. I've always got hand covers rolled up on my handlebar ends that I can unroll when it gets cold.

Those newer closed-face helmets with breathing snorkels are supposed to be great for getting the wind completely off your face too. I'm still pretty much an open face with flip-down fan myself, but have always considered giving one of them a try.

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Snogos break. And at extreme cold they break more. I guess I've had to walk out enough. Get parts n walk back or hopefully some help. And be able to fix or tow out. And deep sugar snow and that's a recipe for trouble.
I have the snorkel helmet, heated shield helmet. I still use my 35 year old open face or a muton hat n goggles most. Best thing is a spotlight that hooks on top of helmet with velcro so I can find the trail.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
Luckily for me the coldest I ever had an issue was at -35 below, but that was with a moose. Every break down I ever had was fortunately at warmer (-30 to 20 degrees or so) with the worst being a broken jack shaft up in the White Mountains.

One of my friends who didn't do much riding at all used to warn that we were only dressed for riding and not for walking! Definitely need less clothes for walking than riding at 50-90 mph along the rivers!

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
Omg! This is the coolest thing I have ever heard. I always wanted to try it but could never gather up the courage but seeing you and hearing about your amazing experience the temptation started again.

wyodan

WKR
Thanks folks. This little 16x24 cabin has been a project that once we started we kinda couldn't stop. As I wrote. We had to buy building materials when we could. And freight when we could and it was possible.
No not the alone guy buy maybe an alone person would like to hang out n compare notes. I did learn a lot. Never quit.
Lots of work. Keeping snogos running, getting stuck a lot. But the breaking trail is the hardest. The ice, snow will bend it all over into the trail. Get the chainsaw out n start cleaning again. Snow always at least waist high, chest high. Miles of it.
The absolute worst thing is having to leave my beautiful wife out there by herself. Now we're talking alone except it's real. I would have to look her in the eye. Say baby, I'm going to have to leave you here while I go get parts or help. And then make sure it happened. Tough but no other choice. Hours later I would get back. Thank You Good Lord. I kinda suspect that most folks would say nope. We had no phones or GPS. And coverage is very iffy now. Tough chick, that must really love me.
It still can happen. We like to go out for a week or two. Last time we went out n had issues.
We were both towing freight sleds. Generally over 500 pounds. Got to the first wide water crossing. Half of it was open water. An ice ledge was on our side. Hoped that it would continue to freeze over and went for it. Skipping open water while freighting a thousand pounds. She only had 500 or so. We made the cabin. It was great as usual and we were going to head back home. Well the temperature dropped to minus 25s. My limit is minus 20. I can't take a chance with my beautiful wife. She was born with foot issues n had extensive surgeries. She can't walk very far.
Looks like we're staying, yee haa. A week or cold cold goes by. A low comes in and it's snowing hard. I'm not sure. First mistake.
We head out. Snow is over 2 foot. We make the trail or at least where a trail is supposed to be but we're at the end of the line. Nobody has been out. We were first in anyway and broke the trail. The snow is in whiteout conditions. Over 3 foot now. So deep that our snogos would kept loading up the spark plugs as the exhaust couldn't escape from under the sleds. 2 machines down. The trail was not even visible, and we had to depend on our senses.
I walked several miles towards the road n finally hit someone else's trail. Walking back, got a snogo running enough to make it as the trail was broken.
Got stuck bad, walked more. Eventually we made it out. I had to have a friend go back n retrieve one of the snogos I had to abandon. That one hurt a bit. I'm not as young as I was.
But eh, that's the bag. It's what it is. Lots of risk involved through the years. Lots of time just me n the world. But I wanted a place in ak that my family would always have. My beautiful wife says its something I needed to do. Get it out of my blood. And to be blessed to have a best friend n beautiful wife in one. That is willing to do this. Where at any moment. Bang something broke. And be willing to sit in nowhere bush Alaska by herself. No phones, nobody knows where she is. And everything that Mother Nature has to dish up. Bears moose wolves. Misqtoes Misqtoes Misqtoes.
In the non frozen months we can fly out. Land on an uninhabited lake . Hike a couple miles n we're home sweet cabin life. She wants to move there. So that's the next job. Hey we're close to indoor running water at the kitchen sink. Can take a nice hot shower n poo inside. Planning a chair lift so beautiful wife doesn't have to use the stairs to get upstairs. I'll use an atv winch.
Need to build the wheeler shed. I have a bunch of plywood n lumber there. Woodshed caved in, 10' of snow. Just getting ready to build a walk in cooler for game. We'll be able to process n freeze a moose there. Can up a bunch of meat. Never know if a plane can get in. We can find phone coverage if you walk around n have tinfoil hat. Or do a text n set the phone on window sill. A satellite may pass over n send it. Just right for me.
I still go ol school. Prefer no phones. Usually don't carry one hunting or on a walkabout. Beautiful wife wants me to carry a 45 but I usually have my 22 bush gun in my ditty bag. I don't like the weight. And it becomes a distraction. In my mind distraction is bad. Get hurt then. I'm usually lost anyways.
Eh , we had a dream n went for it. Now I get to live in that dream, sooooo blessed
Pretty sweet! Looks enjoyable out there.