Grasshoppers 🦗!

20240630_071509.jpg

....and then, there's this!
20240630_071525.jpg
Do we have a 🦗 grass🦗hopper 🦗problem🦗, er whut?

These are lilacs that are traditionally fully leafed this time of year!
Every seed I planted in my garden was snipped off at the ground as soon they popped out of the ground. The ONLY thing they haven't eaten up are the 🍅 tomatoes, and it's too hot for them to set fruit!

Weldor

WKR
View attachment 730416

View attachment 730417

Every seed I planted in my garden was snipped off at the ground as soon they popped out of the ground. The ONLY thing they haven't eaten up are the 🍅 tomatoes, and it's too hot for them to set fruit!
Nice looking country, of course minus the flying dinsaurs. Man that is some damage.

OP
Amos Keeto
Nice looking country, of course minus the flying dinsaurs. Man that is some damage.
Wife planted a clematis near the house. Just like the lilacs, it's just a tangle of grasshopper laden sticks.
My neighbor has about 2 acres of asparagus. The grasshoppers stripped the plants down to nothing and now they are eating the bark off the asparagus!
NOTHING is safe!

I had them really bad last year, they killed one of my pear trees and a couple others look like they may not make it either. Destroyed my garden. In some areas they were eating wooden fence posts and siding on buildings.

I got some spray at tractor supply called something like Bug be gone or dead bug. Knocked them dead, within minutes you could see it working.

This year I have a bunch also, but have sprayed them twice already while they’re small so hopefully that keeps them knocked down for the year.

OP
Amos Keeto
Time to go fishing!!
The catfish have eaten so many grasshoppers, they're beginning to sprout legs! LOL!
Have you thought about starting a free range chicken or turkey farm?
I thought about that when I walked out in the yard this morning.
I can remember watching my grampa's 🦃 turkey's herding and eating grasshoppers!
I thought to myself, "We might have some 30 pound gobblers this fall!"

OP
Amos Keeto
I had them really bad last year, they killed one of my pear trees and a couple others look like they may not make it either. Destroyed my garden. In some areas they were eating wooden fence posts and siding on buildings.

I got some spray at tractor supply called something like Bug be gone or dead bug. Knocked them dead, within minutes you could see it working.

This year I have a bunch also, but have sprayed them twice already while they’re small so hopefully that keeps them knocked down for the year.
They are so thick, any kind of spray would be a waste of money 💵!
You could kill a jillion, but there is 10 times that to take their place!
I've got some small plants that I've been treating with Sevin Dust. They still have most of their leaves.

One year my hunting buddy found dried hog scat in the creek bottom. He thought it was full of corn....until he kicked it!
THAT particular hog had eaten POUNDS of grasshoppers!
We get these invasions every few (7?) years. Not much you can do about it.

BTW! In the last invasion, I had several small pecan trees out! They didn't kill them, though I don't know how!
All that was left of the leaves was the center vein!

Last edited:
OP
Amos Keeto

They are so thick, any kind of spray would be a waste of money 💵!
You could kill a jillion, but there is 10 times that to take their place!
I've got some small plants that I've been treating with Sevin Dust. They still have most of their leaves.

One year my hunting buddy found dried hog scat in the creek bottom. He thought it was full of corn....until he kicked it!
THAT particular hog had eaten POUNDS of grasshoppers!
We get these invasions every few (7?) years. Not much you can do about it.

go_deep

WKR
The catfish have eaten so many grasshoppers, they're beginning to sprout legs! LOL!

I thought about that when I walked out in the yard this morning.
I can remember watching my grampa's 🦃 turkey's herding and eating grasshoppers!
I thought to myself, "We might have some 30 pound gobblers this fall!"

Could put a lot of free weight on some birds with that many hoppers. We call those big lines of toms walking hayfield grasshopper combines

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 730416

View attachment 730417

Wow, those are thick!

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Yeah, get a couple turkeys. When I hunted them heavily in MO, I'd always cut open their crops/stomachs to see what they were feeding on. Quite often I'd find walking sticks or grass hoppers.

Grass hoppers here were covering the road. Looked like grass debris blown onto the road from wind. I've seen grass hoppers that big, but never that many. Makes having a garden nearly impossible.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Before the hoppers came out this year at my house, I'd have a few crows bouncing around the yard eating something. But after the hoppers appear the crows never come back. They're flying around and hanging out elsewhere but never swing by here. Had a turkey in the yard a few times in the last couple months, but they never get into the garden area or lawn where the hoppers are. Between the turkeys and the crows, they could have a field day every day.