Fletching contact on drop away (not like you think)

WoodBow

WKR
See attached pictures of the fletch residue being left on the base of the rest. I recently switched to the Iron will vanes, which are higher profile, but it was happening with my old vanes as well. I recently re-timed the qad to make sure it it coming vertical in the last inch of draw. It looks like the contact is happening with the rest fully down.

Is it because I am shooting 4 fletch and there is less space between the two bottom vanes? Pics included to get an idea of clearance. In one of them I held the arrow in place after I dropped the rest.

I am still getting good accuracy out to 100 and im getting a bullet hole in paper, but I can't imagine it not having some impact.
daa1ba918907d4951c4398c1341bb4e9.jpg
859d240d776d8f16bf9a6289e137227e.jpg
496214ac0d69a4385658a57b977f957e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Fixed it. It was indeed arrow rotating that early. If shot in the conventional X orientation, the bottom right fletch contacts on the outside of bottom right vane. Rotated some and it contacted on inside of bottom left vane. Split the difference and got no contact. Used lipstick on rest.

I talked to a friend who said there is another launcher fork that is like 1/8" taller. I managed to find mine that came with the rest and decided to go ahead and swap them and paper tune again. The amount of clearance I had before was as slim as it can get and dependant on nock rotation.

Last edited:
OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
2 things:
You shoot outside barefoot?
Man that's a weird looking pinky toe!
Lol yea most of the time. But it's so hot in texas right now that even the grass burns your feet after mid day. No excuse for the pinky toe. They just ugly.

nphunter

WKR
Those Max Hunter vanes are famous for fletching contact, they are super tall and unforgiving in that regard.