How many pairs of gloves for October?

Poser

WKR
Around and above 11,000 feet. Cold mornings and evenings, frigid nights, often moderate temps during the day. Probably/usually some moisture involved.

How many pairs of different gloves you taking?

—-
I can’t wear heavy gloves when moving. Even when backcountry skiing, I seldom wear more than a thin glove for the uphill. However, sitting still, my hands get cold quickly. As a result, I usually end up taking a couple of different pairs ranging from fingerless merino liners to light fleece to heavy insulated. Sometimes throw in a uninsulated shell glove in their as well. If it’s sustained cold, then add mitts. Also sometimes bring insulated mechanics gloves for breaking down an animal in the cold.

Seems excessive, but I almost always use them all. 3-4 pairs of gloves over the top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madcalfe

WKR
personally id only bring 2 pairs to keep the weight down.
a lighted insulated waterproof pair for hiking in and then a warmer pair for sitting/ glassing.
you can manage the temps or your hands pretty easy if they get hot.

Seeknelk

WKR
I have fairly hot hands also. Usually wear just thin nitrile work gloves while moving. Been using Kuiu guide x gloves lately and like them for general use. But now days I also bring my old,thin snowboard mittens also for glassing or if it gets crazy cold, windy. Some down ones would be nice I suppose. But just those two types cover my needs with the exception of those really wet slushy brush type days. I should really find a pair of waterproof shell gloves. I doubt I would pack all 3-4 unless it was forecasted to get real crappy on a backpack hunt. But if it works for you, it works.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I have fairly hot hands also. Usually wear just thin nitrile work gloves while moving. Been using Kuiu guide x gloves lately and like them for general use. But now days I also bring my old,thin snowboard mittens also for glassing or if it gets crazy cold, windy. Some down ones would be nice I suppose. But just those two types cover my needs with the exception of those really wet slushy brush type days. I should really find a pair of waterproof shell gloves. I doubt I would pack all 3-4 unless it was forecasted to get real crappy on a backpack hunt. But if it works for you, it works.

Yeah the guide gloves are versatile. If you leave the velcro open, they breathe real well. Mine have holes in them at this point, though -kind of kicked down to earlier season duty.

So living in the mountains and doing winter sports like split-boarding means I take a glove/mitt system with me for that and for late hunts too. I don't think you amount of gloves is excessive - its just a layering system for your hands and that is smart imo. Maybe add a spare merino liner just in case?

Also, up high in CO it's snowing now - been watching the ski cams at Arapaho Basin and Loveland...its becoming winter up high and I wouldn't mess around right now with the fickle weather.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Also, up high in CO it's snowing now - been watching the ski cams at Arapaho Basin and Loveland...its becoming winter up high and I wouldn't mess around right now with the fickle weather.

This was just outside silverton this morning:

4f9edaee7258405b2c8d2ae76d54b39c.jpg

OP
P

Poser

WKR
So living in the mountains and doing winter sports like split-boarding means I take a glove/mitt system with me for that and for late hunts too. I don't think you amount of gloves is excessive - its just a layering system for your hands and that is smart imo. Maybe add a spare merino liner just in case?

Hello, fellow splitboarder. I find that an insulated pair of mechanic style gloves with sticky rubber is ideal for changeovers, not dropping your bindings or having your skins stick to your gloves. However, I can’t wear them for any activity as they trap too much moisture. So, I often end up with 3-4 pair of gloves for a split outings as well.

Side note, I’ve been considering switching to hardboots this season, but I also need a new rifle setup and probably can’t swing both since that’s easily $5k total.

Hello, fellow splitboarder. I find that an insulated pair of mechanic style gloves with sticky rubber is ideal for changeovers, not dropping your bindings or having your skins stick to your gloves. However, I can’t wear them for any activity as they trap too much moisture. So, I often end up with 3-4 pair of gloves for a split outings as well.

Side note, I’ve been considering switching to hardboots this season, but I also need a new rifle setup and probably can’t swing both since that’s easily $5k total.
Was eyeballin the Phantom boots and bindings today but so far I am a sinner riding Union Expeditions - they work for me with no issues with the pins (although I have backup pair since they went on the steep sale a while back). I love how they feel riding down and that is what I care about.
I also sin by using the Arbor skins everybody hates...I just keep snow off the sticky side and that keeps em sticky. But after a couple laps I can see why people hate on them...they do get less sticky and you gotta be careful with them.
But not really touring yet so can make this gear work fine for Berthoud, Jones, Loveland laps.

I have a pair of the really light Flylows for the up...the something henry's model or such...leather palm and fabric back of hand. And a whole glove system/quiver in the pack every time out. I actually got frostbite in my hands in the arctic in Norway eons ago on active duty so I don't mess around with freezing anything anymore if I can help it. Thawing out from frostbite is incredibly painful and then that part gets super cold real fast in winter for decades after injury - very not fun and not worth it. Take good care of your hands in the cold.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Was eyeballin the Phantom boots and bindings today but so far I am a sinner riding Union Expeditions - they work for me with no issues with the pins (although I have backup pair since they went on the steep sale a while back). I love how they feel riding down and that is what I care about.
I also sin by using the Arbor skins everybody hates...I just keep snow off the sticky side and that keeps em sticky. But after a couple laps I can see why people hate on them...they do get less sticky and you gotta be careful with them.
But not really touring yet so can make this gear work fine for Berthoud, Jones, Loveland laps.

I have a pair of the really light Flylows for the up...the something henry's model or such...leather palm and fabric back of hand. And a whole glove system/quiver in the pack every time out. I actually got frostbite in my hands in the arctic in Norway eons ago on active duty so I don't mess around with freezing anything anymore if I can help it. Thawing out from frostbite is incredibly painful and then that part gets super cold real fast in winter for decades after injury - very not fun and not worth it. Take good care of your hands in the cold.

Yeah, I was looking at the Phantom setup myself even though they don’t make a size 13. Apparently you can heath mold them a full size up but that’s an expensive experiment. I can get a pro deal on the Atomic Backlands but the $289 link levers for splitting offsets that savings.

I’ve been using the Sparks with Thirty Two Jones MtBs, but can’t keep up with hardbooters so well once things get technical.

Wrench

WKR
My system is simple; rubber coated atlas spandex gloves. Down mittens and OR mitten shells. I can wear any combination of the above or individually. Weight and bulk is pretty minimal and cost is very frugal.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Three.

General purpose liner type glove.

Waterproof dipped type glove from a farm store.

Kinco leather mittens.

KsRancher

WKR
I only carry one pair. It's a thinner non insulated cabelas gloves. Hand get pretty cold when it gets down in the teens. But I can't stand thick puffy gloves.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka traverse gloves work for me into single digits while moving. I put heavy duty nitrile gloves over the sitka gloves when processing an animal. I take warmer hestra gloves with me, but I dont wear them many days. If it going to be below 0, I will take some hot hands.

Also fwiw I found that I don't have to use a tab when shooting with well fitting Kinko's leather gloves - I was surprised by that but I tried it target shooting and they do pretty well. So any archers shooting fingers see if you even need the tab if your gloves fit very well. Maybe that might help somebody wandering across this thread in the future.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Use hand warmers to keep your hands warm.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Around and above 11,000 feet. Cold mornings and evenings, frigid nights, often moderate temps during the day. Probably/usually some moisture involved.

How many pairs of different gloves you taking?

—-
I can’t wear heavy gloves when moving. Even when backcountry skiing, I seldom wear more than a thin glove for the uphill. However, sitting still, my hands get cold quickly. As a result, I usually end up taking a couple of different pairs ranging from fingerless merino liners to light fleece to heavy insulated. Sometimes throw in a uninsulated shell glove in their as well. If it’s sustained cold, then add mitts. Also sometimes bring insulated mechanics gloves for breaking down an animal in the cold.

Seems excessive, but I almost always use them all. 3-4 pairs of gloves over the top?

1 pair I'm not a glove guy and have worked outside in the elements with my hands most of my life. I use the Sitka Jetstream glove I think is the model. Once it gets cold and frostbite is a possibility I switch and use the mountain gloves.

1 pair I'm not a glove guy and have worked outside in the elements with my hands most of my life. I use the Sitka Jetstream glove I think is the model. Once it gets cold and frostbite is a possibility I switch and use the mountain gloves.
Maybe it's the traverse I honestly can't remember.

Marble

WKR
I have several i use.

One thin pair of merino gloves in my pocket/belt pouch. Another in a ziplok in my pack depending on weather.

One pair of mechanics gloves

Kuiu guide gloves

Kuiu mittens for my horse ride in.

Weather dictates what I carry. If it cold and/or wet, I may carry all of them. If it isn't going to be wet for sure then I'll leave extras at the truck/horse.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk