Grain free dog food??

A coyote's diet is varied more than a wolf, so is a fox for that matter. Depending on breed, most of our canine pets resemble foxes and coyotes more than wolves and we can feed accordingly.

Trappers often use coyote scat for sets and collecting it year round and freezing it for later use, many would be surprised to see the variance of "food" consumed and eliminated. A coyote will literally consume anything it can get in its mouth. Corn and grass from the paunch, feathers, small bones, reptiles, insects (they love grasshoppers), worms, hair, meat, and yes veggies too. Raccoons play hob in gardens, but large producers of melons often find coyotes will enjoy the watermelon patches in the summer time. (Remember Asop's fox and grapes story, yup, foxes enjoy them.)

Purina Pro Plan and Victor are two of the most reputable outfits out there and there are many, many working kennels that use them. Accurate information is tough to come by and while there may be others that are good, I finally decided on Purina Pro Plan in the variety that met my needs. I based this on the use and reccomendation of many individuals with working dogs and their experience, in addition to the feeding tests Purina does.

In this day and age, we make the best decision we can and move forward with life. Paralysis by analysis is a modern way of life and we are blessed to have the availability of information we do. Some days I wonder if we simply have too much.

I’ve heard it both ways. My solution is just to buy decent quality limited ingredient foods. Seems to be a lot less filler.

Gobbler36

WKR

This is what I use and it seems to have good results. Taurine enriched and no potatoes they use peas it seems as a binding agent. My GSP gets a lot of bones and organs too

LostArra

WKR
My wife was concerned about our dog getting the taurine while he eats a dead gopher that the cats killed or snacks on raccoon turds. Should be some taurine in there somewhere.

LuvDog

FNG
We stopped grain free with our last dog because of all the new studies.

Now the debate that I have is do I continue to use the elevated dog bowls or not. Some say using them has an increased chance of causing bloat with dogs

ofl0926

WKR
We stopped grain free with our last dog because of all the new studies.

Now the debate that I have is do I continue to use the elevated dog bowls or not. Some say using them has an increased chance of causing bloat with dogs

That is news to me. All my dogs use an elevated bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Button

WKR
My dog eats the yellow bag of taste of the wild. Tried changing it once and she wouldn’t eat the new flavor/brand. She also eats cat shit, not sure how she can be picky about dog food but activity hunts cat turds to scarf down.

We switched to grain free from Purina Pro to try and fix some allergy issues. Dog was constantly itchy and scratching his armpits raw. Tried Taste of the Wild grain free and it seems to have solved the problem. I’d have no issues feeding food with grains otherwise.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Grain free killed a coworkers otherwise health lab r/t heart failure according to her Vet, don't remember what brand, but it wasn't cheap. Her second dog started having the same issues but was caught in time.

We use an elevated feeder because at one time I was told it was better for large dogs. I have never heard anything to the contrary until now. After a quick trip to the Google I am now questioning it. Thanks for bringing it up.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
My personal vet and several others I've talked to in the area all said a big NO to grain free in dogs. I feed my working field bred golden Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20. Never had an issue, he's in great shape, just turned 6 and still runs 5 miles a day with me and chases pheasants all fall.

FWIW Seth Bynum (MeatEaters's Bird dog vet) feeds his dog Purina Pro Plan Sport. You'll have a hard time finding a guy that hunts over a dog more than him, and he uses that. I asked him about the grain free and he said it was a really bad fad with great marketing.

A couple TV hunting celebrities (who are set for trial next month) only feed their dog deer meat....lol

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
My vet wife also only feeds our cat and dog Royal Canin. Not a fan of most other brands. Then again she gets RC for about 50-60% off...ha

Gseith

WKR
I feed my dogs raw chicken hindquarters. I have been doing it for about 15years. Dogs eat less, crap less, and look healthy. The bone and marrow are good for them and the bones are good for their teeth. Started the diet for my wolf hybrid and huskies after talking with some zoos about the diets for their wolves.
And I have learned the splintering bones only applies to cooked chicken. Uncooked bones are actually healthy for them.

ofl0926

WKR
I feed my dogs raw chicken hindquarters. I have been doing it for about 15years. Dogs eat less, crap less, and look healthy. The bone and marrow are good for them and the bones are good for their teeth. Started the diet for my wolf hybrid and huskies after talking with some zoos about the diets for their wolves.
And I have learned the splintering bones only applies to cooked chicken. Uncooked bones are actually healthy for them.

How messy is this?
I’ve thought about doing a raw diet for future dogs but my dogs stay in the house and are fed in the house. I know my wife’s first thoughts would be that it’s going to make a mess lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk