Grain free dog food??

I fed all 4 of my dogs Native 2 and 3 for years. It was a good alternative to some of the cheaper foods and it has quality ingredients. We got into a spell where we couldn’t find Native anywhere and switched to pro plan sport 30/20.

Fast forward a couple months and my dogs have never been so excited to eat and their stools are literally 99% better. I’m a total convert.

Mosby

WKR
I have settled on PPP Sport 30/20 Salmon & Rice for my dogs. I have tried a lot of different dog food over the years and I didn't see any benefit out of the process. My dogs like the food, weight is good, coats are good and what they leave behind is easy to clean up. Not sure what I could improve by switching so I'm leaving well enough alone this time.

jmez

WKR
We used to feed Pro Plan. Availability sucks and is a constant issue. Got tired of dealing with it. Wife and I are both vets and used to get it shipped on automatic allocation. We got it about 50% of the time. Never an issue with Royal Canin and it is better food.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

jfs82

WKR
Always did brown rice, raw egg and meat (especially liver and/or salmon) and spinach for my huskies, was always recommended whole, non wheat grains.

Sapcut

WKR
My vet just told me it's bad for dogs. I swear she said it was good for dogs a few years ago. Anyone know the facts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The facts are....dogs nor humans are designed to eat grains or much fruits and veggies at all. We are designed to eat meat. The result of the partaking in such backwards food ideology is evident every where you go, 8 of 10 people you see, Urgent Care stores on every corner, chemical tablet stores on every corner, consistent near capacity hospitals and multidisease pandemic. This ain't geneitic either. It is sugar, carbs and cheap grains farmed in the fraudulent name of "Feeding the world".

Now just imagine the cheap crap they will get away with putting in food for dogs. Carnivores eat carnage not grainage.

We fed Victor Hi-Pro Plus to a previous dog. It is not grain free. It did have Taurine on the ingredient list, however. I thought it was interesting.

Current dog is feeding Purina Pro Plan Performance.
How do you like the pro plan to victor? I switched from pro plan to victor a couple months back , I like the victor better personally

Dos XX

WKR
How do you like the pro plan to victor? I switched from pro plan to victor a couple months back , I like the victor better personally

Previous dog ate Victor for the last few years of his life. He did great on it. Current dog was being fed Pro Plan by the breeder when we got him. We knew he was going off to training and that the trainer fed Pro Plan, so we left him on it. He is coming back next week. I bought a couple bags of PP, so he is going to be on it for a while unless something happens.

I like the Victor and would have no problem feeding it if my dog did ok with it.

Fed our little dogs Grain Free Organix for a couple of years. One has a enlarged heart, not sure if food is the cause. Have been feeding him salmon with regular kibble for two years now which has kept his heart from enlarging anymore. Vet says its the salmon that is helping. Isn't cheap, but worth it.

Dos XX

WKR
Apologies if they have already been recommended, but Orijen is a pretty good brand.
There are 7 different peas, beans, and legumes listed in the ingredients of that food. I'm not claiming to be a dog food expert or a vet, but the grain free / heart problem deal mentions legumes specifically, if I remember correctly. Might be worth asking your vet about.

Rick M.

WKR
There are 7 different peas, beans, and legumes listed in the ingredients of that food. I'm not claiming to be a dog food expert or a vet, but the grain free / heart problem deal mentions legumes specifically, if I remember correctly. Might be worth asking your vet about.
No, this is a great callout. I haven't used the brand in a few years (my ex-wife got the dog), but this is what we used to use for our dog. I just remember being the best we could find at the time, and figured it may still be a good brand.

I dont understand people who are anti grains in the dogs diet. Multiple vets say most dogs shouldnt be fed grain free. They are no way benefiting from what type of food you feed your dog. Dogs out in the villages or on sled teams eat mostly salmon mush. But they have been eating it for multiple generations and are different then you run of the mill house dog who lives a cozy life sitting on your couch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dos XX

WKR
No, this is a great callout. I haven't used the brand in a few years (my ex-wife got the dog), but this is what we used to use for our dog. I just remember being the best we could find at the time, and figured it may still be a good brand.

The reason I was familiar with this particular food is we were feeding the 6 fish blend to our previous dog. After the vet told us about the grain free / heart problem thing, we started looking at the ingredients. That is when we switched him over to Victor.

Rick M.

WKR
The reason I was familiar with this particular food is we were feeding the 6 fish blend to our previous dog. After the vet told us about the grain free / heart problem thing, we started looking at the ingredients. That is when we switched him over to Victor.
Nice, I'll keep the Victor brand in mind. I'm heading back to the midwest and plan to get into some upland hunting. I'm glad to hear the industry keeps improving. When I was a kid, the stuff most people fed their dogs could hardly be called food. People will pay thousands for a good dog, and then feed it complete garbage.

How has your dog handled the switch over to Victor?

Dos XX

WKR
Nice, I'll keep the Victor brand in mind. I'm heading back to the midwest and plan to get into some upland hunting. I'm glad to hear the industry keeps improving. When I was a kid, the stuff most people fed their dogs could hardly be called food. People will pay thousands for a good dog, and then feed it complete garbage.

How has your dog handled the switch over to Victor?
That dog died about 2 years ago. He was 2 weeks from being 11. He had DCM. I certainly can't claim the grain free food caused it, but I do wonder. We fed him Victor for the last year or two of his life, after we found out about the DCM. He did great on it.

Last edited:

Sapcut

WKR
I dont understand people who are anti grains in the dogs diet. Multiple vets say most dogs shouldnt be fed grain free.
Not much to not understand. Canine dogs are carnivores. Every one of them and no one has to be a vet to know that. As well as vets, medical doctors tell their sick diabetic patients it is not bad to eat grains and carbs. But rather to just taking the medicine prescribed and they will continue to manage your disease. And then we can be forever repeat customers.

lacseul

FNG
Dog Food Explained - Check these out LOL! Just make sure you feed them Blue River and you'll be fine

(2014)

(2022)

Mosby

WKR
Here is a good summary/article about grains and corn in dog food.

busting-myths-corn-and-grain

I fed my GSP Victor for a short time and it seemed fine but the breeder I got her from talked me into feeding PPP Sport 30/20. He said he tried Victor at his kennel and it didn't work out. He couldn't keep weight on his dogs and switched his dogs back to Purina. The PPP Sport has over 500 calories per cup and is about 100 calories more per cup than the Hi Pro. I just got a Vizsla pup a few weeks ago. The Vizsla breeder tried to switch to Victor after 15 years on PPP. When I picked the pup up, I asked her if she was still feeding Victor(so I could pick up a bag for the pup), she said no. The pup's mom didn't do well on it and they switched back to PPP.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this stuff and I think it could vary by dog and breed but I had two different breeders of two different breeds tell me to feed PPP and not Victor to my hunting dogs. I could probably find two other breeders who would say the opposite so take it fwiw but I decided to follow their advice and I feed the PPP Sport 30/20 Salmon & Rice. Both my dogs are doing well on it. YMMV.

Not much to not understand. Canine dogs are carnivores. Every one of them and no one has to be a vet to know that. As well as vets, medical doctors tell their sick diabetic patients it is not bad to eat grains and carbs. But rather to just taking the medicine prescribed and they will continue to manage your disease. And then we can be forever repeat customers.
You got on your tinfoil hat as well? . Go ahead feed your dog blue buffalo and taste of the wild and when their heart goes out you will be to blame.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk