Fleece suggestions

JG358

WKR
I'm in the market for a mid to heavy wt fleece for late season hunts. What would you suggest?

Trial153

WKR
For layering? Or outerwear..... Two that stand out to me for layering is the First lite Halstead, and Sitka heavy weight core. ....I think the heavy weight core and Fanatic hoodies are really nice over a med weight Base. I can see them taking me deep into the season.

The only fleece outerwear I have anymore is some Day one Fleece, it's really nice stuff if your not moving around much....

I have the First Lite Halstead Tech Fleece. Very comfortable. Would probably be more mid than heavy. If you prefer a more furry style fleece then check out the USGI ECWS Fleece, you can pick them up on ebay super cheap.

OP
JG358

JG358

WKR
For layering? Or outerwear..... Two that stand out to me for layering is the First lite Halstead, and Sitka heavy weight core. ....I think the heavy weight core and Fanatic hoodies are really nice over a med weight Base. I can see them taking me deep into the season.

The only fleece outerwear I have anymore is some Day one Fleece, it's really nice stuff if your not moving around much....

Mostly for part of a layering system but its always a plus if its tough enough to be an outer layer. After a quick search I was leaning towards a Halstead or maybe a Cerdic.

Trial153

WKR
Mostly for part of a layering system but its always a plus if its tough enough to be an outer layer. After a quick search I was leaning towards a Halstead or maybe a Cerdic.

You won't go wrong with the Halstead, it's a nice piece.

trophytaka

Lil-Rokslider
ive got a FL halstead tech fleece. very warm and cumfy. i wouldnt consider it a heavyweight piece. closer to middle weight as stated previously.

Kotaman

WKR
Sitka has a new Core Mid Weight and Heavy Weight fleece that are very nice. The heavy weight piece is extremely warm yet lightweight. If you want features and pockets, the new Sitka Fanatic Hoodie is another great piece.

OP
JG358

JG358

WKR
Sitka has a new Core Mid Weight and Heavy Weight fleece that are very nice. The heavy weight piece is extremely warm yet lightweight. If you want features and pockets, the new Sitka Fanatic Hoodie is another great piece.

Yeah, the Core Heavyweight looks pretty good too.

Razor

FNG
I know it's not a very popular brand on here but I have the Scentlok Timber fleece set and it's great as a cold weather outerwear. Windproof , water resistant and warm

I started using those USGI bear suit fleeces a 1,000 years ago and then graduated to a north Face heavy fleece with polartec 300 or 400 - the Denali. They were warm, somewhat heavy and didn't do much for blocking wind. I remember cursing that Denali more than once when the wind blew right through it. In the last 10 years, i have found that soft shells are breathable enough and mid weight puffies with good stretch have come along to fill the role that I used to use a heavy fleece for. The middleweight fleeces in my closet still see a lot of use and are great for layering and freedom of movement but don't cut wind at all so are limited for outwear use. I just find I get a less bulky garment with wind resistance if I go soft shell or wind blocker fleece with the same warmth. If I go puffy - even a midweight once like a patagonia nano puff or a north face thermo ball - I get more warmth for the weight plus wind resistance. The only possible compromise is a bit of freedom of movement.