Grid fleece comparison

OP
E
Nothing wrong with merino- biggest disadvantage is doesn't dry as fast as most synthetics.

The few pieces of merino stuff that I have are blends (it was mentioned above)- I've found ~ 60% wool/40% syn to be pretty good, you get benefits of merino and synthetic- will wear better and won't stretch out like 100% merino- will also dry quicker than 100% merino.

Might be best to do the laundry yourself w/ merino- I wash mine in cold or cool and only air dry them :)
I try to catch all my merino before it gets in but she got me good this year when she so nicely and lovingly washed my new batch after a week long hunt. I have baby arm baselayers if anybody needs them lol

I ordered a capilene andI'm going to pit it to the test against what I have and maybe one merino hoodie I've been looking at to see what works best for me. I was able to find a sale on a quarter zip version at a price that wasn't too much above eddie bauer or similar so I hope it works for me. I always appreciate your input

OP
E
They're typically not cheap, but a Polartec Alpha fleece is pretty amazing for high output stuff like XC skiing or running. It's basically the same as the Primaloft Evolve in the Sitka Ambient stuff.

I think the 90 grams/square meter weight is the most versatile. For running you might like that or the 60gsm. The 120gsm or the Alpha with wool is a little better for static stuff but still breathes amazingly well!

I sweat a lot and when I bought this Rab Alpha Flash Jacket it completely changed how I layered. Unfortunately, it's a little more expensive than it used to be.

I love Alpha so much that I learned how to sew just to make more pieces for myself, family, friends, etc. It's a really amazing fabric. You can pick up fabric on Etsy for pretty cheap and grab super easy pattern from LearnMYOG and you can make your own pullover hoodie for like $35 plus your time. It's a hobby for me so I don't factor time into the cost. If you just want to buy something off the shelf, I like the Rab a lot.

Garage Grown Gear has a bunch of options from small US makers too, but they tend to sell out quickly since most of them make the in small batchs.

https://www.garagegrowngear.com/search?type=product&q=alpha**&product_type=

If you're looking for something from a hunting company, the Alpha Inceptor Vest from Gulch Gear is amazing and the camo is really cool if you're into camo. I know it's not a hoodie, but it is really damn nice if you like vests.

Sincerely,
An Alpha Evangelist
The fact that you make your own is so dang cool. I wish I had the option to do that!!! I'll admit, the outside being without shell makes me nervous because I'm hard on gear and a lot of my running and biking is on trails in the woods and not on road, However I've been "Alpha curious" for a while.

If you had to say, what's the real downside to something like that rab?

I really like when my pieces can cross over into fitness, hunting and or daily wear but if it's really the best for the job I can probably persuaded to give it a closer look.

How do you use yours and where does it really excel and fall short?

I’ve worn the condor extensively for many years at this point. I’m a warm person to begin with but when layering with it it allowed me to stay warm in even colder temps. It’s a great piece of kit for the price. You can’t go wrong with them.

OP
E
I’ve worn the condor extensively for many years at this point. I’m a warm person to begin with but when layering with it it allowed me to stay warm in even colder temps. It’s a great piece of kit for the price. You can’t go wrong with them.
Too warm for high activity you think?

*zap*

WKR
Kenyon fleece is also good stuff, not grid thou. They have beanies and neck gaiters also. I have some of their heavy bottoms for sleeping in the bag and a vest which is light and not bulky but warm for sleeping. They offer lots of options. Ebay is good for some deals.

OP
E
Kenyon fleece is also good stuff, not grid thou. They have beanies and neck gaiters also. I have some of their heavy bottoms for sleeping in the bag and a vest which is light and not bulky but warm for sleeping. They offer lots of options. Ebay is good for some deals.
Never heard of them but I'll check them out!

