Hauling meat with a bike: Trailer vs Racks & Panniers

I have a Trek Roscoe 29” that I want to use to haul deer up to maybe 5-6 miles on single track trails, old logging roads and gated admin roads. I am considering Old Man Mountain Divide racks on the front and rear or a BOB Ibex trailer. Typically, I bring my pack (Mystery Ranch Pop up) with a platform and climbing ropes/gear to hunt elevated out of a saddle.

Is it reasonable to get a deer (50-75lbs in game bags) out using racks with something like a pannier to hold the bags? Cost-wise it doesn’t appear to save much but I wouldn’t have to load a trailer in and out of my truck bed. However, finding panniers that I can easily drop a full game bag into has been challenging.

Most hunts are unsuccessful, and the trailer is overkill to haul my gear in and out. I would guess that pulling a loaded trailer will balance better and be easier to deal with getting on/off when pushing the bike is required, but it would be easier to stash my bike somewhere off the trail without a trailer to contend with.

Anyone with experience have recommendations for the best setup?

*zap*

WKR
I used wire panniers and you can always walk the bike if need be...then I also used a baby jogging stroller which I towed backwards. Welded an eye on the back of the pannier and drilled an eye bolt in the handle of the stroller. That type of stroller also goes thru light brush pretty well if you have to push it. I will probably use the stroller to get some whitetail meat out this season.

LargeAvos

FNG
I got a cheap trailer on Craigslist but found it to be a pain to bike with. I go about 8-10 miles in on a fire road by bike over 2 locked gates (bike and foot access only) and I just found myself leaning towards the speed/ease of no trailer. Also have to mention after the first trip with my trailer I was surprised by the noise from the trailer which ultimately lead me to abandon that idea.

I got the heaviest back rack I could find for my bike accompanied by a large Amazon pannier bag and then a lighter front rack that gives me the flexibility to attach awkward loads such as deer head, sleep system, large dry bags, etc with paracord/ volle straps.

My trips out are all uphill and I try to get some weight on top of the front wheel to prevent too much tipping backwards. I also highly recommend putting as much weight on your bike as possible to save you ass on any trip longer than a day trip, this also allows you to get more power to the pedals.

This is the pannier bag I got, it’s cheap and actually very well built, I can’t recommend it enough.

This is the front rack I bought, light duty but like I said it gets the job done to put some weight on top of the front wheel.

rclouse79

WKR
I made an ebike out of a trek fat tire bike and added a rear rack rated for over 100 lbs with Ortlieb panniers. I can fit a ton of stuff in there and am sure the rear rack would stand up to a rear quarter or two. The rack is an axiom fatliner.
I also bought one of the Quietkat two wheeled hunting trailers and sold it after one trip. It was on a rough dirt road, but some full sized trucks were able to drive it. I had high hopes for the trailer, but it was super tippy. I bet a dumped it over a dozen times. No fun whatsoever.

IMG_2045.jpegIMG_2046.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
T
I used wire panniers and you can always walk the bike if need be...then I also used a baby jogging stroller which I towed backwards. Welded an eye on the back of the pannier and drilled an eye bolt in the handle of the stroller. That type of stroller also goes thru light brush pretty well if you have to push it. I will probably use the stroller to get some whitetail meat out this season.

What kind of speeds are you reaching pulling the baby stroller while loaded? How well does it handle steep declines with your attachment method? Have you used it on any rocky/bumpy roads/trails?

OP
T
I got a cheap trailer on Craigslist but found it to be a pain to bike with. I go about 8-10 miles in on a fire road by bike over 2 locked gates (bike and foot access only) and I just found myself leaning towards the speed/ease of no trailer. Also have to mention after the first trip with my trailer I was surprised by the noise from the trailer which ultimately lead me to abandon that idea.

I got the heaviest back rack I could find for my bike accompanied by a large Amazon pannier bag and then a lighter front rack that gives me the flexibility to attach awkward loads such as deer head, sleep system, large dry bags, etc with paracord/ volle straps.

My trips out are all uphill and I try to get some weight on top of the front wheel to prevent too much tipping backwards. I also highly recommend putting as much weight on your bike as possible to save you ass on any trip longer than a day trip, this also allows you to get more power to the pedals.

This is the pannier bag I got, it’s cheap and actually very well built, I can’t recommend it enough.

This is the front rack I bought, light duty but like I said it gets the job done to put some weight on top of the front wheel.

Did you haul any animals with the trailer before deciding to use racks/panniers?

When you have the panniers loaded, how is getting on/off the bike? Prone to tipping over? Should I be looking for a sturdy kick stand to add along with racks/panniers if I choose to go that route?

OP
T
I made an ebike out of a trek fat tire bike and added a rear rack rated for over 100 lbs with Ortlieb panniers. I can fit a ton of stuff in there and am sure the rear rack would stand up to a rear quarter or two. The rack is an axiom fatliner.
I also bought one of the Quietkat two wheeled hunting trailers and sold it after one trip. It was on a rough dirt road, but some full sized trucks were able to drive it. I had high hopes for the trailer, but it was super tippy. I bet a dumped it over a dozen times. No fun whatsoever.

View attachment 772187View attachment 772188

I never considered two wheel trailers for exactly that reason, I feel they will easily tip over on the uneven roads and trails I will be using. A single wheel trailer may track better and shouldn't be as prone to tipping over but having never used one I'm not sure how much the attachment arm will twist and throw off the balance of the bike.

Have you used the panniers to haul some weight prior to adding the electric motor? I'm wondering what kind of change in pedal effort there is pulling a trailer vs loading the bike.

*zap*

WKR
What kind of speeds are you reaching pulling the baby stroller while loaded? How well does it handle steep declines with your attachment method? Have you used it on any rocky/bumpy roads/trails?
It never occurred to me to get a speedometer. No steep decline while riding, same as any mtn bike on rough terrain. Towed backwards the stroller is no issue at all and just tracks with you.....if it was steep I would walk the bike...I rode mostly on flat ground or frozen marsh..

LargeAvos

FNG
Did you haul any animals with the trailer before deciding to use racks/panniers?

When you have the panniers loaded, how is getting on/off the bike? Prone to tipping over? Should I be looking for a sturdy kick stand to add along with racks/panniers if I choose to go that route?
Never ended up using the trailer with an animal in it. But I’ve got a picture of the bike loaded up with camp and a deer.
The bike is easy to get on and off of. The stand is nothing too crazy but it will hold the entire load as long as it’s all balanced.
It’s a bit of grainy photo because it was taken in the dark but I chose to use my panniers to hold camp/hunt supplies and ties down game bags full of meat on top of the rear bags as well as on top of the front rack. My pack was almost empty which gives you a lot more control over the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_6858.jpeg
    IMG_6858.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 10

twall13

WKR
I'll share my experiences, but they are somewhat limited so take them for what they are worth. I've done two elk hunts with a bike trailer. It was a specific use case where the area we wanted to hunt was 6 miles behind a gate where it was foot, hoof, or non motorized bike traffic only. The first 4 miles was 2 track uphill, gaining about 1200'. After that it leveled out into more of a meadow. We hooked a bike up to an old child carrier trailer not really built for off road use. I tore it down to the frame and screwed on a sheet of plywood for a base and then just strapped gear to it. Going uphill sucked and was much slower than just hiking with a pack on. Any little brush made the trailer tippy and was tough to pull through. I think I tipped the trailer 3 times on the way up. That said, we hauled two 6 point elk out on that trailer and it cut our pack trips at least in half probably more like 2/3rds. On the last trip I had my camp and 2 hind quarters and 1 front quarter, plus a scrap meat bag loaded on the trailer. That proved to be too much for that trailer and it broke about 1.5 miles from the truck so we had to shuttle the meat and gear from there. It was still worth it in this case for me knowing the packout was fairly long and mostly downhill.

The next year I had a tag in that same unit and upgraded to a Bakcou bike trailer. The trailer was much more sturdy and the larger tires rolled a little better as well. That said, it was a little taller and tipped even easier than the jimmy rigged one I'd used the year before. I think I tipped it 7 or 8 times that trip. Scuffed up my rifle and scope pretty good on one rollover. Anyway, aside from that, it worked similar to the year before and made hauling out another 6 point much easier on the downhill. That said, downhill is a very slow going process and you are on the brakes the whole time. Make sure you have good brakes on whatever bike you have cause the extra weight works the brakes a lot more than normal.

Looking back, I would use a trailer again, but only in certain terrain where I know it's a fit. A decent road that's not too bumpy, steep or overgrown and it would work well. Anything more than that and it's not likely worth it.

My next bit of experience comes on a couple of hunts where we used Bakcou ebikes with panniers on motorcycle trails in 2 different areas. These trails were much more rugged and technical and there is no way a trailer would have made it. In many ways, this still sucked as the heavy bikes with heavy bags can be tough to handle. We ended up breaking a couple of the panniers (Bakcou garbage with plastic clips, don't buy them). We also ran into issues on a steep hillside where the pedals were striking the hillside and it got pretty sketchy. I don't personally plan on taking bikes into either of those areas again. I would take a bike with panniers or trailer back to the elk spot.

Comparing both situations, I'd say good panniers like the Ortlieb ones mentioned above are going to be a more versatile setup overall. They do still have their limitations and you aren't likely going to haul quite as much on them as a trailer, but overall the experience on the trail will be better. Panniers on the 2 track I mentioned above would have been much easier to handle but might have added a trip due to the more limited capacity. On a firebreak road you could likely get away with either but the panniers will be more stable with a little less carrying capacity. All in all I think it's a situation specific call. Both have places they would work well for but neither is going to get you into or out of some of the places you can go on foot or horse. In either case, don't load up the pack on your back too much. It's miserable riding a bike with a heavy pack...20211010_190051.jpgIMG_3631.jpg

wapitibob

WKR
I never considered two wheel trailers for exactly that reason, I feel they will easily tip over on the uneven roads and trails I will be using. A single wheel trailer may track better and shouldn't be as prone to tipping over but having never used one I'm not sure how much the attachment arm will twist and throw off the balance of the bike.

Have you used the panniers to haul some weight prior to adding the electric motor? I'm wondering what kind of change in pedal effort there is pulling a trailer vs loading the bike.

Two wheel trailers won't fall over, a single wheel trailer will be on its side more than upright if you have to push the bike.
All of them bounce and are noisy.

1.jpg

ni7ne

FNG
I've done multi-day desert tours on a stout touring bike where rear rack water weight alone was 60 pounds. It tests the limit of rack, frame, and rider ability. It wildly changes the ride characteristics. You really need to experience riding with it to know.

Consider a lightpole that you'd never be able to push over, but by shaking at a harmonic, you can get it wobbling. It's the same idea -- bike frame + rack can get full cargo weight oscillating even going in a straight line.

For rear racks, I have only used steel -- Surly brand and Tubus brand. The Tubus have a less-squared geometry that wobbles less.

rclouse79

WKR

I added the panniers after the motor. Personally would stick to areas that were mostly downhill back to the rig if relying on leg power. I am not that tough.