A better tree setup

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I wasn't sure to put this in the Whitetail, Bear, or gear section, so please understand this post isn't only directed for whitetails, but I'm assuming most people in trees hunt whitetails. I'm mainly a ground hunter for a number of reasons, sometimes ground blind, sometimes low profile chair, so tree hunting is something I'm not experienced with. I own an older tree stand I got second hand years ago, I'm not even sure of the brand. It's your typical stand that used to be the defacto standard 10+ years ago. Just a basic steel platform and tiny little seat. It does the job for what it is, but I'm not sure the last time I used it to good effect. The last time I used it I as so uncomfortable I only sat for 2 hours before I was drenched in sweat from the pain. That was almost 3 years ago. I have hunted from ladder stands, as well as other tree stands, and I'm just not really happy with anything I've found so far. One of those cheap 2 man ladder stands is not too bad for a single guy, but at that point it's a semi-permanent stand mostly only good for private land I could build a proper box blind anyway. Tree stands are just so limited in my area of the Dakota's, Minnesota, and Wyoming/Montana, especially climbers. I've never hunted from a climber, and I don't see how a person around here could. The only time a tree is straight, with no branches more than 4 foot up is at a golf course. Maybe northern MN in the pine forest? Hang on stands are usually not a ton better. The last time I used my own the tree had an ever so slight, maybe 5 degree forward angle I didn't know about until I was already sitting. Just that little bit was absolute hell on the legs. Any little knot in the back is horrible. A lot of times deer hunting, the best spots are oak or cottonwood trees, and normal tree stands just don't go in them very well, that's if they aren't too big. Most of the time I don't even bother, I just sit on the ground.

Now I have a need for a good tree setup that is somewhat portable, but I have no need for ultralight. It needs to be able to handle less than picture perfect trees. My main issues are comfort related. If I were a typical 5'7 guy I'm sure most stands are fine. At 6'5", most are not enjoyable, at least nothing I've found so far. I would definitely like something with a real seat like many ladder stands. I've looked at the Millenium 150, but they won't work in 90% of the trees I need them in. I haven't ruled out ladder stands, but being as most public land you can't leave stands overnight, I'd rather not use them. I haven't seen any ladder stand that looks remotely comfortable and roomy under about 65 pounds, and being as the ladder is the only real structure holding you up, I'd rather not go ultralight on one.

It seems a lot of the good tree stands I should have bought went out of business in the last few years like Twisted Timber. I'm not convinced any Lone Wolf model could be more comfortable than what I already have, and the adjustment looks pretty minimal on them anyway. I definitely want a real seat in one. I'm not seeing much for clamp on stands besides the lightweight minimal designs. Oddly the climbing stands appear to be more geared for the comfort, sit all day style. I've considered using one like a clamp on, maybe a couple ratchet straps to keep them from shifting while climbing in and out. Cougar Claw looks like they make a pretty good stand, but there's another stand called the Gunslinger that intrigues me more. One of the problems of being 6'5" is that none of the platforms of any stand I've tried are big enough to get my legs even 90 degrees without my feet hanging off the end. I see some boats platforms a LITTLE bigger, but they would have to be at least a foot longer than most to make any real difference to me. If I can't stretch my legs out a little, I can't sit more than a couple hours. The Gunslinger being backwards looks like I could rest my legs way out there. Both the Cougar Claw's and Gunslinger adjust for angles. Obviously they won't handle way out of wack trees, but I am curious how they handle gnarled oak and cottonwood trees. Unfortunately it looks to me like either stand is going to be limited to trees maybe 10" to 16" around, which is kind of limiting. I would like to hear from others If I'm completely wrong. I'd love to find out there is a way to strap these to a tree 30" diameter without climbing 40' to the top. There is one tree stand I found that I will talk about later being as it's such an oddball.

I initially discounted saddles/slings just because they are the epitome of lightweight and minimalistic, at least I thought so. My one and only experience with one was quite basic. Just a little saddle that you wore, and it supported your butt and lower back a little. It felt secure, but at the same time you can't really sit down in it. Sure you could rest your knees against the tree, but that's not fun, and all your upper body is left unsupported. Otherwise you are left standing, and it's not long before you feel it in your legs or hips. I never hunted with it, but I have a really hard time believing a person could hunt more than 2-3 hours from one like that, which is fine for what they are meant for, but not what I want. Later I found there is a whole variety of saddles out there, and the ones that interest me the most are the hybrids. Specifically the JX3 Hybrid saddle. It's basically a chair you hang from. There are others out there I see, but nothing seems to be close to the JX3 as far as thought for comfort. I see plenty of reviews online for them, however, I can't find anyone who did a good 6+ hour sit in one. Nothing is ever comfortable after a full 12+ hour all day sit, but I don't do that very often anymore. I would at least like to make it from before sunrise to noon though without too much discomfort. So how comfortable are these really?

