Gym Alternatives

Poser

WKR
Obviously, I enjoy arguing. I would like to see a gym rat that can overhead press double his body weight do a one handed handstand pushup! And I'm confident that a scary high percentage of the people who overhead press more than their body weight will also have back problems. Maybe not everyone, but a lot.
I believe you are correct by stating that 100# single arm dumbell press is not equal to 200# two handed dumbell press. However, in my experience, calisthenics is the opposite. For example, a one handed pushup is more than twice the stress of two hands. The shoulder and the full torso have to compensate for the off-balance load. The arm would have about exactly double the stress as compared to two handed pushups. As far as the jump from two handed to one handed pushups, I learned that by myself in my bedroom, but the CONVICT CONDITIONING does actually explain how to do it by limiting the amount of pushing that one hand is doing until you can eventually do it with only one hand. Every step in the book starts out excessively easy. Any couch potato could do it. The first pushup exercise is leaning against a wall and doing a pushup. If anybody cant do that, I feel sorry for them.

Do you have one particular source for weight lifting that you would recommend? I'm not planning on buying another ounce of iron but maybe I would be able to learn something.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can only think of one person I know who could do (or that I have seen donors than the novelty of doing a single push-up) one arm push ups. She was a former D1 gymnast and could even do one arm handstand Holds. I’ve never messed with one arm push ups, but I’d imagine it’s as much as skill as it is strength, much like being able to do handstand walks: there is a certain amount of strength you need then you need to practice the skill of the movement. Many of the Crossfitters here can probably attest to be strong enough to do handstand walks but have to Practice them extensively in order to be able to do them at will.

Anyway, for a basic understanding of Barbell training, I recommend Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training. 129 pages dedicated just to the physics and leverages of squat mechanics.

Thank you for the link.

You can add another person to your list. Actually about 2 years ago I set a personal record with a set of 10 with each arm but I felt like I had reached a goal and so I quite. I struggle with 1 now!(too much candy, cookies and chocolate).
This debate is tempting me to start again!
And, yes it does have to do with knowing how. Anybody that can do 50-60 pushups in a single set is probably strong enough to do one with one hand and anybody that considers himself halfways fit should be able to do a minimum of at least 30-40 regular pushups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jroot327

FNG
If you’ll use it, the home gym is a great idea. Then lots of squats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Probably good to do a mix at home or the gym. Seems to me that people tend to do just type of excercise. Balance is difficult to manage but I believe the results are worth it.