Hamstring Pain

luvsdux

FNG
I've had hamstring pain for 10 months. Sometimes the pain is acute and sometimes it is general. There are a few things that definitely make it worse: sitting for long periods of time (like driving or flying). Biking and swimming rarely make it worse while running - especially uphill - makes it worse. I trained for a half Iron Man starting last November and felt the hamstring pain in late-December, early-January. Since then, I've taken a few breaks from exercise but almost immediately the pain returns. In addition to resting, I've done physical therapy. Anyone experience anything like this?

mvv5137

FNG
I dealt with a grade three hamstring tear a couple year's ago. A year and a half of physical therapy and it's still sore after a fast run. Hamstrings are a bitch, especially if you're over 35 or 40. Good luck with your recovery. It will heal eventually, just keep doing the right thing.

OP
L

luvsdux

FNG
Thanks MVV. I am quite a bit older than 40 so patience is key and I appreciate the reminder.

P Carter

WKR
Where is the pain? In the belly of the hamstring, or where it attaches near the glutes? If the latter, I believe there is a concept along the lines of hamstring insertional tendonosis. I believe that can flow from a long-term injury to the hamstring, such that the underlying tendons become dysfunctional.

You have to be careful, because if something is injured for that long you can develop weaknesses due to compensation for the injury, that will in turn cause other injuries. The stabilizer muscles can actually atrophy, and the "nerve pathways" (obviously not the right phrase) will actually degrade, making long-term recovery harder even once the acute injury is solved.

If it's in the belly of the muscle, I believe it's more likely to be a tear. I still have a golf-ball size lump in my hamstring that is a calcified remnant of a partial muscle tear I had in high school.

Please don't rely on my statements--I'm sure it's also possible to have a muscle tear near the insertional point. Just things I have experienced, or have seen others experience.

I'd recommend going to a good physical therapist ASAP and diligently completing the torture-like exercise they will inevitably prescribe...

1brad

FNG
You need a combination of chiropractic and massaging yourself with a foam roller.

OP
L

luvsdux

FNG
I do have some lower back history here that I've dealt with for a long time so the chiropractic might help. Appreciate the suggestion.

1brad

FNG
I do have some lower back history here that I've dealt with for a long time so the chiropractic might help. Appreciate the suggestion.
You’ll have to try a few chiropractors to find a good one that works for you. Once you find a good one, get one adjustment a week or one every other week. And then massage yourself (and stretch after massaging) at least 3 times a week.
Get a theracane for massaging your back and a lacrosse ball for massaging you butt/glutes. Foam roller for thighs.

You can switch off massage areas. Do back one day, thighs the next, glutes next, calves next. Then repeat. So you aren’t going to hard on any one area.

Use YouTube to Learn stretched for each area you’re massaging.

Don’t give up easily on finding a good chiropractor. It may be hard and sort of a guessing game but it’s the key to healing a nagging musculoskeletal injury.