Last I have a couple of oddballs that I actually really like. The first is the Woodsey Too tree stand, which I think is a phenomenal idea. If they weren't $500, I would have already bought one. It's pretty light, and the seat should be plenty comfortable. The angle adjustment looks perfect. My one and only concern is the platform is tiny, I doubt I would have more than my heels on it. I'm not as concerned about that, as I could easily fabricate some foot rests. It's too bad they didn't mount the seat closer to the tree. You would loose the full 360 swivel, but I don't care about that anyway, I'd rather have leg room. I have not called them yet to see if that's something they would do. The last oddball I actually not even a tree stand. Millenium, and I assume others make aluminum portable tripod stands. I don't need a ton of height. 8' to the floor is more then enough for me. Not dealing with climbing or harnesses would be nice. The real bonus is this could be useful in a lot of area there simply are no trees, especially around home in the Dakotas. I hunt a lot of areas that are nothing but tall grass or cattails from the ground, but a tripod put up into a bush or small tree for concealment has crossed my mind before. If that stand had any kind of platform, I might try it. For the price, I might buy it and make my own platform for it.

I'd like to hear how others, especially bigger guys have deal with tree hunting for longer sits.

buy a millennium M7 they are smaller than a 150. not as comfortable but smaller and easier to get around. If i know i want to do an all day sit im going to use the 150 though.

Ive also got a lone wolf custom gear stand. its nice but spendy and i use it as a run and gun setup on public.

AHorst

FNG
Rivers Edge big foot hang ons. They have a some larger platform stands that might give you just enough leg room. They have some of the classic hang on seats that make your butt sore after a few hours and they have the lounger seats that look a lot more comfortable. I have the rogue XL and big foot XL classic on my land and I like them both but have never sat in them longer than 6 hours. The brute looks like it would comfortable enough for a full day sit. Not sure if the straps they come with could get around a 30" tree but all you would have to do is get a ratchet strap to use instead.

Btaylor

WKR
The only other alternative that offers being off the ground I could think of.

Rich M

WKR
Summit climbern s safe and comfy and 20#.

Ladder stands are nice but only if you can park it there for a while.

I dont like lock ons as ive had both them and climbing sticks shift. Use a safety harness.

ccc9092

FNG
Check XOP stands, they have a climber that I’ve heard good things about. I have Lone Wolf but seems that might not be a good fit for you.

Just given your body type there might not be a comfortable stand on the market for you. Might just have to pick the “most” comfortable option. Don’t know many people who have sat in a tree stand in pure comfort; you’re buts gonna get cold, legs fall asleep, etc. A little discomfort keeps you focused!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I've looked through the Summit stands, but I have to say the prices on those are absolutely insane for a Chineese stand. If I were to get a climber, it sure seems the USA made Cougar Claw has the market beat right now. Using a climber as a climber simply isn't an option for me. The number of trees that I could climb up with one... well I can't think of any right now. They simply aren't an option in the western midwest without giving up some great spots. I'm only looking at climbers since they seem to be the style that has full seats/backrests, and sizable platforms. That and Cougar Claw has adjustments so they will set level with less than perfect trees. Lock ons can shift, but I would have to imagine they are better than climbers, or am I wrong about that? Yes tree sticks can shift too. I'm not a fan of them at all. I use steps which lock together so they basically turn into a small ladder. I don't remember the brand, they were some no-name from Fleet Farm, but they work well. They don't shift when you have them put together. A lot of people use those strap on sticks and spread them out as much as possible so they barely get the next foot on them. I'm not into that sketch nonsense. I also don't use screw ins. Some states allow them, some dont. I'd prefer not to bother with them.

I just looked up the XOP Ambush. It looks decent, but the platform is really tiny. Also for that price, I'd rather just get the USA made Cougar Claw Bubba Prowler. I don't expect pure comfort. Even sitting in a living room in a reclining chair would hurt after 6 hours. I can't be cramping and sweating sitting in a tree though, that's just not fun. I need a platform big enough to at least let me sit with my feet on it, and I need a real seat. I'm sure there's plenty out there that sit in their minimalist stands all morning, but that's not me.

I agree ladder stands are kind of a pain, but they seem to be one of the options that will work right now. Runnings has a sale going right now, so I might buy one anyway. Where I need it right now I can get to without too much work, plus I am allowed to leave it up for a few weeks. The biggest problem I have with ladder stands is you can't really set them up same-day. I mean you could, but there's nothing subtle about it. There's just too much assembly and noise to use one on public land other than bear hunting.

I still haven't called Woodsey Too to see if they could modify a grey ghost for me. The more I look at that stand, the more I like it.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Hawk has some with actual seats, and I believe they have an angle adjustment too. I really like my helium XL, perfect for trees with slight angles and the seat is comfortable for all day sits.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Millenium M150(Monster) is your answer, imo. I can hang out forever in that thing and never get tired. True mesh seat, extra large platform, and a foot rest.

Yeah the M150 is a good one. Only stand I have ever felt comfortable enough to fall asleep in (I wasn't trying, it just happened). Just like every other hang on stand, you have to be a bit selective. It is reasonably light for what it is though. It is great for all day sits.

I really want to look into the saddle thing but have really gravitated toward not sitting in trees, although there isn't much choice around here.

WCB

WKR
MIllenium M7 is a great extremely portable small stand with a super comfortable seat. However I would go with the M100. The millenium seats with the backs are gold. Not even close to another stand that is as comfortable. The 150 would be my pick for a more permanent set up as they are huge.

The millennium quick hang brackets are awesome for presetting stands or just hand and hunt applications. I hunt ND a lot and have for 20+ years. Since I have got a M7 and a M100 I have set up in some very short wind stunted trees with no issues. With the seats with backs on them for the most part if the tree is not quit right you can at least sit back n the seat and it cradles you a bit so you don't feel like you are going to just fall out.

I will say my Lone Wolf is nice for the platform leveling and seat leveling.

Ducker

FNG
I hunted an m100 a few times, and while very comfy and portable, I seem to have trouble standing up from the seat when something is nearby. Great treestand, and it is not that I'm a bucket ass, but I seem to make more movement getting up out of that seat than others.

I suggest looking for a lightly used Summit Viper on Facebook Marketplace. You can find some good used gear there. I have two - their Viper and their collapsing open front Broadhead. Both are reasonably weighted, quiet and comfortable.

OP
N

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the M150 is a good one. Only stand I have ever felt comfortable enough to fall asleep in (I wasn't trying, it just happened). Just like every other hang on stand, you have to be a bit selective. It is reasonably light for what it is though. It is great for all day sits.

I really want to look into the saddle thing but have really gravitated toward not sitting in trees, although there isn't much choice around here.

I'm in the same boat, which is why I started this thread. I live in South Dakota. Tree stands are often used, but hunting from the ground is really the better option almost all the time. It might be different if rifle hunting deer, but if doing anything else, it isn't like you get a bunch of trees to choose from.

I'll look into that Millenium stand. If I can find a sale that gets it down to say $250, I'd try it. It says it will do up to 15 degree angle adjustment which seems like it should at least work most of the time.

I'm in the same boat, which is why I started this thread. I live in South Dakota. Tree stands are often used, but hunting from the ground is really the better option almost all the time. It might be different if rifle hunting deer, but if doing anything else, it isn't like you get a bunch of trees to choose from.

I'll look into that Millenium stand. If I can find a sale that gets it down to say $250, I'd try it. It says it will do up to 15 degree angle adjustment which seems like it should at least work most of the time.
Grew up there too. West river, so most of our stuff was spot and stalk. I've used hang ons in the hills and had no issues with them. Have bowhunted around Webster/Waubay quite a bit and never had any issue hanging hang ons in shelterbelts and such. Never had much luck with blinds, at least where we were hunting.

WoodBow

WKR
Another vote for the m7. I love mine. I modified it to hang on a lag bolt. So I can have bolts in trees I have hunted before and it just slides right over the bolt and done.

OP
N

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the m7. I love mine. I modified it to hang on a lag bolt. So I can have bolts in trees I have hunted before and it just slides right over the bolt and done.
Sorry, but the m7 looks worse than the one I already have. No way I'm sitting in that 6 hours. And there no way I'm trusting my life to a single lag bolt in a tree either.

WoodBow

WKR
Sorry, but the m7 looks worse than the one I already have. No way I'm sitting in that 6 hours. And there no way I'm trusting my life to a single lag bolt in a tree either.
Cool. That's what safety harnesses are for. Are you aware of the breaking strength and holding strength of a large lag bolt? I am because I looked it up. I will trust it over a Chinese made strap any day.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I used big game stands for many years as permanent (seasonal) set ups. Boss xl I believe.

Rodgers sports was where I purchased them....had 7.

This season I will use xop silver and the e-z hang brackets. Stand will go in/out with me for the most part.

Last edited:
A couple thoughts/questions from another tall guy.

1. Tree stands that are effective at carrying around and putting in almost any tree, are not as comfortable.
2. You don't *just* sit all day. You stand and shake the aches out when it gets bad
3. How are you climbing your trees?
4. The XOP Vanish EVO has a large platform for your feet, but their seat cushion isn't so great. I'm going to try the newer upgraded one this season

Lastly, if you learn to "one stick" Climb, you can go anywhere, and hunt any tree much more easily. Bonus points for rappelling down at the end of the hunt! You're a ground hunter as well, so let me show you my run and gun setup.

Requires:
1x Kifaru/SG/Exo frame
1x XOP Vanish evolution tree stand
1x Hawk Helium climbing stick with a two step rope aider
1x rock climbing harness, an assortment of carabiners, a linemans belt and rappel rope that doubles as a tether
1x Guide lid, or similar

This setup can be used at ground level as a stool for hunting out of blinds, but can climb a tree in 10 minutes safely. It's not feather light, but it's light enough to cover 5-7 miles while scouting, and then you just setup before primetime. Now I don't feel the need to sit for six hours in a tree if there's no deer movement. I just get down and keep going. If a ground sit is better, I just setup. If I find the perfect tree, I'm hunting in 10-15 minutes

EDIT: I can't find a photo of it collapsed down atm, but it's literally one buckle and the stand goes from flat against the frame, to a seat. Not pictures is the rock climbing harness I'm wearing, with two dump pouches that hold all my safety ropes, and my figure 8 for rappelling.
IMG_2463.jpg
IMG_2664.jpg