Grain free dog food??

finner

Lil-Rokslider
Sport Dog food is great. Direct to consumer, subscription service that's grain free and legume free and not crazy expensive.

Sapcut

WKR
You got on your tinfoil hat as well? . Go ahead feed your dog blue buffalo and taste of the wild and when their heart goes out you will be to blame.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I am all ears and more than open for you to explain why there is a disease and ailment pandemic in humans and pets if it is not terrible processed high carb diets for animals designed to eat meat.

KurtR

WKR
I am all ears and more than open for you to explain why there is a disease and ailment pandemic in humans and pets if it is not terrible processed high carb diets for animals designed to eat meat.
I would like to know the disease and ailments you know of personally in sporting dogs fed one of the high quality foods like ppp, victor, kinetic or eukanuba. I know of a bunch of labs pushing 12-14 years of age and still in good shape for that age and have worked their whole life hunting or running field trails.

Sapcut

WKR
I would like to know the disease and ailments you know of personally in sporting dogs fed one of the high quality foods like ppp, victor, kinetic or eukanuba. I know of a bunch of labs pushing 12-14 years of age and still in good shape for that age and have worked their whole life hunting or running field trails.
I do not specifically, but in dogs I know of generally speaking, are more sick and on more medication than ever before exactly like humans.

gbflyer

WKR
Isn’t it weird that 35-40 years ago dogs just got dog food? We had working pointers and retrievers when I was a kid. We took them to the Vet for their shots or for an emergency situation like needing stitches. There were not all these allergies and food issues, etc. They lived and were active for 15 years plus. They lived in a kennel, outside, slept in an insulated dog house. These dogs we have now, there’s always something. Too much bad breeding? I don’t know but I’m quickly beginning to think this 2y/o Lab will be my last dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
@Ryan Avery just go with Purina. They are the most popular for a reason, everyone I know and all vets I have talked to recommend them.

Gseith

WKR
How messy is this?
I’ve thought about doing a raw diet for future dogs but my dogs stay in the house and are fed in the house. I know my wife’s first thoughts would be that it’s going to make a mess lol

It can be messy. My dogs chow down a whole hindquarter in seconds.
They either eat in there crate or outside in a kennel.
We also feed them in our attached garage

Gseith

WKR
I think the chicken keeps them healthy. No nasty vet visits since I started them on the diet.
It’s also cheaper than most premium dog food brands. They eat 10lbs. a week which cost $7.

KurtR

WKR
Isn’t it weird that 35-40 years ago dogs just got dog food? We had working pointers and retrievers when I was a kid. We took them to the Vet for their shots or for an emergency situation like needing stitches. There were not all these allergies and food issues, etc. They lived and were active for 15 years plus. They lived in a kennel, outside, slept in an insulated dog house. These dogs we have now, there’s always something. Too much bad breeding? I don’t know but I’m quickly beginning to think this 2y/o Lab will be my last dog.

100% to many back yard breeders looking to make a buck. Just look at the assholes that make silver labs. They are one big health problem to bad for the dog.

My neighbor has a yellow female lab and the other day he said we should have pups with my male. I then gave him the list of genetic tests on top of ofa certs and he lost interest really quick.

I just want to know who free feeds?

I have PPP 30/20 in my BLM's bowl all the time.

Probably doing him a disservice since in the wild a canine might only eat every 3 days.
My red lab wouldn’t allow food to remain in his bowl ever. We have to control his feeding and don’t mind being able to add or subtract depending on activity level.

My red lab wouldn’t allow food to remain in his bowl ever. We have to control his feeding and don’t mind being able to add or subtract depending on activity level.
20220103_120022.jpg20220103_115927.jpg

6.5 yo. 64#, been 64# since around 9-10 months.

Never had dogs that I needed to be bothered about a feeding rate, but they stay active.

Cheap co-op food and it seems like most the border collies have gone 14-16 years, retire by 12, but still a good reasonably long life.

First one I have gotten the high dollar food for, just glad I don't need to be concerned with a feed rate. Keep food in the bowl, he handles what he needs.

Whish I was that way, I got myself an eating problem anymore.

KurtR

WKR
I just want to know who free feeds?

I have PPP 30/20 in my BLM's bowl all the time.

Probably doing him a disservice since in the wild a canine might only eat every 3 days.
My lab licks his bowl clean would never leave a drop my previous 2 also would have ate for ever

mwebs

WKR
My lab will eat so much that she literally can’t drink water because there is no room in her stomach, so we stick to 5 cups a day of Victor Hi Pro plus haha. And yea that actually happened when she got a hold of an open food container at my friends house, she would try to drink water and burp/ puke it up, her stomach was bulging so much I thought about taking her to the vet.

KurtR

WKR
Maybe let him do it a few times, see if he realizes he don't need to.

Don't know, not that it matters any, I just like the simplicity of it.
I like knowing when he has eaten so I don’t have to worry about bloat. I know a couple dogs that dies last year because of it and it scares the hell out of me. So I know he won’t eat before or at least till he is good and cooled down after. 1.5 cups morning and evening depending on what we are doing that day or the next day. We have a little dog inside he is free fed but he is also a huge beggar and table scraps to haha

I like knowing when he has eaten so I don’t have to worry about bloat. I know a couple dogs that dies last year because of it and it scares the hell out of me. So I know he won’t eat before or at least till he is good and cooled down after. 1.5 cups morning and evening depending on what we are doing that day or the next day. We have a little dog inside he is free fed but he is also a huge beggar and table scraps to haha

Yeah, mine isn't a morning eater so I don't need to worry about bloat, or twisted stomach.

Don't hunt him near as hard as I first intended anyways. If I was traveling with him to hunt more I'd have a list of concerns.

Cynoscion

WKR
Reading threads like this is crazy to me. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way but DAMN some people worry more about their dogs then some folks do about their kids.
I’ve raised working dogs my entire adult life. They work hard during season and get red flannel feed. It’s cheap and they do well on it. Off season they get sport mix black bag. It’s cheap and they do well on it, haha. Turds are firm, no squirts and dogs are healthy. Remember that you should be able to see a dog’s ribs and his flanks should be “pulled up”. Most dogs I see are over fed and obese (similar to the average person today). My dogs live outside, in kennels with plenty of fresh water and exercise. I do all of their shots and take care of injuries myself unless it requires major surgery and in that case, a good ol country vet takes care of it and usually in the dead of night at a serious discount bc he knows they help me make a living.
I am a firm believer in exercise and routine for long, healthy life. Start with routine exercise and feeding at a young age and continue it throughout life. This works for both dogs and people. Feed your dogs once per day (puppies twice). Same time everyday (doesn’t need to be exact). Make everything a routine for them and I’d bet most of the problems go away.