Giardia

robie

WKR
I'm curious who all out there has had it. Was hunting in Colorado a couple weeks ago and most likely got it.

I had no clue but the test to prove that is what you have are inconclusive and involve 3 separate stool samples and take a week to get the results. My Doctor said he has had to many come back negative and then had the 5 or 6 finally come back positive that now he just treats if it is a possibility.

For those that haven't had it, it is terrible and doesn't go away quickly. Mine started 9/17, I began meds 9/20 and finally feel good today 9/27. I thought I was doing fine this weekend but that didn't last.

We filtered all of our water with a Sawyer Squeeze. My only concern that it froze every night, I put it inside some layers in my pack but on Sawyer's website their only suggestion is to replace it if you think it froze?

I'm thinking about just switching to the Steripen going forward.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Mine started 9/17, I began meds 9/20 and finally feel good today 9/27. I thought I was doing fine this weekend but that didn't last.

Your joys are just starting. Took me about 7 years before I was back to what I would consider "normal". And I never did have a "positive" test.

That's why I've never owned a filter. There's just no way to know if it's actually working. If I hunted the SW and/or was drinking skanky water I'd filter just to clean it up a bit but would still use another treatment method, probably boiling, to actually purify the water. I just simply don't consider pumps a stand alone purification method.

Good Luck! I've never gotten it but know a few who have and they'd agree with 5MB. It's a nasty little bugger.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got it in '05 Beaver trapping. I was told I likely had colon cancer and all kinds of stuff. Finally saw a different doc and told him to treat me for it, as I was a beaver trapper. He started me on meds while waiting for results. Back to normal in a week and been fine since. Keep your Saywer in a sleeping bag, really the only safe way.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Your joys are just starting. Took me about 7 years before I was back to what I would consider "normal". And I never did have a "positive" test.

7 Years WTF? What all meds did you go through?

I'm considering a juice cleans, I have no clue if it will help but I've heard it can take a while for your small intestine to heal itself once its rid of the bacteria. I've also read about people getting on prilosec.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
That's why I've never owned a filter. There's just no way to know if it's actually working. If I hunted the SW and/or was drinking skanky water I'd filter just to clean it up a bit but would still use another treatment method, probably boiling, to actually purify the water. I just simply don't consider pumps a stand alone purification method.

Good Luck! I've never gotten it but know a few who have and they'd agree with 5MB. It's a nasty little bugger.

After this experience I'm going to a dual method. I was thinking the sawyer and a steripen. Just not worth going through this again.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had it twice and it lasted for about 10 days. Not fun whatsoever. And the ironic thing was that the last time I got it was from a small mountain river near a town that I had to drink from as I was out running and ran out of water.
I have never used water filters in the backcountry and done fine.

Randy

tstowater

WKR
Got "beaver fever" on a moose hunt in BC 12 years ago. Nasty stuff. Antibiotics did not work for me. Fortunately found a lady that is quite good with homeopaths and herbals and that solved the problem. In the process of taking too many antibiotics, my "good bacteria" got screwed up and that really messes with your immune system. Took about a year to get everything back to normal. Didn't keep me from drinking out of the streams in BC or Alaska. Just became more careful where I sourced the water and haven't had anymore problems. Wife thinks I'm crazy after enduring it the last time. I have all the toys for water filtration and pills and steripen, pretty much "you name it".

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Got "beaver fever" on a moose hunt in BC 12 years ago. Nasty stuff. Antibiotics did not work for me. Fortunately found a lady that is quite good with homeopaths and herbals and that solved the problem. In the process of taking too many antibiotics, my "good bacteria" got screwed up and that really messes with your immune system. Took about a year to get everything back to normal. Didn't keep me from drinking out of the streams in BC or Alaska. Just became more careful where I sourced the water and haven't had anymore problems. Wife thinks I'm crazy after enduring it the last time. I have all the toys for water filtration and pills and steripen, pretty much "you name it".

I've read a few horror stories like yours of it taking people to get right after the destruction to their intestines. I'm praying that I don't have that issue.

Right. That is a given.

The issue is there is no way to test. Sawyer's solution is to buy another one if you think it might have frozen.

The only filter that won't freeze break is the MSR gaurdian, it's expensive and heavy but it filters really quickly.

KMBH

FNG
A trip to China in 2006 left my system screwed up for a year or so. Never did test positive for anything but stuff was not "right".

Oh no. I just got back from 2.5 weeks in China Friday and my digestive system is screwed. Did not start until half way through the flight home. I am hoping it was the airline meal.

Oh no. I just got back from 2.5 weeks in China Friday and my digestive system is screwed. Did not start until half way through the flight home. I am hoping it was the airline meal.

Pay attention to that and get checked out. I ended up with amoebic dysentery when in Turkey. Bad stuff. A friend got his experience in China. Neither of us enjoyed it.

I'm surprised there's very little mention of msr aquatabs on here.
I use a sawyer and just filter if I'm collecting water from a clean looking mountain stream. But if I'm collecting water from anywhere with livestock and wrigglers I filter and treat with a aquatab. They weigh next to nothing, and I notice no taste at all. I also don't have to worry about batteries running out.

desertcj

WKR
My cousin had some tablets that we used once. I can't stand the taste. It was like drinking pool water to me.