Grand Slammers?

BuzzH

WKR
My "grand slam" for sheep has always been 4 rams, any species. That's a lofty goal for a lower 48 hunter of average means, but I started applying and hunting sheep long before it became expensive and popular. Always wanted at least one bighorn and one thinhorn, any species.

Shot a ram in 1995 when AK was still mostly OTC, mostly still affordable for about any NR that could save a bit, and when there were a fair few really good rams...and when sheep hunting wasn't a big "thing", like now.

Shot a mid-160's type ram that was over 40 on the long horn...11.5 years old.

dall4.JPG

dall5.JPG

Got lucky and drew a NR AZ desert tag in 2012. Went down about 2 weeks prior to the opener, got to look at a majority of the rams in the unit I drew. I know there were a few I didn't find, but found a half dozen that were what I was looking for.

Got the one I picked as my first choice about 30 minutes into the season. Never did score it, but IIRC, it was a mid 160's type ram according to the AZGF when I checked the ram in.

Few days before opening day:

IMG_0948.JPG

Opening morning:

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

In 2019, I drew Wyoming and had a couple friends help me out a ton, lots of days on my own as well. Spent 26 days hunting rams, saw sheep everyday, rams probably 90% of the days I hunted. Also saw lots of goats, elk, some mule deer, a small black bear, and a handful of grizzlies. Finally shot a ram with about a week left in the season, 9.5 years old, low 160's ram.

IMG_3242.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

Probably be lying if I didnt have a bit of desire to hunt a stone...but not sure if that's ever going to happen. Still think I will get lucky and draw another tag in the lower-48, have a lot of points in a lot of states. Getting tougher and tougher all the time for the average guy to chase rams...cost, number of people applying, declining tag numbers, etc. etc.

BuzzH

WKR
Also, not my ram, but got to spend a couple weeks in 2005 scouting for my Dad's Montana ram. I think I saw a majority of the rams in this unit as well during my time scouting, took lots of pictures and video. Dad liked this ram the most:

IMG_0693.JPG

So, when we started hunting, found the ram right away and that was that. Really fun hunt with just my Dad and Brother...wont forget that day:

IMG_0763.JPG

Officially net scored 183 and change.

IMG_0745.JPG

Helped another friend in Montana a couple years prior to my Dad's tag. Was a great time and my friend ended up with this one, not real heavy but 10.5 years old and over 40 on the long horn, net scored 179 and change.

Me with my buddies ram.

tomsram2.jpg

Kotaman

WKR
Completed Grand Slam/FNAWS and Super Slam in 2018. Have since taken a Fannin and RM Bighorn. Was set to finish my second FNAWS in ‘20 but COVID had other plans. Currently in a “holding pattern” for Desert #2. Dall was supposed to happen again in August of ‘20 in the Yukon, but postponed until August of this year.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
2 of 4 and that’s more than likely how things will always be for me which is totally fine. If I came into some serious cash, I’d pursue the desert sheep and the stone sheep but that dosent seem likely right now. If I won a drawing or something and got the 3rd then I could see taking the plunge for the 4th but that’s statistically unlikely.

I was able to get a bighorn back in 2006, then taken a few dalls here in Alaska.

My hunting mentor moved to Alaska a long time ago mostly to hunt sheep.
He shot a grand slam with his rifle... 1980s bighorn in the Salmon River country of Idaho,
stone in British Columbia in the 1990s, desert bighorn on a lucky Utah draw in the 2000s.
The stone cost him $10k which we thought was a lot back in the 1990s!

I learned a lot from him and was fortunate to be with him when he shot his last ram
at age 70 (photo)
Picture 066 (2).jpg

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
I have two now and will get #3 in March. Then Stone to make Slam if ever do.