Under $700 optic for a beginner to grow with

clarito

FNG
I'll start by saying I've done some fairly extensive searching in these forums before making this post and I've come across a lot of varying info and opinions.

I'd like to buy an optic that I can learn on and eventually hunt with. Ideally it wouldn't have to be replaced in the next few years, will hold zero when hiking through mountainous terrain, will be usable out to 600 yards, and somewhat lightweight. I'm looking at the SWFA fixed 10x, trying to find the 3-9 or maybe the 3-15 used, as well as the Trijicon Accupoint and Huron. $700 is the absolute top of the budget and ideally I'd be more in the $500 or less range. I'm lost when it comes to dialing vs. holding, reticles, etc. I understand that mil-quad is a good place to start but that leaves out the Accupoint.

I've purchased a stainless Tikka T3x in 6.5 CM as my first bolt gun and first proper big game hunting rifle. I have a fair amount of experience shooting with iron sights within about 150 yards (mostly .22 LR and 7.26x39) but have never owned an optic of any sort and have seldom shot with them.

My goal is to (eventually) hunt feral hogs, elk, mule deer, and antelope out to maybe 600 yards if I can get my skills up to the task. I'm in northern NM, would be traveling for the hogs obviously.

Thanks in advance for any advice you're willing to offer. I've already learned quite a bit from browsing and searching these forums.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
The Trijicon Huron is a pretty good value with the straight duplex reticle. You should be able to find a 3-9 or 2-10 Trijicon Credo in that price range as well. Another that won’t necessarily get a lot of love here is the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50, which has really nice glass and a lot of value. Can be had for at, or just under $700 at a couple places. Just a few to consider.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Watch the classifieds here and buy a variable power SWFA for that money. Don’t buy a fixed power unless it is 6x.

Arcola

FNG
Trijicon Credo gets my vote. I much prefer it to the SWFAs that I’ve had. Zero stop is a must for me. Should be able to find one around your price range. 3-15 is good magnification for out to 600.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I'd find a deal on a NF SHV.

Here is an open box at Eurooptic for $939. Slightly outside your budget, but save for another month or two. Buy once cry once. Heck, I bt you can find a used SHV for under $700 if you watch the classified here.

Link

My experience with Trijicon has been that they are decent mechanically, but the glass leaves a lot to be desired.

I have never regretted money spent on optics except the cheap ones. I have particularly never regretted money spent on NF optics.

eric1115

WKR
I'd keep an eye out for a LRHS, especially the 3-12 (though I say that hesitantly since I'm watching for one too and they tend to get snapped up quickly).

FFP, reticle useable at all magnification ranges, great reliability, good glass.

KenLee

WKR
I'd find a deal on a NF SHV.

Here is an open box at Eurooptic for $939. Slightly outside your budget, but save for another month or two. Buy once cry once. Heck, I bt you can find a used SHV for under $700 if you watch the classified here.

Link

My experience with Trijicon has been that they are decent mechanically, but the glass leaves a lot to be desired.

I have never regretted money spent on optics except the cheap ones. I have particularly never regretted money spent on NF optics.
Your eyes are much different than mine. I'd take Accupoint glass over SHV glass anyday.

sdupontjr

WKR
Trijicon credo 4-16x50 is your huckleberry. While slightly over your budget by about $100, you can find them in very good condition used and will serve the purpose.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
Your eyes are much different than mine. I'd take Accupoint glass over SHV glass anyday.

I have two Trijicon Accupower scopes. They are both 3-9x40 with illuminated reticles. I have had several experiences where I could clearly see a deer at dusk through my binos, but had nothing but a blurry blob through the Trijicons. YMMV.

KenLee

WKR
QUOTE="MikeDeltaFoxtrot, post: 3498875, member: 59116"]
I have two Trijicon Accupower scopes. They are both 3-9x40 with illuminated reticles. I have had several experiences where I could clearly see a deer at dusk through my binos, but had nothing but a blurry blob through the Trijicons. YMMV.
[/QUOTE]
I can understand that with a 40mm scope and really nice binoculars.

Last edited:

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I'd buy a Burris Fullfield IV for
I can understand that with a 40mm scope and really nice binoculars.
Really nice is relative, but the first time I was carrying Leica Trinovid 8x42 binos and the next two it was Swaro EL 10x42's. I don't have this problem with my Swaro or NF scopes, or even my Leupold VX3HD's.

As you say, however, we all have different eyes. I hope the OP finds something in his budget that works for him.

KenLee

WKR
Really nice is relative, but the first time I was carrying Leica Trinovid 8x42 binos and the next two it was Swaro EL 10x42's. I don't have this problem with my Swaro or NF scopes, or even my Leupold VX3HD's.

As you say, however, we all have different eyes. I hope the OP finds something in his budget that works for him.
Yes I'd call those binocs really nice

Ramem7mm

FNG
Option 1 - Stay under your budget and get a decent 3-9x40 and practice with your rifle. Then when your ready to invest in a more expensive scope with dialing capabilities purchase a new scope.

Option 2 - Save for a little longer and watch the threads for a Nightforce SHV that you can pickup for probably under $1,000

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
no direct experience with them, but the reviews and features of Sightron's STACs are compelling enough that I'd like to try one out.