Load Development ?'s (Noob thread)

They are correct. It’s hard to find “nodes” from a sample size of one. The ladder test for me is to find my working pressure and velocities I can expect. Run the ladder till you find either the velocity you want or pressure then stop. Then load 10 at the desired velocity or just below pressure and shoot a group. You’re running 143 ELD-X’s over top of H1000 in a 6.5 PRC. Due to burn rate, case fill, bullet selection, etc. it will most likely shoot well. If it doesn’t shoot well make drastic changes such as whole grain jumps or change powder entirely and see what happens. The guys you see playing with seating depth, primer brands, etc enjoy the intricacies of tinkering to squeeze every bit of potential out. That stuff isn’t necessary to shoot small groups. I haven’t messed with that stuff in a long time

Here is an example. Brand new 6.5 creedmoor arrived at my FFL two weeks before I was to be at a NRL Hunter match. Due to the cost of the rifle I needed to save some money (Young father of three). I ordered Nosler seconds 140 RDF’s and cheap star line brass. Yes, I said seconds. Played with Gordon Reloading Tool for an evening and settled on H4350. Ran a ladder test in .5 grain increments till I hit pressure. Backed it down .5 grains and loaded 5 (the group pictured below). Also, included is a screenshot of my garmin with a 43 shot sting with a 10.2 SD.
1726801615770.jpeg
1726801641025.png

MtnW

WKR
You sound like you have it figured out.
Usually 3 powders, 2-3 bullets at .5 grain increments.
Adding a chronograph early on to see what exactly is happening is smart and helps gain confidence.
The other piece of equipment that helps you gain control and further confidence is the Hornady Lock N Load bullet comparator system to assist in your O.A.L. and seating depth of your bullet.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely. Changing bullet or powder is always going to give you the most bag for your buck in load development. That's the best practice. Small powder charge changes, different primers or even seating depth changes should be the last thing you do. Just keep in mind, if you plan to shoot long range, test at long range. And remember the internet is full of people with results based on small sample sizes declaring that their result is proof of something. If you want to learn, do the work yourself shooting large sample size tests and do it with a variety of rifle/load combinations. And if you're a hunter do it with hunting rifles, because it matters.