OP
E
OK boys

Here's what I've found

I've now tried
Simms grid fleece- awesome, don't pay full price
Patagonia R1 and capilene (sold the r1 to a gym buddy) kept the capilene
Mountain hardware (amazing for stand hunting)
Sitka heavyweight and midweight and grinder (hw Is the king here, but the midweight deserves more credit)
Back country Mtn evo (paid 99$ on sale, wish it wasn't red and pink because it's dang good)
Sitka ambient hoodie (too warm for high activity for duration, not quite wind proof enough to bike)
Sitka MDWI (this is amazing)
Rogers grid fleece (also amazing for the money)
Reebok microlight grid (not good)
Black ovis timber creek (not bad, don't pay full price)
Condor grid fleece (for me, not perfect and I wouldn't buy another)
Kiln (the best piece first lite makes)
Furnace quarter zip (not good for activity, not a bad mid layer under a shell)
Mtn ops grid fleece (tight forearms, not good zipper)

I've been skiing (now the snow is gone due to warm weather here in mn) running biking and skiing, pulling my fishing stuff across the lake and working out in the shop with the above pieces.

In my estimation for high activity in cold
The clear winner is the back country mtn evo and the MDWI for cold weather and high exertion. The back country mtn evo is a God awful red pink color so I blend in great with the granola bears when I'm skiing. If I didn't love my mdwi so much I'd wear it but because they're harder to get and more expensive I am trying to keep it around forever since it's in multicam and I'm a sucker.

Next up would be the simms grid baselayer hoodie, sitka midweight and the Patagonia capilene. These are all much lighter than the rest and therefore dry faster. @Mtnwarden is right on about Patagonia. I don't love the brand but the product is pretty dang good.

My favorite to wear is absolute the sitka heavyweight. It's the most comfortable and fits me perfect. The grinder is more windproof and due to the dwr makes a great choice for ice fishing when your wife is absolutely on a terror snatching crappies out of a school and you're assisting. The r1 should have an honorable mention. Just as warm as the hw, but for my bodyshape doesn't quite fit as good. It's a little slimmer cut and I'm not sure if sizing up would make it better for me.

The rogers grid fleece is the best value. I paid 35$ for mine and I'd buy 10 more and never think twice. It's just like the black ovis but breaths a touch better. If I'd have known how great the mtn hardware was going to be I'd have bought 3 at 27$ and been super happy.

The condor doesn't fit me great. Very baggy in the sleeves, and oddly loose in the middle of the body. For 24$ it's a good deal but the no hood drives me nuts. I'm 6'2 and 215 with an athletic buid, and the xl just isn't quite right.

The mountain ops has the worst zippers and forearms that are tight tight tight. Nice Wright to the garment but I had to size up or I'd have tore the sleeves trying to get it on. By the way Mtn ops has great customer service and surprisingly good merino.

The first lite kiln actually works really well for a higher output midlayer due to the breathability but my issue with merino as a second layer is that when I'm sweating profusely and it gets wet it stays wet and doesn't feel great when I'm then cooling down or Changing at the truck. The furnace is absolutely not the answer. I have been wearing it a ton ice fishing to get more use out of it but if i sweat in it it's wet a long long time. Makes a not bad mid layer but I wouldn't say it's any warmer than a cheaper heavy weight fleece. I do like the piece and I don't regret buying it but I don't think I'd buy another.

The reebok I found at the local tj max seemed like it would be great but the hood is too tight and it has a super high amount of spandex so it holds moisture almost as bad as merino.

The beauty of the unseasonably warm weather we are having is that my running season is still going and we are approaching shed/scouting season with little snow so I can continue testing these out.

Any other cheaper grid fleeces you'd think I should try out?

