Glock 20 modifications for backcountry carry

Any big advantage in penetration with the 220 or 230 over the 200gr Double Tap hardcast? Their factory specs show 1300fps and 750lbs of energy from a Glock 20. If there isn't a reason to go heavier these might be a simple option.

Not really. You start to sacrifice a lot of speed. 200 seems to be about the right weight and the Double Tap bullet design and meplat diameter are as good as it gets for 10mm hardcast bullets. Haven’t shot Underwood’s newest offering and the Buffalo bore hardcast bullet design isn’t on the same level as the double tap or beartooth which they copied. 406 ammunition also has a 200 grain hardcast load I’ve been shooting a little and that bullet looks about the same. The 230 double tap will tumble from a stock barrel.

Double tap really doesn’t chrony at their stated velocities.

Here’s a YouTube video of someone doing chrony work with double tap.

I’ve found that Underwood’s stuff is close on speed on my own chrony.

Wrench

WKR
I can tell you that 1250 over my chrony is all you'll want to shoot. I have lots of nasty pistols...329pd, 460, xp's....etc and that is right where the glock starts to bite really hard.

1170 from a G40 with a 6" barrel is a clue. I cut my 20 at 5.25".

Double tap really doesn’t chrony at their stated velocities.

Here’s a YouTube video of someone doing chrony work with double tap.

I’ve found that Underwood’s stuff is close on speed on my own chrony.

Post #13 I said double tap won’t hit the advertised velocity and that doesn’t matter to me because a better bullet design outweighs a little extra velocity. Underwood has been close on velocity for me as well but cases also split pretty often and that is living a little close to the edge for me with autoloaded factory ammo that could easily get a little out of tolerance.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I split a few cases of all sorts of hot hard cast Ammo, since switching to a KKM barrel that actually encases the entire shell I haven’t had a single crack or bulge. You can argue until the cows come home about aftermarket barrels, accuracy, leading but for me the full case support speaks for itself.

If I take both barrels, hold them upright and drop a love round onto each, there’s a significant amount of unsupported case in the factory barrel, not so much in my KKM.

Rob5589

WKR
I split a few cases of all sorts of hot hard cast Ammo, since switching to a KKM barrel that actually encases the entire shell I haven’t had a single crack or bulge. You can argue until the cows come home about aftermarket barrels, accuracy, leading but for me the full case support speaks for itself.

If I take both barrels, hold them upright and drop a love round onto each, there’s a significant amount of unsupported case in the factory barrel, not so much in my KKM.

Any feeding issues with the KKM? I don't really want to swap barrels unless I need to. But it will be seeing mostly hard cast stuff like UW/BB, so...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Any feeding issues with the KKM? I don't really want to swap barrels unless I need to. But it will be seeing mostly hard cast stuff like UW/BB, so...

Absolutely none, not a single issue and I put roughly 800 rounds of random range Ammo through it as well as a few boxes each of Buffalo bore and underwood. I have 100% confidence in that barrel.

That being said, I had a lone wolf for a few days, it actually locked shut with a round chambered in it, it jammed every other round as well. When I called them they were like “oh yeah we know they do that, send it in we’ll fix it”......nope, if you know they do that then fix them before you send them out. I got my $$$ back and went with a KKM, more expensive but easily the top of the line.

Apparently the lone wolf barrels were manufactured wrong, and took a bit of grinding to get them right, Leon wolf didn’t want to grind first because it takes some of the finish off.....so they decided to sell them as is and offer to repair ones that didn’t work. F that and F lone wolf, I’ll never by anything made by them, they are a worhless fly by night company that lacks morals or QC.

I am a big fan of stippling the grip. I always had a hard time getting a full positive grip around the full frame model 20, which is partly why I favored the 29, but after trying a 20 with a stippled grip that someone offered in a trade, I loved it. I think no matter how wet or dirty the grip or my hand got, I have full confidence in the positive grip.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am a big fan of stippling the grip. I always had a hard time getting a full positive grip around the full frame model 20, which is partly why I favored the 29, but after trying a 20 with a stippled grip that someone offered in a trade, I loved it. I think no matter how wet or dirty the grip or my hand got, I have full confidence in the positive grip.

