Do you 'test-drive' your new gear before the season?

I kinda just ball out and find out the hard way if something doesn’t work. Not the best solution but at the same time life is busy at the moment. That being said I give myself back up solutions in the form of extra gear in the truck if it’s something crucial. This is also the advice of a young man who still has a lot of learning to do.

That being said stay tuned for my “Lessons Learned” post at the end of the season lol.

Last edited:
Absolutely all the time. Anytime a new, different, or modified piece of gear is inserted into the kit, it gets tested pre-season. It should go without saying, but the first time you use something shouldn't be when you need it.

Do I look silly walking around my neighborhood in gym shorts, OTC wool socks and Kenetrek Mountain Extremes in the middle of July? Yes. Will I do it again? Also yes. :p

Without a doubt! Any new gear upgrades or food gets a "dry run or shake out" during pre-season scouting. I've learned the hard way. Make sure you un-wrap that latest and greatest new shiny object or taste test that savory looking dehydrated "stuff" pre-season. Not when is "game on" and the focus is to get an elk or deer on the ground.

Who else ‘test-drives’ food or gear before their hunt? I’m testing one of the most important things on a hunt. Coffee ☕️. The left photo is a prototype from a local coffee company. I’ll post the name when I can. The other one is a GSI 'ultralight java drip'. Overall, I liked the reusable option better. It gives me more flexibility when choosing the coffee brand I want. It claims to nest under a fuel can. I haven’t checked. Without a doubt, I will still buy the pre-made packets for the hectic hunting morning, and also have the re-usable one for when there's more time in the day to brew a cup of coffee,
View attachment 750107
a few years ago when I started elk hunting in CO, I was planning on hiking in, and camping all over the mountains during 2nd rifle season. I bought a Big Agnes bivy, and a Kelty 0deg bag. We got hit with some snow, and 10deg weather in OH during Feb, so I set it up in our yard, and slept in it one night. I was toasty, lol. I've also tried some freeze dried foods before going. I bought new First Lite Omen Stormshelter raingear that I plan on testing the next time we get a good downpour.

Who else ‘test-drives’ food or gear before their hunt? I’m testing one of the most important things on a hunt. Coffee ☕️. The left photo is a prototype from a local coffee company. I’ll post the name when I can. The other one is a GSI 'ultralight java drip'. Overall, I liked the reusable option better. It gives me more flexibility when choosing the coffee brand I want. It claims to nest under a fuel can. I haven’t checked. Without a doubt, I will still buy the pre-made packets for the hectic hunting morning, and also have the re-usable one for when there's more time in the day to brew a cup of coffee,
View attachment 750107
I always test drive my gear. Better for it to happen at the house then in the field.

I've used pretty much all of my gear a few times over the years and this years sheep hunt I tried not to buy anything new and just use what I knew was gonna work

yup- :)

DodExug.jpg

Definitely my boots. I've worn them this past year deer hunting and also wear them while pack training. Speaking of which I have a new EXO K4 and have been wearing it a few time with weight in it to work out any possible kinks. No issues so far. Other stuff I bring is used throughout the year so no specific testing just regular use.

Back