Gear versus Go

Never sacrifice go for gear unless gear limits go.

Get the best you can afford. If you pay cash, you'll know what you can afford.

Loved the pic 2rocky

Haha...For the record...some of the best gear I've bought has went on the Credit Card ;)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha...For the record...some of the best gear I've bought has went on the Credit Card ;)

All our gear (and pretty much everything else!) goes on the Ak Airlines Visa, but we pay it off every month. The mileage we accrue let's us fly lots of cool places to hunt, hike or just vacation. I can't remember the last time we purchased a ticket outright without using mileage or the $100 companion fare.

Agree with Robby's sentiment though, never sacrifice go for gear, and if you couldn't afford to buy it with cash, you can't afford to charge it!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Living in the Midwest keeps me on google earth during the summer. But staying here and focusing on my business now lets me spend all fall where ever I want. No kids and a really cool girl helps. Gear? Gear is good. Choices I made to start my business here in Michigan are my anchor.

Last year, my "go" got canceled early in the year. A very bitter pill to swallow, but a necessary sacrifice for the future. My already difficult work schedule got amped up from stupid to WTF?!? I started cruising the classifieds here, discount sites etc. Grabbing lunch or dinner at work, I'd check for deals. I'd use my phone when stuck in traffic waiting for a train, delayed by a customer and on hold for five minutes, even when dropping a deuce. I was going to upgrade gear if I was stuck in a hunting time-out.

Each month I'd have a paltry budget. Big ticket items combined months. But I've been able to replace some pretty beat up and worn gear. First time I've ever had multiple new pieces of gear. I'm pumped for the individual items and the benefit they'll provide over the stuff they replaced.

But I feel a little weird about the combined new stuff and new to me stuff. No bloodstains. No mudstains. No scuffs. No frays. No smashed bug remains. It feels weird. I'm a little self-conscious.

Go definitely trumps gear.

a3dhunter

WKR
Plenty of "stuff" I would like to buy, but I enjoy the mountains too much to stay at home. I've been guilty of making too many trips and putting us in the poor house rather than stay home and save.
I don't want to get to the later years and wish I had done more at this age.

I hope you are never forced to make a decision to put off a trip. It sucks. But you can't always be in a peach orchard. I just gotta suck it up and move on. This fall is a new world. I've earned this coming season like no other.

And though it's a small verbal distinction, I did not end up staying home because I bought chit. I bought chit because I ended up staying home.

Gear is great and all and I'm guilty of being a gear nut from time to time but you can't kill anything if your not out hunting.

PA 5-0

WKR
Last year, my "go" got canceled early in the year. A very bitter pill to swallow, but a necessary sacrifice for the future. My already difficult work schedule got amped up from stupid to WTF?!? I started cruising the classifieds here, discount sites etc. Grabbing lunch or dinner at work, I'd check for deals. I'd use my phone when stuck in traffic waiting for a train, delayed by a customer and on hold for five minutes, even when dropping a deuce. I was going to upgrade gear if I was stuck in a hunting time-out.

Each month I'd have a paltry budget. Big ticket items combined months. But I've been able to replace some pretty beat up and worn gear. First time I've ever had multiple new pieces of gear. I'm pumped for the individual items and the benefit they'll provide over the stuff they replaced.

But I feel a little weird about the combined new stuff and new to me stuff. No bloodstains. No mudstains. No scuffs. No frays. No smashed bug remains. It feels weird. I'm a little self-conscious.

Go definitely trumps gear.

Great post and I hear ya. With 2 jobs and 4 kids, I literally have felt your pain. Its easy to sit back and say money/work are not important, but they are pretty f'in important when u have 3 chics in the nest and 1 on the way. Good news is as long as animals walk our forests, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

And gear shopping does ease the pain when you're anchored.

Good luck this Fall.
Dan

Thanks, Dan. Three kids here expecting me to not drop the ball. My hat is off to you. I think one more would be the end of me.

I'm getting closer. I can taste it.