Glassing setups

I'd like to see a 10x50 as well. The GPO are supposed to be really good, but I'm not super motivated to try them.

Why do you need a 50 for your glasses?
I don't know much about binos but it may be exit pupil? If I want to keep my glasses on, I can't see the full image of a 10x42 for some reason. The 10x50s let me see the full image which I like.

4th_point

WKR
I think that you are referring to eye relief, as that is a consideration for me if I wear spectacles instead of contact lenses.

The claimed eye relief can be misleading sometimes because companies seem to list the distance from the ocular, but the lens can be heavily recessed due to chunky eyecup rims.

I think that you are referring to eye relief, as that is a consideration for me if I wear spectacles instead of contact lenses.

The claimed eye relief can be misleading sometimes because companies seem to list the distance from the ocular, but the lens can be heavily recessed due to chunky eyecup rims.
I've looked through 10x42 ELs before and confirmed they aren't optimal for my vision situation. I'm sure they work for 99.9% of people my eyes are just weird.

4th_point

WKR
JJ,

I was wondering if your particular eyeballs were part of explanation. That's why I was cautious to say that it's just eye relief. Maybe there's some other misalignment.

I'll send you a PM, to keep from cluttering Mr. Avery's gear thread.

Take care,

Jason

Current Setup:
Zeiss Victory RF 10x42
Kowa 554
Slik 634
Davros Pro Head

Zeiss were new this season and a huge upgrade from my Sigs.

Davros head is super convenient for switching between binos, spotter and rifle.

Next Upgrade: looking for a Swarovski STC (just missed a killer deal in the classifieds, but its next on the upgrade list)

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Always seems to be evolving, but currently:

Swaro EL SV 8.5x42
Kowa 554 or 773
Slik 632
Tricer LP

Also Meopta 15x56 when needed.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Kowa genesis 10.5x44 / Kowa 774 25-60wa

Two different tripods. Backpacking: sirui 124 with tricer panhead. Then a big slik tripod with shv head for the pickup glassing.

I would really like to look through the Swarovski stc though.

4th_point

WKR
I can never decide!

Except for one...

Binocs - various 8x, 10x
Scope - various 50mm, 60mm, 82mm
Tripod - various, depending on above
Head - various, Spartan or ARCA
Other - camera(s)
The one constant - 15x50 Canon

Binos: 12x42 NL Pure or 8x32 EL
Spotter : Meopta S2 30-60X WA
Tripod: RRS Ascend

The binos swap out depending on the hunt but 12x have got the nod the last 2 years.

The spotter is beautiful but heavy. I keep debating about going to a smaller spotter but I think I’d miss the big girl every time I looked through a compact.

The tripod is way overpriced but has all the features I wanted. I wish it had just a little bit more range of motion with the head but so far it’s a fantastic piece of gear.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
10x42 SLC
Swaro 65 ATX (plan to move to the STC)
Outdoorsman compact tripod
Outdoorsmen Pan head

Real reason I am posting. How is that STC????
I really like it. I do give up a few minutes to the STS. But unless I’m scouting those minutes aren’t that crucial to me when hunting elk.

The STC crushes the Kowa 553 in low light conditions.

I grab whatever combination makes the most sense:
  • Swarovski SLC 10x42
  • Swarovski SLC 15x56
  • Swarovski STX - 65 and 95
  • Kowa 554
  • Manfrotto 290 XTRA CF with Jim White 2.0
  • Slik 635 CF with Jim White 2.0

I really like it. I do give up a few minutes to the STS. But unless I’m scouting those minutes aren’t that crucial to me when hunting elk.

The STC crushes the Kowa 553 in low light conditions.
Crushes? Damn, those kind of words lead to expensive upgrades.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Crushes? Damn, those kind of words lead to expensive upgrades.
IMO.... Crush!

But! Matt saw them as equals in his review. So, did I get a really good version of the STC and a bad version of the 553? I've had two ATX 95 side by side that were night and day different on a resolution chart...

Last edited:
IMO.... Crush!

But! Matt saw them as equals in his review. So, did I get a really good version of the STC and a bad version of the 553? I've had two ATX 95 side by side that were night and day different on a resolution chart...

Just the additional FOV on the STC would make it a much better general purpose scope. The kowa has good resolution for what it is, but sucks to use for actual glassing with that narrow FOV.

Bino is hunt depending based off glassing needs:
8x42 NL
12x42 NL with outdoorsman stud
Sig Kilo 8k RF

65mm ATX for mountain hunts, thinking of switching to an 85mm objective

Sirui ST-1204 / VA-5 Head. I see no reason to switch this, it works for what I do.

Last edited:

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Will pick and choose depending on the outing.

Swaro 8.5x42 EL SV (these always come along)
Swaro 15x56
Swaro ATX with either 65 or 95
Leupold 12-40x60 HD but rarely used these days
Manfrotto 190 carbon with 128 fluid head (had this for over ten years using the heck out of it and still going great but it’s big and heavy)
Slik 733 with Sirui VA-5

Only change would be considering NL 12s and/or dual STC with the Adams Adapter. NL would be great for AK hunts and the STC setup for desert hunts at home.

CCooper

WKR
El Range 10x42-( just sold and bought the Revic’s)
STX 85
RRS 34L with RRS pan head and Anvil 30

Not the lightest setup, but I will trim weight elsewhere. Excited to give the Revic’s a try and ditch the BR4.