For you .45-70 guys

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Did you scope you rifle or just use the iron sights? Selling my ADL .30-06 and may keep the scope and put on my .45-70...it is a 3x9 older Tasco from the early 1980's

What's your planned use?

I've only personally seen a .45-70 as a defensive weapon in bear/dangerous game territory. For that purpose, I'd only run iron sights for quick target acquiring.

I have a low mag long eye relief scope on mine, but I hunted out to 200 yds with it. I just couldn't get confident with the iron sights much past 50yds.

Depending on what you shoot out of the 4570, that scope might not like it.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
1.5-8 with quick disconnect rings, keeping the factory ghost sights available. Best of both worlds...

I am currently using the custom iron sights that came on the WWG Co-Pilot I have, but have recently picked up a Nightforce 1-4x that I might try on it.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
If you do scope your 45-70 I’d put as good of a low power scope as possible. I don’t think that old Tasco would hold up to the recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HRH2K

FNG
I’ve got a Skinner rear aperture on my Marlin, to me it makes sense to have irons if you already have a scoped bolt action for longer stuff. The limit of range with the iron sights and trajectory of the cartridge seem to line up, At least for me. I could see where a low powered scope would be good also.

rayporter

WKR
scope -heck i cant see sights any more.

dont bash the old tasco. in '84 i put a GENUINE world class taso on my 06. cost all of 19.99$
that scope was carried on elk hunts 20 times on horse back, and float trips for moose three times. it never let me down.
dragging the raft with a rifle in the bottom sloshing in water did worry me some. i always said a 1000$ scope would have to prove itself by being treated like that to pass.

i finally took it off to put on better glass about 8 years ago.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Williams peep on mine, but iron sights are only as good as your eyes are.

If I had to put a scope on my 45-70 it'd probably be a fixed 2.5 power like they use on dangerous game rifles.

robtattoo

WKR
Back when it wasn't an idiot and sold my 1895, it had it fitted with an old Weaver K2.5 Alaskan. That, to my mind, was the ideal scope, mounted in steel Weaver rings.
They crop up on eBay regularly & every K series Weaver I've had has been utterly bomb proof.

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
I second the Weaver K series. I have a 35 year old 4x that is still crystal clear and rock solid. Coolest scope in deer camp - pure early 80’s style on a dressed up, walnut stocked Weatherby.

WJS23

WKR
Iron sights! I have been toying with the idea of putting a red dot on it but that’s it’s. If you want to shoot further just bring your bolt gun.140398

I have the SBL which comes with the nice ghost xs peep sight system. Even with that my old eyes dont look as good as they use to! I have added a leupold scout scope with quick detach mounts. I run the open sights while carrying for defense and the scope while hunting.

dla

WKR
Scoping a Guide Gun ruins its handiness and packability. I use a peep sight. Maximum Point Blank range is only 150yds with my loads and I dont need a scope for that.

OP
K

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently using the custom iron sights that came on the WWG Co-Pilot I have, but have recently picked up a Nightforce 1-4x that I might try on it.

WWG Co-Pilot is a nice gun, former co-worker has one.