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
OK boys

Here's what I've found

I've now tried
Simms grid fleece- awesome, don't pay full price
Patagonia R1 and capilene (sold the r1 to a gym buddy) kept the capilene
Mountain hardware (amazing for stand hunting)
Sitka heavyweight and midweight and grinder (hw Is the king here, but the midweight deserves more credit)
Back country Mtn evo (paid 99$ on sale, wish it wasn't red and pink because it's dang good)
Sitka ambient hoodie (too warm for high activity for duration, not quite wind proof enough to bike)
Sitka MDWI (this is amazing)
Rogers grid fleece (also amazing for the money)
Reebok microlight grid (not good)
Black ovis timber creek (not bad, don't pay full price)
Condor grid fleece (for me, not perfect and I wouldn't buy another)
Kiln (the best piece first lite makes)
Furnace quarter zip (not good for activity, not a bad mid layer under a shell)
Mtn ops grid fleece (tight forearms, not good zipper)

I've been skiing (now the snow is gone due to warm weather here in mn) running biking and skiing, pulling my fishing stuff across the lake and working out in the shop with the above pieces.

In my estimation for high activity in cold
The clear winner is the back country mtn evo and the MDWI for cold weather and high exertion. The back country mtn evo is a God awful red pink color so I blend in great with the granola bears when I'm skiing. If I didn't love my mdwi so much I'd wear it but because they're harder to get and more expensive I am trying to keep it around forever since it's in multicam and I'm a sucker.

Next up would be the simms grid baselayer hoodie, sitka midweight and the Patagonia capilene. These are all much lighter than the rest and therefore dry faster. @Mtnwarden is right on about Patagonia. I don't love the brand but the product is pretty dang good.

My favorite to wear is absolute the sitka heavyweight. It's the most comfortable and fits me perfect. The grinder is more windproof and due to the dwr makes a great choice for ice fishing when your wife is absolutely on a terror snatching crappies out of a school and you're assisting. The r1 should have an honorable mention. Just as warm as the hw, but for my bodyshape doesn't quite fit as good. It's a little slimmer cut and I'm not sure if sizing up would make it better for me.

The rogers grid fleece is the best value. I paid 35$ for mine and I'd buy 10 more and never think twice. It's just like the black ovis but breaths a touch better. If I'd have known how great the mtn hardware was going to be I'd have bought 3 at 27$ and been super happy.

The condor doesn't fit me great. Very baggy in the sleeves, and oddly loose in the middle of the body. For 24$ it's a good deal but the no hood drives me nuts. I'm 6'2 and 215 with an athletic buid, and the xl just isn't quite right.

The mountain ops has the worst zippers and forearms that are tight tight tight. Nice Wright to the garment but I had to size up or I'd have tore the sleeves trying to get it on. By the way Mtn ops has great customer service and surprisingly good merino.

The first lite kiln actually works really well for a higher output midlayer due to the breathability but my issue with merino as a second layer is that when I'm sweating profusely and it gets wet it stays wet and doesn't feel great when I'm then cooling down or Changing at the truck. The furnace is absolutely not the answer. I have been wearing it a ton ice fishing to get more use out of it but if i sweat in it it's wet a long long time. Makes a not bad mid layer but I wouldn't say it's any warmer than a cheaper heavy weight fleece. I do like the piece and I don't regret buying it but I don't think I'd buy another.

The reebok I found at the local tj max seemed like it would be great but the hood is too tight and it has a super high amount of spandex so it holds moisture almost as bad as merino.

The beauty of the unseasonably warm weather we are having is that my running season is still going and we are approaching shed/scouting season with little snow so I can continue testing these out.

Holy cow. Thank you for putting all of this together. -Rufus

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor Research Vigor Grid Fleece Hoody. I have an R1 I wear for hunting and skiing and it is a bit better at all things except fit. However, because you can find the OR Vigor on sale, I would say it’s a better value and does 90% of what the R1 will with a better fit.

OP
E
Outdoor Research Vigor Grid Fleece Hoody. I have an R1 I wear for hunting and skiing and it is a bit better at all things except fit. However, because you can find the OR Vigor on sale, I would say it’s a better value and does 90% of what the R1 will with a better fit.
I keep watching for one! They had great sales around Christmas but my size and color preference was out of stock!

