Not another puffy question...

I am apparently a gear whore.

Now that we have that out of the way,

What really matters in a puffy?

I have been doing a ton of digging to understand fill, insulation types and shell materials.

I have an Amazon brand puffy. I really like it for the 22$ I got it on sale for. The fit is OK, it's a big huge in the body. It's surprisingly warm (but not having any experience with a higher end puffy it might not be as warm as something else) it's even kinda wind resistant.
It's decently quiet unless its super cold (I have shot 5 or 6 deer in it, and it generally doesn't do anything great or poorly.

However, I have this strong desire to upgrade for no other reason than I really want to.

I am looking at a few options.

Sitka Celsius Midi-
Eddie Bauer cirrus lite hooded
Sitka aerolite hooded
Sitka kelvin lite down

I can't quite figure out what really matters in a puffy. Here is what I want the puffy to be able to do-

I want a packable puffy that I can take elk hunting so I can glass, wear it to bed at night to stay warm and wear first thing in the morning because I'm turning into a freeze baby.

I want a puffy that I can take deer and turkey hunting that isn't so loud that it will spook deer on a calm cold morning. I can wear it under a quiet fleece or shell too, so I guess this isn't my #1 priority.

Camo is unimportant to me in a puffy. If it's camo, amazing. If it's earth tone, amazing. If it's blue or bright yellow, I'm out. Lol

Dwr might be nice to have to slick light precip off.

Price is relatively unimportant to me in this case. I'd love to buy it on sale if possible but if it's something that I will love, I will pay for quality and dependability.

I want something durable enough to not need to be super careful. I'm not gonna wear it busting brush, but I use my gear. This cheap one has held up so far.

Having never owned anything down except my sleeping bag... is down the way to go or is synthetic better for my use?

Is there one puffy that will meet my needs, or am I stuck with a two puffy (or 3 let's be serious I'll end up buying a vest too I'm sure) system for early/ mid season and one for cold cold?

Are expensive puffy jackets really that much warmer? Am I missing out by not having a better puffy?

I have read through a bunch of forums here and Google it to the point where now all the ads on my phone are for puffy jackets...

Help me figure out what I really need

Bluumoon

WKR
I too don't like to be cold. Picked up a Rab puffy with 10oz of 850 fill. Price was around $300, if nothing else it is warm and light. Fabric is fairly quiet, can't speak to durability yet.

OP
E
I too don't like to be cold. Picked up a Rab puffy with 10oz of 850 fill. Price was around $300, if nothing else it is warm and light. Fabric is fairly quiet, can't speak to durability yet.
Do you have anything to compare to directly? I'm currently sitting in my office in my puffy thinking about elk hunting like a complete psycho.

The only way to compare puffy jackets is the specifications. Higher fill power and higher fill weight will be warmer than lower numbers. If you're cold blooded, you want lots of high fill power down. If you're warm blooded you can get away with less.

Then look at weight, budget, expected temps and buy the one you need.

jd1006

WKR
The more expensive you get the lighter the weight for the warmth. That’s basically how it works for puffies. The best deal out there…a discounted Kelvin WS Hoodie. That’s the warmest puffy for the cheapest price. It is a pretty heavy puffy and it is loud.

The sweet spot seems to be a discounted Kelvin Down Puffy.

The quietest…Kenai (I think the SG Cirque might be, but I haven’t seen that jacket).

OP
E
The only way to compare puffy jackets is the specifications. Higher fill power and higher fill weight will be warmer than lower numbers. If you're cold blooded, you want lots of high fill power down. If you're warm blooded you can get away with less.

Then look at weight, budget, expected temps and buy the one you need.
That was what I had found online, but given the difference between down and synthetic is there a way to determine rough equivalents?

Does the shell type help retain more warmth?

I only use synthetic if I think it's going to be wet and not very cold. I use down when I expect mostly dry, very cold weather.

I think a tighter/heavier outer fabric helps in the wind, as does Sitka's WS. A hard shell over a puffy is also a step up in warmth and wind blocking when it's really cold.

OP
E
The more expensive you get the lighter the weight for the warmth. That’s basically how it works for puffies. The best deal out there…a discounted Kelvin WS Hoodie. That’s the warmest puffy for the cheapest price. It is a pretty heavy puffy and it is loud.

The sweet spot seems to be a discounted Kelvin Down Puffy.

The quietest…Kenai (I think the SG Cirque might be, but I haven’t seen that jacket).

I only use synthetic if I think it's going to be wet and not very cold. I use down when I expect mostly dry, very cold weather.

I think a tighter/heavier outer fabric helps in the wind, as does Sitka's WS. A hard shell over a puffy is also a step up in warmth and wind blocking when it's really cold.
See now that is exactly the Information I am looking for! Thank you!

OP
E

Super helpful! Thank you a ton. Do you have personal experience with the WS?
If not, what do you have for a puffy?

I have the WS and I really like it. Also really like the First Lite Chamberlin. Had the SG Grumman,Kifaru LPP, FL Umcompagre and KUIU Kenai and they weren't warm enough for me but I'm very cold blooded. I have the SG Cirque for the times I want to use synthetic.

Bluumoon

WKR
Nothing in the same ball park. I have an old puffy that has a lower quality puffy
Do you have anything to compare to directly? I'm currently sitting in my office in my puffy thinking about elk hunting like a complete psycho.
I have a cheap down puffy that isn't in the same class warmth wise and a huge down fjallraven parka that has a canvas outer shell, the parka is warmer and quieter, but isn't something I'd want to pack around. Check out Western Mountaineering Ion Parka if you have some extra funds, down with a Gortex shell.

Super helpful! Thank you a ton. Do you have personal experience with the WS?
If not, what do you have for a puffy?
I purchased the Kelvin WS puffy and the First Lite Chamberlain this spring. The fabric of the WS felt a little more robust, but it was also almost 7 oz heavier and louder. I wasn't able to get them out below about 35° but they felt equal in warmth at that temp. I also disliked the hood of the WS. I ended up keeping the Chamberlain, though durability is my one concern with it.

Bump79

WKR
The Eddie Bauer is really great for the price. Sizing was a little off for me i had to get a Medium Tall and typically a large or XL.

The Decathlon down and synthetic are supposed to be great too. I just got have the synthetic but yet to try it. Looks pretty sweet though for $56

OP
E
I have the WS and I really like it. Also really like the First Lite Chamberlin. Had the SG Grumman,Kifaru LPP, FL Umcompagre and KUIU Kenai and they weren't warm enough for me but I'm very cold blooded. I have the SG Cirque for the times I want to use synthetic.
So if you could only have one.... WS?

OP
E
The Eddie Bauer is really great for the price. Sizing was a little off for me i had to get a Medium Tall and typically a large or XL.

The Decathlon down and synthetic are supposed to be great too. I just got have the synthetic but yet to try it. Looks pretty sweet though for $56
Oh man, I hadn't heard that. Super big? I'm normally a large or xl... would it be best to go large?

OP
E
Nothing in the same ball park. I have an old puffy that has a lower quality puffy

I have a cheap down puffy that isn't in the same class warmth wise and a huge down fjallraven parka that has a canvas outer shell, the parka is warmer and quieter, but isn't something I'd want to pack around. Check out Western Mountaineering Ion Parka if you have some extra funds, down with a Gortex shell.
Thank you! I will check it out for sure!