For you .45-70 guys

Not a 45-70 but I have an older 30/30. I put a 3x9 on it to give it a little more precision. An inexpensive Nikon thinking I would use it as a brush gun in the north east. Short deer shots in hardwood forests not much beyond bow range. If I was doing it over again I think I would go fixed 4x. I don’t use the variability.

My 30/30 is a shooter. Groups an inch at 100 yards but with the drop on the bullet beyond 200 makes me think I wouldn’t want to shoot it any further than that.

If I was in a place with brown bears I might look at a red dot or stay with iron sights.

OP
K

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Not a 45-70 but I have an older 30/30. I put a 3x9 on it to give it a little more precision. An inexpensive Nikon thinking I would use it as a brush gun in the north east. Short deer shots in hardwood forests not much beyond bow range. If I was doing it over again I think I would go fixed 4x. I don’t use the variability.

My 30/30 is a shooter. Groups an inch at 100 yards but with the drop on the bullet beyond 200 makes me think I wouldn’t want to shoot it any further than that.

If I was in a place with brown bears I might look at a red dot or stay with iron sights.

No offense, but if I were in a place with brown bears I would want something bigger that a .30-.30

0uTkAsT

FNG
Depends on your eyes and your application. If you can see irons and are proficient with them, a good set would be ideal IMO. WWG, Skinner, and XS all make good sights for the 1895.

If you don't shoot well with irons and don't have an astigmatism, I'd go with a red dot. A good one mind you, find a used Aimpoint T1/T2, Trijicon MRO, etc. if new is out of your price range.

Lastly, a good lightweight, small-profile scope like the Japanese Weaver K-series, Leupold Ultralight, etc. would also make for a practical optic without hindering the speed and overall streamlined nature of the gun.

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
I have an SBL and it’s fantastic! I have come full round in regards to the sights on it. I started off with the ghost ring and did fine with them; Im not the best shot and the trigger is not great but desert plate at 150 yards is doable.

I decided I wanted to go the 1-4x route and stuck a Leupold VX-2 on it, groups tightened up and it was enjoyable. My biggest complaint is that even with low rings my cheek weld in the stock was more of a chin weld to get the proper eye box in the scope. Not to mention a hot load bucks pretty hard and I’ve gotten a bruised face or two.....

I toyed with putting in an adjustable comb to get a proper check weld, but decided against it after humming and hawing for over a year.

Off came the 1-4 and cue the red dot! I threw a Sig Romeo 5 (very AimPoint esq’) and it was me easier to get a proper sight picture but still not a cheek weld.

Off came the red dot and I’m back to the iron sights, couldn’t be happier! I am going to pick up the threaded peep for the rear sight that will allow me to install different sized apertures as the ghost ring is a little large for my liking for punching holes at the range.

FLS

WKR
A low powered optic is your fastest option for getting on target especially as your eyes begin to age. Every shooting game I’ve ever played, USPSA, 3 Gun, Steel Challenge, carbine matches , optics always win.
If it was strictly a bear defense gun, I’d opt for a big rugged peep. I had the XS sight on my guide gun along with the scout scope. It was about as fast as you can get for irons, but it’s a pretty course sight picture for anything other than short range. Never really liked the scout scope, eye relief really hurt it’s low light performance.

And if your lever is doing double duty....hunting shots at moderate distances and up-close bear defense....you can do worse than a Skinner or other peep sight with interchangeable apertures. Go in ghost-ring mode (no aperture) for defense or up close work on game. Add the right aperture if a longer shot is presented. A scope is fine if you like them on a lever, and I'm not against them, but they do significantly alter a Marlin's carrying characteristics as well as head position for the shot.

Reactions: dla