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
YES...... The "Final Approach Acuta 1/4 zip grid fleece hoodie at Rogers. These have been on sale as of late. I got one for $34 and a day latter they had them down to $25. They may still have them in white geared towards snow goose guys. I scored a bottomland camo and Brown but they no longer have those colors. white only. These are the only grid fleece hoodies I have and I would say they are a light to mid weight at best. I was so thrilled with the first one, that I ordered the second as soon as I got the first in the mail.

You have really done your homework on these grid fleece hoodies and I would really like your opinion on the FA Acuta if you get a shot at one.

Keep up the good work Erussell

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Three that I kept and like that I consider mid weight.

Orvis ( polar tech) mid weight…and this falls in on the heavier side. I think it’s the Horseshoe hills version. I liked the hooded version so much that bought two more and also the non hooded version.

Patagonia R1 this a classic, I have few of them in the hooded and quarter zip.

Sitka Mid and heavy weight, i have heavy weight hoody ( the second version ) that has been on about 75 different hunts. It’s bomb proof and a must pack. I also like the quarter zip mid weight as well. I think it’s under utilized especially as second layer .

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that I have black simms polar tech hoody that has smooth outer face that’s has seen 100s of days steelhead fishing under my wading jackets …it has to be going on 15 years old.
Simms makes really good shit

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka Mid and heavy weight, i have heavy weight hoody ( the second version ) that has been on about 75 different hunts. It’s bomb proof and a must pack. I also like the quarter zip mid weight as well. I think it’s under utilized especially as second layer .

If they made it (midnight) w/ a hood, I'd definitely give it a go. I've never handled one, but based on pics and stated weight- I think it's probably similar to Patagonia's Thermal Weight, but it has hood which is a must for me :)

OP
E
YES...... The "Final Approach Acuta 1/4 zip grid fleece hoodie at Rogers. These have been on sale as of late. I got one for $34 and a day latter they had them down to $25. They may still have them in white geared towards snow goose guys. I scored a bottomland camo and Brown but they no longer have those colors. white only. These are the only grid fleece hoodies I have and I would say they are a light to mid weight at best. I was so thrilled with the first one, that I ordered the second as soon as I got the first in the mail.

You have really done your homework on these grid fleece hoodies and I would really like your opinion on the FA Acuta if you get a shot at one.

Keep up the good work Erussell
Man how awesome is old school bottomland camo!? It might be my top all time favorite just for the nostalgia no lie. I'll definitely give them a shot! That price is too good to pass up!

OP
E
Three that I kept and like that I consider mid weight.

Orvis ( polar tech) mid weight…and this falls in on the heavier side. I think it’s the Horseshoe hills version. I liked the hooded version so much that bought two more and also the non hooded version.

Patagonia R1 this a classic, I have few of them in the hooded and quarter zip.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that I have black simms polar tech hoody that has smooth outer face that’s has seen 100s of days steelhead fishing under my wading jackets …it has to be going on 15 years old.
Simms makes really good shit
I don't have any orvis other than my bird vest but I got my dad a puffy from them and he loves it! They make really good gear it seems and if you catch a sale it's awesome prices too.

I really liked the weight of the R1, but the fit was a little off for me. What are your specs and what size did you go with? I might just need a size up.

My favorite daily wear quarter zip is the midweight in solid colors. I wear it to the office all the time because it's the best all around weight for me and doesn't leave me hot or cold ever. I layer it with a vest. I should really buy another one if I find a sale for how much I use the ones I have.

I love simms. They have the absolute best fingerless gloves and their warranty has been unbeatable I'm my personal experience. I gave my father in law my simms Rogue hoodie after he borrowed it one time. I miss it because it was just a great piece of gear. I killed a lot of deer and turkeys with it and used it fishing a ton. If I ever find one in that same camo pattern I'll have to get it