Grid fleece comparison

nick21

FNG
The kangaroo pocket is actually really intriguing.. how's the sizing?
I'm 6'2, 215 crossfitter build. I'm a large hw hoody, what size in the mtn ops?
The sizing is funky, I normally wear medium everything but their medium was pretty snug. If fit but wouldn't be comfortable trying to get layering underneath. So definitely go a size up.

nick21

FNG
I also enjoy the sitka heavyweight and the fanatic hoody. Premium hoodies. I may purchased the mtn ops fleece and man!!!! I'm impressed. It's pretty heavy. I love the fit and the zipper. Good shit 👏
Correction: I did purchase mtn ops fleece.

OP
E
I love it, fit is definitely athletic, but it's comfortable and heavy enough to be on its own if weather permits. The hood is my favorite hood of all....
I like it too, but the tight forearms made me size up, which ended up being a great option. It's a tighter knit, so it's done really well in wind and cold. It might end up being my primary for deer season this next fall because I love the kangaroo pocket and the hood is solid

VuduDoc

FNG
@Erussell01 Any experience or thoughts on the Patagonia R1 Techface or R2 series? You mentioned the R1 not being windproof enough for biking but the Techface version is made more windproof (no personal experience) and I don't know enough about fabrics or fabric weights to make assumptions of how the R2 would stack up. Looks like they had a full-zip hoody version.

I am just beginning my journey down the "replacing some of my everyday wear with quality earth-toned layering pieces that I primarily want for hunting or outdoor recreation as to get the most value out of my purchase" path and started by looking into the Condor and the R1. So your thread and personal write-up have been extremely informative. Thanks a lot!

Currently I overheat in mid-late season whitetail hunts on my hike in. Approx. 1 mi. with a FL Kiln quarter-zip and an Under Armour Cold Gear quarter-zip. The Under Armour piece I got at a Kohls with some Kohls cash and an additional discount for something stupid, like $6? It's been an excellent outer layer and has proven to be durable for 2 seasons so far. In fact, I don't put another jacket on unless is <32* F if I'm still hunting or <40* if I'm stationary. I would guess this would definitely be considered a heavyweight garment but no clue how it compares to say the Sitka HW.

Being able to use these pieces on outdoor runs could greatly increase my outdoor running season. Don't really have anything that works for that. Pants too... I try to wear "jogger" style sweatpants but they are too heavy and don't breathe so I end up not regulating moisture or temperature well. Any recs on pants for running that can also be used as a hunting layering piece?

Defintely interested in the Condor, the R1 (to wear to the office as well), and the newish Sitka Ambient UL. Plus now I need to consider the Mtn Ops...

Yeah I really like my Mnt Ops. Wasn’t expecting much when I bought on sale, but was pleasantly surprised. Then again it’s a grid fleece. I don’t see that much “ performance “ difference between any expansive brand and my old Army issued one. I also have a Kryptek one I like that they don’t mane any more.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't like a hood, it's hard to beat an ecws grid fleece. Made from polar tec dry, they're cheap and durable. I run one and a polypropylene 1/4 zip. That thing cuts the wind more than a grid fleece and holds up really well busting through willows and alder thickets.

OP
E
@Erussell01 Any experience or thoughts on the Patagonia R1 Techface or R2 series? You mentioned the R1 not being windproof enough for biking but the Techface version is made more windproof (no personal experience) and I don't know enough about fabrics or fabric weights to make assumptions of how the R2 would stack up. Looks like they had a full-zip hoody version.

I am just beginning my journey down the "replacing some of my everyday wear with quality earth-toned layering pieces that I primarily want for hunting or outdoor recreation as to get the most value out of my purchase" path and started by looking into the Condor and the R1. So your thread and personal write-up have been extremely informative. Thanks a lot!

Currently I overheat in mid-late season whitetail hunts on my hike in. Approx. 1 mi. with a FL Kiln quarter-zip and an Under Armour Cold Gear quarter-zip. The Under Armour piece I got at a Kohls with some Kohls cash and an additional discount for something stupid, like $6? It's been an excellent outer layer and has proven to be durable for 2 seasons so far. In fact, I don't put another jacket on unless is <32* F if I'm still hunting or <40* if I'm stationary. I would guess this would definitely be considered a heavyweight garment but no clue how it compares to say the Sitka HW.

Being able to use these pieces on outdoor runs could greatly increase my outdoor running season. Don't really have anything that works for that. Pants too... I try to wear "jogger" style sweatpants but they are too heavy and don't breathe so I end up not regulating moisture or temperature well. Any recs on pants for running that can also be used as a hunting layering piece?

Defintely interested in the Condor, the R1 (to wear to the office as well), and the newish Sitka Ambient UL. Plus now I need to consider the Mtn Ops...
I haven't played with the R2 at all, @mtwarden have you?

If that under armour cold gear quarter zip is the same one that I have with the lofted fleece inside that thing is TOASTY and is more similar to the Sitka traverse coldweather hoody I love so much.

I too sweat a little much for the kiln in the late seasons. My thinking on merino has really changed. I like light weight merino (150gsm or below) as a baselayer in hot or mild weather and then I just go full synthetic. My baselayer set up is almost always either a sitka core LW or the Kryptek equivalent now because moisture management for me is just better. Then I start my hike super light and actually cold, which was really hard for me at first. I'll take my beanie off as I'm going so I can vent better and then when I'm at my tree I layer back up to retain heat and I'm much better off. For me, a light baselayer and a windproof vest is great combo.

Mtwarden was right the first time he told me to wear a windshirt. I rock a windshirt over a baselayer now a ton for biking, hiking, skiing and I'll finally take his advice and add one to my kit for elk and muledeer season this year. (The one for running is a bright color)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't tried the R2; I have tried (and use) their thermal weight capilene- which is a mid-weight grid fleece. I originally envisioned using them as a mid-layer, but I now use them as a base layer in cold conditions. They are warm, pretty light and dry fast. Perfect to sleep in as well in cold conditions.