Gear versus Go

tater

WKR
I had an interesting conversation with a young hunter the other day, and it got me reflecting on the hard reality that a lot of hunters face, the limits of cash and time.

This time of year finds a lot of us gathering/upgrading gear for the fall, but i wonder if the time and money spent focusing on gear costs some of us time out in the field doing real "boots on the ground" scouting work? You know, those extra dollars for the that tank of gas to get to a new area to get out and scout. The long distance phone bill to talk to some biologists about an area. Other real costs for the prep.

Do we sometimes sacrifice the "go" in favour of the gear?

JWP58

WKR
Living only a couple of hours away helps. BUT with that said, once July comes around if I don't own it, it will have to wait until after hunting season. I'll use my spending money from then on out for gas and food for hunting trips (big game and birds).

p.s. I did choose my hunting rig specifically for its low maintenance cost and mpg (regular cab 4cyl Tacoma 4wd)

Grundy53

WKR
Great question. My answer for me is probably yes. I do however think it is a person to person thing. A lot can probably swing both while a lot can't.

When I was in my 20s and had to make that choice I made sure I could go and just deal with the gear I had. Then slowly built up gear year to year. Gear is worthless if it just sits on the shelf.

2rocky

WKR
I look at this picture before I purchase new gear....

chilcootcharley_zpsc959675a.jpg

But in all seriousness, even in our everyday lives balancing operations expenses with Capital expenditures is a battle.

I have to remind my self that people killed animals in the 60's and 70's with slower bows, heavier arrows, brass pin sights, external frame packs, cotton flannel shirts, no goretex, and canned food. It can be done.

It is more of a mind set of what is good enough vs. "the Best for now"

FYI that is a photo of a Klondike gold rusher.

Last edited:
My main problem with "going" is having the time off to "go". I only get 15 days off...no sick time. So if I plan a trip or two with the wife, then I usually end up with about a week to "go". Factor in family coming to visit and a tag or two, and I'm out of vacation pretty quick-like.

Shrek

WKR
My main problem with "going" is having the time off to "go". I only get 15 days off...no sick time. So if I plan a trip or two with the wife, then I usually end up with about a week to "go". Factor in family coming to visit and a tag or two, and I'm out of vacation pretty quick-like.
Quackaddict , l hope they pay you really well to live like that. I worked at a place when I was younger that offered very little time off and no flexibility. Never again ! I'd rather be dead broke and hunting my arse off with Craigslist gear than have golden handcuffs. First is go and gear is second. I have to balance it like everyone else but if it comes down to it I'm dancing with what I got.

Btw , I'm battling it right now. I could buy a pretty good spotter to take to Montana this year or add two weeks hunting in Idaho...I haven't bought the spotter.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm in a similar although slightly better deal with my job. I will say it it limits my trips but I spend all effort to ensure I'm maximizing my time off whether it's an draw tag or over the counter it causes me to treat them the same

gelton

WKR
My main issue is a demanding job and the fact that when I head to my hunting area I have an 18 hour drive. I get out in the field here in TX but nothing like the mountains. Because it is such a production for me to get out there for two weeks out of the year and because I want those two weeks to be as enjoyable as possible I will generally go with gear. If I had the choice though and/or lived closer to where I enjoy hunting the most (mountains) then there is no question that I would choose field time over gear.

dotman

WKR
Gear has zero hold on my time in the woods, my family is the biggest limit to me spending all my free time out and for me I'm ok with that. I still get plenty of time to get out, will be in CO next week fly fishing and scouting.

Truthfully I look at it this way when the costs come up, if I don't go I'll still be eating, driving and have incidental costs, if I go it really isn't that much more expensive then my usual daily expenses.

Quackaddict , l hope they pay you really well to live like that. I worked at a place when I was younger that offered very little time off and no flexibility. Never again ! I'd rather be dead broke and hunting my arse off with Craigslist gear than have golden handcuffs. First is go and gear is second. I have to balance it like everyone else but if it comes down to it I'm dancing with what I got.

Btw , I'm battling it right now. I could buy a pretty good spotter to take to Montana this year or add two weeks hunting in Idaho...I haven't bought the spotter.

I wish they were. I mean, it's decent pay(could definitely be worse), but I really hate the job as well as my boss. On top of it, I drive an hour one way to/from work. Only job I can find right now. Unless you want to wait tables or work retail, or happen to be in the medical field, the job market in Las Cruces is pretty pathetic.

LUCKILY, I finally got an interview with NMSU on a position that I think I'll really enjoy. No more money, but better benefits, more PTO, sick leave, in my field of degree, and an 8 min drive to work(which would save me a car payment + fuel every month). I'm really hoping I can nail this interview and get offered the position. It'd be more than I could ask for.

PA 5-0

WKR
As I read and reply to this thread sitting in a meeting with 10 co-workers, I am thinking it is much easier to research and buy new gear than it is to get into the mntns. That said, I would never even delay a shed hunting trip due to any gear needs. Thankfully, I am at a financial point in life where buying new gear has no affect on my hunting/travel plans. And that said, I get emotionally attached to my gear. Meaning I am not a 6 backpack guy. If I need to upgrade for a specific hunt, like AK, I do my homework and crush PayPal. Although I agree with many here regarding nothing beats time in the field, fact is most of us are not professional hunters getting paid to kill shit. We need to feed the family first, hunting and gear a CLOSE second!! But I for one have used the net to research new areas, view hunting areas on google maps, pick stands sites via satellite, and formulate hunt plans on mntns 2000 miles away from my house. So time stuck at work is not totally wasted.............

Grundy53

WKR
Gear has zero hold on my time in the woods, my family is the biggest limit to me spending all my free time out and for me I'm ok with that. I still get plenty of time to get out, will be in CO next week fly fishing and scouting.

Truthfully I look at it this way when the costs come up, if I don't go I'll still be eating, driving and have incidental costs, if I go it really isn't that much more expensive then my usual daily expenses.

This is actually pretty much my situation.

My gear purchases do not affect my hunting time. I can see the mountain I plan to hunt from my front yard. That being said I made the decision 3 years ago to leave a good job in Wisconsin for better outdoor recreation out west. I dont earn much money but I can be chasing mule deer in less than an hour and within some of the best hunting in probably 5 states in 8 hours max. Now if only I could draw a tag.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Spending time and money on gear never limits my time in the woods. But here I was sitting here thinking about all the scouting trips I was going to get in this summer, and then just discovered my three daughter's and wife's schedules for the summer.......all going different directions. Holy cow.......so much for being in the mountains all summer.:(

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Its always better to make do with what ya have and actually GO on a trip/hunt than stay at home to pay for a shiny new toy to fondle in the evenings at home after work dreaming about getting the time off work to actually get to go and use it.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't say gear purchases won't keep me out of the woods, as in if I need something like a new bow mid season that I can not afford then ya I'm not going. However if it's a matter of upgrade vs. Fuel and time, there is no question about it the upgrade waits.

AZ Vince

WKR
Got no gear but still go.

It's all in the mindset. Truth be told I have gear but it's been a process of getting it and making do until I can afford better. I've just recently been able to afford better.

Buckman

WKR
Problem for me is as a owner/operator when I'm gone the shop is closed. No income, no paid va k or sick days. So gear and the hunting trip are both very costly. I get to go on one trip every other year and that's only if I can spread the cost with other guys. This year its Colorado elk. Cann't wait, its extra special when it comes hard.

Beendare

WKR
Who needs a backpack? grin
180lb sow at laguna 1983.jpg

When i was young I had the time but not the $$$....now i have the $$$ but not as much time as I would like [3 months straight would be nice] though I do Ok.

Its all about priorities too- Mine; Family first, my business...then wayyy down the line- Me!

Last edited: