Hauling meat with a bike: Trailer vs Racks & Panniers

I have a Trek Roscoe 29” that I want to use to haul deer up to maybe 5-6 miles on single track trails, old logging roads and gated admin roads. I am considering Old Man Mountain Divide racks on the front and rear or a BOB Ibex trailer. Typically, I bring my pack (Mystery Ranch Pop up) with a platform and climbing ropes/gear to hunt elevated out of a saddle.

Is it reasonable to get a deer (50-75lbs in game bags) out using racks with something like a pannier to hold the bags? Cost-wise it doesn’t appear to save much but I wouldn’t have to load a trailer in and out of my truck bed. However, finding panniers that I can easily drop a full game bag into has been challenging.

Most hunts are unsuccessful, and the trailer is overkill to haul my gear in and out. I would guess that pulling a loaded trailer will balance better and be easier to deal with getting on/off when pushing the bike is required, but it would be easier to stash my bike somewhere off the trail without a trailer to contend with.

Anyone with experience have recommendations for the best setup?

*zap*

WKR
I used wire panniers and you can always walk the bike if need be...then I also used a baby jogging stroller which I towed backwards. Welded an eye on the back of the pannier and drilled an eye bolt in the handle of the stroller. That type of stroller also goes thru light brush pretty well if you have to push it. I will probably use the stroller to get some whitetail meat out this season.

LargeAvos

FNG
I got a cheap trailer on Craigslist but found it to be a pain to bike with. I go about 8-10 miles in on a fire road by bike over 2 locked gates (bike and foot access only) and I just found myself leaning towards the speed/ease of no trailer. Also have to mention after the first trip with my trailer I was surprised by the noise from the trailer which ultimately lead me to abandon that idea.

I got the heaviest back rack I could find for my bike accompanied by a large Amazon pannier bag and then a lighter front rack that gives me the flexibility to attach awkward loads such as deer head, sleep system, large dry bags, etc with paracord/ volle straps.

My trips out are all uphill and I try to get some weight on top of the front wheel to prevent too much tipping backwards. I also highly recommend putting as much weight on your bike as possible to save you ass on any trip longer than a day trip, this also allows you to get more power to the pedals.

This is the pannier bag I got, it’s cheap and actually very well built, I can’t recommend it enough.

This is the front rack I bought, light duty but like I said it gets the job done to put some weight on top of the front wheel.

rclouse79

WKR
I made an ebike out of a trek fat tire bike and added a rear rack rated for over 100 lbs with Ortlieb panniers. I can fit a ton of stuff in there and am sure the rear rack would stand up to a rear quarter or two. The rack is an axiom fatliner.
I also bought one of the Quietkat two wheeled hunting trailers and sold it after one trip. It was on a rough dirt road, but some full sized trucks were able to drive it. I had high hopes for the trailer, but it was super tippy. I bet a dumped it over a dozen times. No fun whatsoever.

IMG_2045.jpegIMG_2046.jpeg

Last edited: