Glove recommendation for early season

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking for something quick drying , wind resistant, maybe a light fleece in side but not insulated, not bulky and durable. So far the Sitka traverse gloves got my attention due to the positive review on their site.

Would love any feedback on those or other gloves before buying.

Also if I missed a review or sticky on this please point me in that direction.

I get very cold hands, so keep that in mind but I found the Traverse gloves pretty useless when it came to adding any warmth especially in the wind. They are even more worthless when they get wet. Unfortunately I can't give you any recommendations for what does work because I haven't found it yet. What currently works fairly well for me is Kuiu Tib gloves and something to put your hands in to warm them up while glassing/still hunting like pockets on a puffy or a hand warming muff.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get very cold hands, so keep that in mind but I found the Traverse gloves pretty useless when it came to adding any warmth especially in the wind. They are even more worthless when they get wet. Unfortunately I can't give you any recommendations for what does work because I haven't found it yet. What currently works fairly well for me is Kuiu Tib gloves and something to put your hands in to warm them up while glassing/still hunting like pockets on a puffy or a hand warming muff.
Thanks, didn't know they had a Tiburon glove. I may go with that and a pair of ski gloves for glassing. I did try a buddies Tiburon pants and liked the durability and not over heating in the material.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Iron Mike

FNG
fng
I use the Tiburon gloves. I bow hunt and when its pretty chilly in the high country late September I use the with the Kuiu merino gloves as a liner. When it warms up I keep on the Merino's and pull off the Tib's. Great system for me. When hunting later in the year I put their Yukon gloves over both.

Gumbo

WKR
I have gone to a pair of cheap ragwool gloves and thin polypro or merino liners for early hunts. They can be worn independently or separate depending on conditions. I also bought a pair of Kuiu Yukon shells to go over them if it gets really wet or cold, although this part hasn't really been put to the test yet. I have found that most of the expensive gloves are too bulky, get too water-logged, and aren't nimble enough for archery hunting (I run completely different gloves during later gun hunts).

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What do you mean by "early season".......early archery, early rifle, archery in general?

I hunt 90% of the archery season using thin cotton jersey gloves, like the Primos ones. That's the only cotton I'll use during hunting season. For when it does get colder in Sept, I have similar gloves that have 40gm's of Thinsulate in them. I don't like any of the other glove options I've tried out there.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you mean by "early season".......early archery, early rifle, archery in general?

I hunt 90% of the archery season using thin cotton jersey gloves, like the Primos ones. That's the only cotton I'll use during hunting season. For when it does get colder in Sept, I have similar gloves that have 40gm's of Thinsulate in them. I don't like any of the other glove options I've tried out there.
Sorry, should have elaborated. September Archery in Colorado. Usually around 8000ft dense forest. Mornings can be cold but usually mild to hot conditions. Main use is hand concealment and to not feel the chill of a cold bow in hand.

jmden

WKR
Check out the Outdoor Research(OR) VersaLiner: http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/23528/s/mens-versaliner/category/2206/

It has a small zippered pocket on the back of the hand that stores a 'shell' that's windproof and water resistant that can be used when needed. Very versatile because of this. If a little colder, I'll add another super thin pair of liners that can go on first before putting the VersaLiner on that seem to help keep the hands warmer yet. For November elk, I'll use this system and then pack a pair of OR mountaineering overmitts to put over the top of the VersaLiner if need be.

Been eyeing those Kuiu Down mitts too though for later season...

Tiburon with merino liners. Have a pair of mechanix too but I like the tiburons. My wife got them for me for xmas. normally didn't wear gloves in CO in sept, but used these this year for the walk in or early morning. It was really nice. They are super comfortable.. For $80 they better be.

They are designed to layer, so you can add on top of them for later seasons.

I love the tiburon pants and shirt. They are my favorite for sure. But I didnt care for the gloves. Just not what I was after. If your looking for just durable coverage then I dont think this is it. They have some bulk to them. Much more than the traverse in my opinion. I like UA liner gloves for the early season stuff.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love the tiburon pants and shirt. They are my favorite for sure. But I didnt care for the gloves. Just not what I was after. If your looking for just durable coverage then I dont think this is it. They have some bulk to them. Much more than the traverse in my opinion. I like UA liner gloves for the early season stuff.
Ua gloves made from same material as their base layers? I've sworn away from ua base layers for hunting because my sweat would bring out a strong chemical odor in their material. And the cooling factor was too much causing an instant chill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JDZ

WKR
I've had a good experience with my Sitka Traverse gloves so far. They maybe haven't been completely put to the test, but they have become my go-to archery glove. I've used them in active and sitting situations. If I'm hiking, I usually wear them in the morning until I get warmed up. Then I'll shove them in my pocket until I stop, and then I put them on again. I used to use Mechanix Fast Fit, but if the palm gets wet, it takes forever to dry.

KMT

WKR
I use the same glove for Colorado archery, pheasant, and duck hunting.

My favorite gloves were $10 fleece wind cutter gloves from Eddie Bauer. They don't make that glove anymore. I lost them and went "big" with Sitka jetstream gloves. They were junk and fell apart after 3-4 days. Sitka sent me the stratus glove for free, which seems to be a better glove. But I haven't put it through the ringer.

Kotaman

WKR
Yes, the Sitka Travers glove would fit your needs. In fact that's exactly how I use mine. They aren't the warmest glove and by no means waterproof, but for a glove that takes the "edge off", and conceals your hands, they work. Sitka also has some great new gloves coming in June.

Dameon

WKR
Has anyone tried the First Lite soft-shell shell shooting 2.0 or the First Lite Shale Hybrid gloves? I am the same as the OP and would like to find some durable gloves good for rifle elk hunting in Utah most likely in October.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried the First Lite soft-shell shell shooting 2.0 or the First Lite Shale Hybrid gloves? I am the same as the OP and would like to find some durable gloves good for rifle elk hunting in Utah most likely in October.

I have the soft shell shooting glove. Nice glove, but too bulky for archery IMO and too warm for early season. I've been thinking about trying the Shale. I have the FL merino and fingerless. Nice options but no grip at all.

LET'S GO BLUES!!!

I hunt archery elk in Colorado as well. My glove setup is the Kuiu Guide Glove in the morning till I take my Jacket off/gets warmer. When I do that I switch to the Kuiu Tiburon Glove.

Jimbo V

WKR
Simms fingerless wool gloves daily thenKuiu guide gloves if it gets too cold for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk