Fudd?

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
Might just be me but I've never considered "Fudd" to be generational. More just the caricature of hunters that the general non hunting public perceives. It runs through all generations.
The cringeworthy guy at the end of the bar that really isn't interested in hunting, just "drinkin' and killin' stuff".

Might just be me but I've never considered "Fudd" to be generational.
Same. I always saw being a fudd as more of a mindset than an age. No one would call Frank Galli a fudd and he's probably at least 50-55 years old. Being a fudd is being vocally against progress in the hunting/shooting community and usually comes with a weird complex about being better or more manly than the people doing things more efficiently.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Might just be me but I've never considered "Fudd" to be generational. More just the caricature of hunters that the general non hunting public perceives. It runs through all generations.
The cringeworthy guy at the end of the bar that really isn't interested in hunting, just "drinkin' and killin' stuff".
Yep you can be 30 years old and try to shout down anyone who doesn’t shoot a 300 winny at elk

TaperPin

WKR
I
But who raised that generation?
Our oldest just had his first kid a few months ago and talked about a long list of behaviors that he will prevent his son from doing just by his equally long list of “improved” parenting practices. He is the first human to have cracked the code for how to properly raise a boy and we expect junior to be the ideal teenager.

Lol

IdahoBeav

WKR
I

Our oldest just had his first kid a few months ago and talked about a long list of behaviors that he will prevent his son from doing just by his equally long list of “improved” parenting practices. He is the first human to have cracked the code for how to properly raise a boy and we expect junior to be the ideal teenager.

Lol
Sounds like he has a plan and good work ethic and in 20 years will take credit/responsibility for his work instead of complaining.

Rich M

WKR
Same. I always saw being a fudd as more of a mindset than an age. No one would call Frank Galli a fudd and he's probably at least 50-55 years old. Being a fudd is being vocally against progress in the hunting/shooting community and usually comes with a weird complex about being better or more manly than the people doing things more efficiently.
Manly is a tough description around here. There are manly fudds and manly buns and manly men/nonwimps…

CorbLand

WKR
:)
So does Fudd cover someone who does not think critically and accepts new things?
Thinking critically does not mean you have to change what you do given new information. It means that you can see the merits the other side. Think the .223 thread. I read most of it and still shoot a 7mag but I can see that a .223 can be effective at killing things. Doesnt mean that I have to sell the 7 and go to a .223.

Accepting new things doesnt mean that you have to adopt them yourself. If you like your BAR, have at it but you can also accept that ARs are just a modern version of that. Doesnt mean you have to sell your BAR to buy an AR.

A kid I worked with was all in to the tactical side of shooting. He had ARs with all matching colors, plate carriers, special holsters for everything, etc. Not my cup of tea, and not what I would spend my money on but it makes him happy and what he wants so its cool. Doesnt mean I have to join him.

Generally, one must be a critical thinker to accept new things and those that accept new things are generally critical thinkers.

Last edited:

czgunner

FNG
I’ll play.
A Fudd can find his way in and out without an I phone cause he can read a map and knows how to use a compass. Plus if he’s been there once he can remember how to get back. Hunts for the pure joy, doesn’t have an instagram acct. Doesnt have a hit list or name his food. Doesn’t need to dial or shoot match grade ammo for a 300 yd shot. Knows how to sharpen a knife. Doesn’t need a poll to decide what gun scope, ammo, clothes or boots to wear. Doesn’t call his underwear a “ base layer ” His clothes aren’t a “system”. Has been killing shit since before most of the cool kids were a tingling in their daddy’s shorts. Did everything your doing today with a 270 topped with a 3-9 scope wearing his work clothes carrying an old frame pack filled with beanie weenies and Budweiser. Instead of making fun of him maybe you should realize who’s shoulders you’re standing on.
Meh, I know just as many fudds who can't navigate etc. Just because you're old doesn't mean you are competent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

But who raised that generation?
Microsoft and Google....Nintendo, Sony.
I have tried to make my son the exception but social influencers have created an entire industry of hunters that seem to NEED a rangefinder, turrets(custom!), ballistics app, 'run' a clothing 'system' and apparently overland gear and amber fogs in traffic on your To***a are the new-gen requirements to be a successful hunter.
Let's not forget 1200yd shots with a bullet with a BC that MUST start with a 6 all uploaded to social media.
A Fudd would toss some dust to check wind and hunt their way in relying on a 200yd zero to make a clean kill inside of 300.

sndmn11

Mouth of Morrison
I’ll play.
A Fudd can find his way in and out without an I phone cause he can read a map and knows how to use a compass. Plus if he’s been there once he can remember how to get back. Hunts for the pure joy, doesn’t have an instagram acct. Doesnt have a hit list or name his food. Doesn’t need to dial or shoot match grade ammo for a 300 yd shot. Knows how to sharpen a knife. Doesn’t need a poll to decide what gun scope, ammo, clothes or boots to wear. Doesn’t call his underwear a “ base layer ” His clothes aren’t a “system”. Has been killing shit since before most of the cool kids were a tingling in their daddy’s shorts. Did everything your doing today with a 270 topped with a 3-9 scope wearing his work clothes carrying an old frame pack filled with beanie weenies and Budweiser. Instead of making fun of him maybe you should realize who’s shoulders you’re standing on.
You knew my grandma??!?!