Gritty Podcast Kifaru vs Stone Glacier

I’m just glad that everyone is done with him hopefully. Dude annoyed me from day one. Seems like a prime example of chasing money and playing politics to get where he was. Still blows my mind that he ever got the publicity he did. He can talk crap all day but that’s the point......it’s crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned a lot from the early podcasts. He was actually a pretty good interviewer who clearly had some understanding like most of us but not an expert who brought in experts like Aron. Unfortunately he suddenly felt he was an expert and became a know it all and it turned me off then he left his lane trying to be a Joe Rogan type and it just completely turned me off.

fatlander

WKR
One of the most badass feats ever accomplished

We hiked for 10.5 days straight, for 8 days. Hell of a hunt. Definitely one the top 5 hardest I’ve done, but anyone can do it with the gritty mindset and a SG pack.
4ff651907a0e886bae7bc42d05c7b228.jpg

TheTone

WKR
We've had influencers for a long time. They just wrote magazine articles instead of posted on Instagram. Think about how much free stuff every outdoor life, field and stream, any hunting magazine editor got. I remember reading articles all the time where the guy name dropped "ceo's of hunting companies" the same way some podcast guys do. Just different mediums.

yeah I can agree with that on some level. That said I think a lot of the old print “influencers” had a bunch more experience and credibility that what we see now

OP
I agree that people have influence, I just wish the barrier was a bit higher but unfortunately, that is the world we live in. Again, just to be clear, Brian has every opportunity to do his thing, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to hold him accountable. My issue with him is that he takes advantage of newer hunters who don't know any better. Pushing product to people who are looking for legitimate advice is just wrong. Its taking advantage of someone plain and simple. Right up there with sleezy used car salesmen. More of a symptom I guess of our society unable to filter the legitimate from the bs. My issue with Gritty is that he knows better, and still tries to take advantage of those who dont.

I dont think I have any more to say on this topic 🥴

street

WKR
I agree that people have influence, I just wish the barrier was a bit higher but unfortunately, that is the world we live in. Again, just to be clear, Brian has every opportunity to do his thing, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to hold him accountable. My issue with him is that he takes advantage of newer hunters who don't know any better. Pushing product to people who are looking for legitimate advice is just wrong. Its taking advantage of someone plain and simple. Right up there with sleezy used car salesmen. More of a symptom I guess of our society unable to filter the legitimate from the bs. My issue with Gritty is that he knows better, and still tries to take advantage of those who dont.

You need a brand new bow every year. If you dont get one every year you aren't a real hunter. Make sure you show it off at all the bow shoots.

rclouse79

WKR
I am ashamed to admit I watched the showdown podcast last night. I blame it on having too much time on my hands with this darn lock down. I believe the kids would say Brian's attempt to save face was an EPIC FAIL. Hopefully he has a backup career lined up.

that could also be said about 80% of things you see on social media, that's the nature of it, not just Gritty.

I will say, that is what I like about Aron, he is rare in that regard, but someone who doesn't know what's what will not know any different, and the vast majority of internet content is not in their best interest.... it is what it is.

speaking of accountability, at some point those new guys have to figure things out themselves.... if they want to try to utilize internet information over experience, being led astray will happen frequently.…

I see where you are coming from and agree, but if that's the reason for disliking Brian, then you must dislike a whole bunch of people on this site and social media. before social media, you either were brought up around it or had to figure it out on your own.... if you want to try to take shortcuts, you will be fed as much bad info as good

chasewild

WKR
I haven't watched the reconciliation podcast -- but what strikes me about this thread and the two characters is the incredible contrast between Aron and Brian's "come up."

For me, it always comes back down to who's path was the labored and intentional endeavor and who put in more work. Those things make the end identity of the person more authentic, more "real". So, if you identified the goal early, failed miserably, learned everything the hard way, zigged and zagged between different ways to the same goal, and ultimately attained the goal, to me, you're the one I'm going to hire, buy from, vote for, etc.

I'm not saying in 20 years Brian won't be an industry veteran, if he's still relevant, but for now, the ranks have been decided by the tasks completed to get there. If we're comparing Brian's podcast with Arron's presence in the game for the last 20 or so years, then the conversation stops before it ever started.

mwebs

WKR
Can't believe I bought an EXO after doing my own research, hiking with SG, Kifaru, EXO and MR packs loaded and doing my best to ignore obviously biased outdoor personalities. If you can't comprehend that every single one of these dudes is either paid or gets free product that's on you. And a lot of them are worse hunters/ people than your average joe on this forum. I might buy a Kifaru now just so I can pick a side, although I liked the SG a lot more, it seems like the Kifaru club is tougher and would win in a fight.

Can't believe I even read some of this crap, its snowing still and cold where I am at in Idaho, can't hike, sick of skiing, fishing is miserable, already made muley jerky with leftover scraps from last year, working from home... Boredom and internet forums is interesting.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think most people who have an issue with Brian is over the fact that he comes across as a know it all. I remember listening to the last season of gritty when Aron was on and they kept referring to animals Brian had either shot or shot at and not recovered. I never heard how many there were but I couldn’t keep track all of the references to different animals. I’d love to hear that number. The reality is he is probably a good dude but he’s portraying something he’s not.

OldGrayJB

WKR
It's still a good podcast.....If you're into dietary supplement info, testosterone research, hormone replacement therapy, and CrossFit. ;)

OP
that could also be said about 80% of things you see on social media, that's the nature of it, not just Gritty.

I will say, that is what I like about Aron, he is rare in that regard, but someone who doesn't know what's what will not know any different, and the vast majority of internet content is not in their best interest.... it is what it is.

speaking of accountability, at some point those new guys have to figure things out themselves.... if they want to try to utilize internet information over experience, being led astray will happen frequently.…

I see where you are coming from and agree, but if that's the reason for disliking Brian, then you must dislike a whole bunch of people on this site and social media. before social media, you either were brought up around it or had to figure it out on your own.... if you want to try to take shortcuts, you will be fed as much bad info as good

You couldn’t have said it better. I completely agree. It’s why that whole mess drives me nuts and I ignore it as much as possible. It’s why I tend to stick to a couple of podcasts and that’s it. No tv, no social media etc. And you’re super correct that this extends to the majority of people on social media. They are just as accountable for a lot of the nonsense. This particular instance just involved gritty because it was a blatant attempt to push product.

You couldn’t have said it better. I completely agree. It’s why that whole mess drives me nuts and I ignore it as much as possible. It’s why I tend to stick to a couple of podcasts and that’s it. No tv, no social media etc. And you’re super correct that this extends to the majority of people on social media. They are just as accountable for a lot of the nonsense. This particular instance just involved gritty because it was a blatant attempt to push product.
one thing that gets me irritated on forums (no other social media for me) is how much really bad info is shared, and in a very matter of fact way like that's how it is.... mostly regurgitated info they heard somewhere, and it's not from person experience.... it annoys me people just can't stay in their lane and have to offer strong opinions on things they don't know about, which muddies the water for people actually seeking advice.

this site seems better than most in that regard, while Archerytalk seems like the worst in that regard.... people just want to give the impression they know something, and someone who doesn't know better may believe them.

back to that accountability thing, that is the main problem with forums/social media.... people can hide behind a façade and talk all of the crap and misinformation they want without any possible consequence. I try to stick to what I would tell someone face to face, and if I have an opinion on something without a lot of experience in that regard, I will disclaim that so people know that (like Gritty did in his early days, probably because Aron held him accountable, he was there to make sure things were understood)

I do figure, if someone wants to go all in and believe anything he hears in the Gritty content, that's their problem, and they will eventually sort things out with experience.

I will say, Brian does seem to hunt a lot, and hunt hard, and has been killing some critters, and I believe he is tough.... there is a level of respect there, even though he seems to go off the rails on a regular basis these days..... it's hard for me to listen to anyone who is a big advertisement, but I don't hate the guy, but i'm also not listening to all of his podcasts.

I will probably listen to some of his stuff in the future still, but i'll stick to the hunts rather than the advice and shilling type podcasts. I like listening to hunting stories.

OP
one thing that gets me irritated on forums (no other social media for me) is how much really bad info is shared, and in a very matter of fact way like that's how it is.... mostly regurgitated info they heard somewhere, and it's not from person experience.... it annoys me people just can't stay in their lane and have to offer strong opinions on things they don't know about, which muddies the water for people actually seeking advice.

this site seems better than most in that regard, while Archerytalk seems like the worst in that regard.... people just want to give the impression they know something, and someone who doesn't know better may believe them.

back to that accountability thing, that is the main problem with forums/social media.... people can hide behind a façade and talk all of the crap and misinformation they want without any possible consequence. I try to stick to what I would tell someone face to face, and if I have an opinion on something without a lot of experience in that regard, I will disclaim that so people know that (like Gritty did in his early days, probably because Aron held him accountable, he was there to make sure things were understood)

I do figure, if someone wants to go all in and believe anything he hears in the Gritty content, that's their problem, and they will eventually sort things out with experience.

I will say, Brian does seem to hunt a lot, and hunt hard, and has been killing some critters, and I believe he is tough.... there is a level of respect there, even though he seems to go off the rails on a regular basis these days..... it's hard for me to listen to anyone who is a big advertisement, but I don't hate the guy, but i'm also not listening to all of his podcasts.

I will probably listen to some of his stuff in the future still, but i'll stick to the hunts rather than the advice and shilling type podcasts. I like listening to hunting stories.

Very well said on all accounts

CorbLand

WKR

While I agree with what you are saying, I am going to play devils advocate a little here. We like to put people on a pedestal and like to listen to "experts" on topics but that doesnt mean its not a biased opinion. Broz and Ryan know more about bullets, powder, caliber and long range shooting than most on this forum but they are also biased to things that they like. Not a bad thing but they arent the end all be all to guns and long range. Thats where other voices can come in and thats where it can get difficult to say stay in your lane. Where is that lane? How do you determine that someone actually knows what they are talking about over just regurgitating information? If Broz posts in one thread and someone asks the same information in another and I copy his answer over, is that a bad thing or should I just stay in my lane and let Broz answer? I had a guy once tell me that I am the "dumbest person on earth" when I told him that a particular shotgun doesnt have a rifled barrel because "all guns now have rifling." That guy thinks I should stay in my lane because he obviously knows way more than I do.

There is a forum ran by a guy here locally that actually has it set up where only select people can answer within each area. You have to provide justification that you have the certifications to answer honestly and correctly, which in theory is kind of nice but who he selects is biased. So you arent always getting the "correct" answer, even though that individual may have the "certifications" to say that you are.

My point is this. It gets hard to 1) determine what someones lane is 2) allow someone to determine what someone lane is for them.

Last edited: