Grille Guards?

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Recently bought a tundra and I'm debating a grille guard - living in WY, chances are one of these days I'll hit a critter. Do they protect your truck/are they worth it? What are the best brands to consider? Does a well made/heavy duty one make 1/2 ton truck ride lower on the front end? I actually prefer how the truck looks w/o the guard - so this is basically a protection decision for me. Thanks for your opinions.

Trr15

WKR
If you prefer the look of your truck without a grille guard, I'd just make sure I'm carrying comprehensive coverage on my auto policy and call it good. Odds are if you hit a critter here it will be at high speed and will do damage to your truck regardless.

I have the Rancher, by GoIndustries on my Dodge Ram. It is a very good grill guard. I have hit deer with it, and they bounce off. Aside from monetary damage, one consideration is that a grill guard may mean the difference between a driveable vehicle and a tow truck.

wyosteve

WKR
It's been my experience that in order to get a stout enough grille guard, you have to also get a heavy duty bumper with it.

I 2nd the bumper grill gsurd combo. I built mine for my truck it is bomper and grill guard. Good thing i have it my wife hit a deer going 65 and no damage to the truck or bumper. Regular grill guards do very little in the case of impact.

I prefer Ranch Hand, they are heavy duty but IMO you don't need the full bumper replacement.

It has saved a LOT of vehicles around here.

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience most of the "grill guards" won't really save your vehicle in a animal/vehicle collision. If you hit them centered they will usually save your front end but a strike outside the uprights will still do significant damage. The front end replacements that include a bumper are far more stout. They usually have some strap welded outside the uprights to help keep the "wings" from collapsing on a strike. But they are heavy and your truck will squat. Your ball joints, tie rod ends and 4wd hubs will also fail considerably faster.

Regular grill guards do very little in the case of impact.

Depends on the kind of grill guard. Mine has brackets that attach to the frame, not the tension brackets that attach to the bumper.

Last year on the way home from an elk hunting trip, I hit two black angus calves on the interstate at 75 mph. One was dead center and the other was right side bumper. The only engine damage to my truck was the radiator.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Take a look at the ARB bumpers. Built incredibly well and will protect your truck. I'm facing the same situation with my tundra and have done some research and like what I've learned about the ARB product.

KMT

WKR
If you prefer the look of your truck without a grille guard, I'd just make sure I'm carrying comprehensive coverage on my auto policy and call it good. Odds are if you hit a critter here it will be at high speed and will do damage to your truck regardless.

I agree.

dmjojump

FNG
I drive a Tundra and live in Wyoming also. I have looked into grille guards and bumper combos also, just haven't seen one that I think looks good. I am not trying to say anything bad about ranch hand bumpers, I think they are good products, but I have been told by a friend that they busted out the front portion of his frame. This truck was used down dirt roads a lot and I didn't put on the bumper. When he had it looked at, he was told this wasn't the first time they had seen it. I also don't know if ranch hand bumpers are heavier then others? But I agree with Trr15.

when i bought my 08 f250 with 6.4 l diesel and first looked under the hood and counted five radiators up front, the next stop was the trick out shop and had a hd ss grille guard installed. has worked too, have never hit a thing with it.......