Gloves for PNW?

rootacres

WKR
So I have a blacktail hunt booked for up near Roseburg OR. After a post and some more research everyone is telling me to get some good gloves to help protect myself from the poison oak/ivy. Im sure there will be rain to contend with too. All my western hunts have been in more high desert type terrain (WY, AZ, NM etc). I have gotten by with just fingerless merino gloves from FL. What do you all recommend for this hunt? Thanks

I've never worn gloves on coastal range hunts. We've been through some absolutely nasty brush and haven't run into poison oak issues. I'd recommend keeping a cheap pair of leather work gloves on hand that fit your hand well and aren't too bulky, maybe the gardening style ones. You'll want good dexterity to grab onto logs and branches to stabilize yourself but no matter what gloves you wear they're going to take a beating and get soaked no matter how good they are. We were absolutely thrashed each day of last years' hunt on the coast.

When it’s real wet and cold I’ll wear fingerless merino just to keep some heat on my knuckles. The Kuiu Guide gloves work great for busting brush and have really nice leather palms.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
There is a ton of poison oak in the Roseburg area. If you are really sensitive to it I would consider nitrile gloves. The oil from the plant will get on everything that touches the plant so you can get it on your face by wiping your face with your sleeve, for example.

I don't get poison oak but grew up in Southern Oregon and have seen a lot of people suffer from it. I would consider talking to your doctor before you go and be prepared in case you have a reaction.

A lot of the times it's avoidable but...

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
There is a ton of poison oak in the Roseburg area. If you are really sensitive to it I would consider nitrile gloves. The oil from the plant will get on everything that touches the plant so you can get it on your face by wiping your face with your sleeve, for example.

I don't get poison oak but grew up in Southern Oregon and have seen a lot of people suffer from it. I would consider talking to your doctor before you go and be prepared in case you have a reaction.

A lot of the times it's avoidable but...

I don't think I am super sensitive to it. I have had poison oak 1 time in the last 15 years. It came on from a day of hanging tree stands, T storm rolled through, got soaked and kept going. Hang 3-4 stands that day. Got small spots on both biceps and forearms. I imagine from hanging onto the tree.

Im thinking something is better than nothing in terms of gloves. Just debating on going a more waterproof route or something like a KUIU Attack glove.

2-Stix

WKR
Kuiu axis gloves might work. I find it a bit warm wearing gloves in So OR for blacktail. I hunt more south than you.