I used to feel the same with my gen3 Glock 20 but after switching to a gen4 and leaving the nackstrap off it’s perfect. The gen4 has much better grip than the gen3 models.

My gen 3 is pretty much retired or a bedside gun now and the 2 gen4 models I have see all the holster time.

@doverpack12, where were the cases splitting? How often? Thanks, I was looking at the UW 200 grain for mine.

They split anywhere from the bulge area all the way up to the rim. I'll have to count how many the next time I'm in my reloading location. If I think of it I'll snap a picture too. I contacted Underwood when it first happened and they offered to buy them back and send me another box. I elected to just shoot them up.

Fatcamp

WKR
They split anywhere from the bulge area all the way up to the rim. I'll have to count how many the next time I'm in my reloading location. If I think of it I'll snap a picture too. I contacted Underwood when it first happened and they offered to buy them back and send me another box. I elected to just shoot them up.

Did you have reliability issues with the factory barrel? If so, what type?

deadwolf

WKR
So do you have first hand experience with malfunctions in factory G20 pistols? And if so, what type of malfunction and how did you fix it?

The only “malfunction” I’ve had in a Glock pistol is the occasional random “stovepipe”, or even more uncommon, a failure to fire, which I attributed to the cheap ammo I was shooting through my 19.

What I have seen personally, though not in my G20, was plenty of split cases, and less than perfect cycling when shooting 200gr or better with a stock guide rod and spring set up. I didn’t see any of this with my personal setup, because I swapped for a KKM barrel and heavier spring from the get go after watching this happen to two different friends. Secondly, I have a coworker friend who teaches shotgun and pistol classes for bear defense and he relayed to me he’s seen the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
The only “malfunction” I’ve had in a Glock pistol is the occasional random “stovepipe”, or even more uncommon, a failure to fire, which I attributed to the cheap ammo I was shooting through my 19.

What I have seen personally, though not in my G20, was plenty of split cases, and less than perfect cycling when shooting 200gr or better with a stock guide rod and spring set up. I didn’t see any of this with my personal setup, because I swapped for a KKM barrel and heavier spring from the get go after watching this happen to two different friends. Secondly, I have a coworker friend who teaches shotgun and pistol classes for bear defense and he relayed to me he’s seen the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. My experience with 10mm is minimal. First hand issues with malfunctions are hard to come up with. At this point, I think a stiffer recoil spring may be in order, but most malfunctions I see with all pistols is due to a weak grip.
A G20 is going to be my graduation present to myself in December, so I'll know soon enough. I use weaker recoil springs in my competition guns, so a stiffer one for heavy loads makes sense.

Wrench

WKR
Interesting. My experience with 10mm is minimal. First hand issues with malfunctions are hard to come up with. At this point, I think a stiffer recoil spring may be in order, but most malfunctions I see with all pistols is due to a weak grip.
A G20 is going to be my graduation present to myself in December, so I'll know soon enough. I use weaker recoil springs in my competition guns, so a stiffer one for heavy loads makes sense.

Fair warning 22# is about as much as you can get away with before you need to go heavy on your mag springs. The slide will be moving too fast to pick up a round.

Rob5589

WKR
Somewhat concerning but even moreso kind of disappointing. Any 10mm should be able to handle a 200 @ 1200 since that is the true origin of the round. I could see a spring change, maybe, but not a barrel. But then again, Glock is well known for the "lack" of case support. Guess I will find out myself here in a couple weeks.

Did you have reliability issues with the factory barrel? If so, what type?

Nope not one reliability issue which is the whole reason the carry a glock in 10mm because I neglect it and it still shoots when I want or need it to.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a Glock, replace the sights and nothing else. If you want a fancy gun, get a fancy gun. I have 7500 rounds through my Gen4 G19 and almost 1k through my Gen4 G20. Get TFX Pros and leave everything else the way Gaston intended, it won’t do you wrong.

Rob5589

WKR
It’s a Glock, replace the sights and nothing else. If you want a fancy gun, get a fancy gun. I have 7500 rounds through my Gen4 G19 and almost 1k through my Gen4 G20. Get TFX Pros and leave everything else the way Gaston intended, it won’t do you wrong.

What is the predominant ammo through the 20?