Grid fleece comparison

I'm interested in testing out a couple of new grid fleeces for winter running and cross country skiing and I'm trying to figure out thickness of different ones, since I would imagine the thickness of the grid fleece would determine breathability

I have a few of them
I have a cabelas grid fleece quarter zip which I'd say I'd extremely heavy, far heavier than my core heavyweight hoodie

Sitka heavyweight and grinder hoodie- I believe this is around 330 weight fleece based on what I can see from the internet

Rogers elite heavyweight hoodie- more open grid, way more breathable than the heavyweight, but not nearly as warm when static

Sitka midweight quarter zip- lighter than the rogers, but one of my all time favorites for high activity. Not warm for static as a stand alone but makes a great base layer when really cold and low to moderate activity

I have a mountain hardware grid fleece in the mail and I'm looking at a a condor grid fleece, an eddie bauer and maybe, possibly a patagonia R1. I'd rather not buy patagonia for personal dislike of the brand but if it's the best for what I'm doing I guess I could be swayed.

Right now the condor is the biggest unknown to me. I've never touched one and normally I like a hood, but I hear them recommended heavily. I don't know how thick it is, so I'm hoping someone can help me who has personal experience.

My current favorites are the sitka mid and heavyweight, and the rogers elite. All of them have done a great job so far, but since I'm always looking to test and tinker I thought I'd play with a couple more this winter.

Has anybody tried the r1 directly against the condor, and or any others to be able to speak to thickness and breathability?

Cost is absolutely a factor here too, if the condor Is 85% as good as the others I'll try one. If the r1 is 1000% better, I'll swallow my pride and eat some granola.

I have some Sitka heavyweight, First Lite, and Patagonia r1 grid fleeces in my gear stash, along with a kuiu and mountain ops midweight grid fleece. I think they all work pretty well as midlayers. A few thoughts:

• patagonia - politics aside, it is good stuff. have and use both a hooded and non hooded top. I also have a version called tech face that has a wind and abrasion resistant face. It does block some wind but doesnt breath as well.
  • FL - could not tell the difference in performance from patagonia
  • stika - good, well designed. Probably my favorite of the bunch for heavyweight midlayer
  • mountain ops - wel designed and comfortable. My favorite midweight
  • kuiu - good but I don’t like, the fit as much as mountain ops. They have some interesting hybrid jackets that blend grid fleece and wind stopper tat are worth a look. Also, not a grid, but the peleton 97 is a badass piece of kit that would probably compare to midweight grid fleece in terms of warmth.
Last thought is that the new(ish) active insulation like the polartec alpha in the Sitka ambient stuff is pretty cool. After two seasons, my two jackets (both Sitka Arrowhead MDWI) are finding their way into my line up in place of my grid fleeces with increasing frequency.

OP
E
I have some Sitka heavyweight, First Lite, and Patagonia r1 grid fleeces in my gear stash, along with a kuiu and mountain ops midweight grid fleece. I think they all work pretty well as midlayers. A few thoughts:

• patagonia - politics aside, it is good stuff. have and use both a hooded and non hooded top. I also have a version called tech face that has a wind and abrasion resistant face. It does block some wind but doesnt breath as well.
  • FL - could not tell the difference in performance from patagonia
  • stika - good, well designed. Probably my favorite of the bunch for heavyweight midlayer
  • mountain ops - wel designed and comfortable. My favorite midweight
  • kuiu - good but I don’t like, the fit as much as mountain ops. They have some interesting hybrid jackets that blend grid fleece and wind stopper tat are worth a look. Also, not a grid, but the peleton 97 is a badass piece of kit that would probably compare to midweight grid fleece in terms of warmth.
Last thought is that the new(ish) active insulation like the polartec alpha in the Sitka ambient stuff is pretty cool. After two seasons, my two jackets (both Sitka Arrowhead MDWI) are finding their way into my line up in place of my grid fleeces with increasing frequency.
I have some of the actives.... I'm too warm in them for running but love them for hunting. Do you find the quality of the mountain ops tops to be sufficient? How's the fit on that one? I'm a large in sitka hw, but unsure if the sleeve length is good to go on the mountain ops brand.

If you had to compare the r1 to the weight of the sitka and the mountain ops.. would you call it lighter?

Last edited:
OP
E
Mountain Ops makes the best fleece I've found. I have the R1, Sitka HW, and several others.

I like the kangaroo pocket with zippers. Plus, the price is great.
The kangaroo pocket is actually really intriguing.. how's the sizing?
I'm 6'2, 215 crossfitter build. I'm a large hw hoody, what size in the mtn ops?

I have some of the actives.... I'm too warm in them for running but love them for hunting. Do you find the quality of the mountain ops tops to be sufficient? If you had to compare the r1 to the weight of the sitka... would you call it lighter?
Don’t have a lot of use on he mountain ops but quality seems fine. I am. 6’3” 260#. Somewhere between cross fit and dad bod. I needed Xxl to make the shoulders work. It is atheletic but not skinny.

the face weave on the Sitka seems tighter And it feels overall a little lighter than r1. I couldn’t honestly tell you one was warmer than the other or worked better.

t_carlson

WKR
The kangaroo pocket is actually really intriguing.. how's the sizing?
I'm 6'2, 215 crossfitter build. I'm a large hw hoody, what size in the mtn ops?

I wear the medium and I'm 6'0" and 170 lb. It'd say its a little bigger than most mediums (Sitka and Kuiu, etc).

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For running & x country skiing, I found the Heavyweight and R1 weights (very similar imo) too much.

Not sure if they’re still made, but the Patagonia Thermal weight hoodie (just a lighter grid fabric) was just right (they made bottoms too).

I also use them as base layers in very cold hunting conditions.

Patagonia has bad habit of discontinuing their very best products, so not sure if they are still available.

OP
E
For running & x country skiing, I found the Heavyweight and R1 weights (very similar imo) too much.

Not sure if they’re still made, but the Patagonia Thermal weight hoodie (just a lighter grid fabric) was just right (they made bottoms too).

Patagonia has bad habit of discontinuing their very best products, so not sure if they are still available.
That's been my experience with the heavy hoodie ambient and mdwi so far. At 0 to 10 the mdwi was perfect and the ambient did ok, but if it's warmer I'm way over heating. I did a quick search for the thermal hoodie and it appears to be discontinued sadly. I'll watch for a used one to see if I can find one

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like they (Patagonia) still has the bottoms, a zip top and a crew- funny they nixed the hoody- I would have thought this would have been the most popular choice????

Looks like a few outfits still have a hoody in stock, but I see they nixed the zipper in it- odd.

They changed the name of this piece at least twice, maybe three times; think it originally was the Expedition weight, then I think another name, then Thermal weight

These (have three :)) are the ones I have.

https://www.rei.com/product/884924/patagonia-capilene-thermal-weight-zip-hoodie-mens

OP
E
Looks like they (Patagonia) still has the bottoms, a zip top and a crew- funny they nixed the hoody- I would have thought this would have been the most popular choice????

Looks like a few outfits still have a hoody in stock, but I see they nixed the zipper in it- odd.

They changed the name of this piece at least twice, maybe three times; think it originally was the Expedition weight, then I think another name, then Thermal weight

These (have three :)) are the ones I have.

https://www.rei.com/product/884924/patagonia-capilene-thermal-weight-zip-hoodie-mens
I was really hoping for a hood, but I guess u could go with a zip t. I like hoods for this type of stuff so when I stop I can throw the hood up and keep the wind off my neck. I appreciate you doing the legwork of finding this for me!

Do you ever feel weird about buying patagonia? I just have this disdain for the brand but I'm sure I have other brands that a aren't hunting friendly that I use elsewhere in my life and people speak so highly of it that I might just have to swallow my pride and give it a go

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Not really; most of the outdoor clothing/backpacking gear outfits usually don't align perfectly with my outlook on things, but before the hunting industry finally started realizing that guys wanted/needed good gear- that's all there was. Almost all of my newer stuff is from hunting related companies, but there are still pieces that I utilize (some a lot) from mainstream outdoor gear companies.

I'm really liking the way the hunting industry is moving though- lots of really good and innovative stuff coming out :)

twall13

WKR
I'll throw a couple options to consider in the mix. I really value breathability during high exertion activities like trail running. One of my favorite pieces for winter trail running over the last few years has been an Icebreaker Descender. The one I have has a full zip but doesn't have a hood. They might have another option that does come with a hood, I'm not sure cause I picked it up on a sale without doing much research on it. It's similar to a lightweight grid fleece but uses merino wool blend. I've been pretty happy with that one for most winter conditions.

Another option that I picked up this year and have been playing with and liking is the Outdoor Research Deviator Hoodie. It's my first piece of gear with the new active insulation similar to the Sitka Ambient. I've really liked it and it has me looking at the new Sitka Ambient with the full zip and hood for hunting. From what I read, it's not quite as heavily insulated as the Ambient though I'm not totally sure on that. With that said, for me personally, it's a bit warm for runs in temps above about 20 degrees (I should note I'm only using an outdoor research echo T-shirt underneath it to get these results). I think it will really shine in single digit weather, though I haven't had a chance to test it in those conditions yet. Maybe I run hot when active, I don't know. I've been using it a lot for hiking and really like the breathability and how quickly it dries. Downside is I don't love the color options, I went with the Slate Gray color and it's really more of a baby blue color. I probably should have gone with the grove green or the black.

Anyway, that's a couple more options to consider. Keep us posted on your comparison and what you like.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
E
^ Not really; most of the outdoor clothing/backpacking gear outfits usually don't align perfectly with my outlook on things, but before the hunting industry finally started realizing that guys wanted/needed good gear- that's all there was. Almost all of my newer stuff is from hunting related companies, but there are still pieces that I utilize (some a lot) from mainstream outdoor gear companies.

I'm really liking the way the hunting industry is moving though- lots of really good and innovative stuff coming out :)
That's a fair outlook and I appreciate your perspective. I don't throw out any gear when I am able to get something from a brand thar aligns with my lifestyle and belief system, I just spend my money when I can with companies that do support my lifestyle.

OP
E
I'll throw a couple options to consider in the mix. I really value breathability during high exertion activities like trail running. One of my favorite pieces for winter trail running over the last few years has been an Icebreaker Descender. The one I have has a full zip but doesn't have a hood. They might have another option that does come with a hood, I'm not sure cause I picked it up on a sale without doing much research on it. It's similar to a lightweight grid fleece but uses merino wool blend. I've been pretty happy with that one for most winter conditions.

Another option that I picked up this year and have been playing with and liking is the Outdoor Research Deviator Hoodie. It's my first piece of gear with the new active insulation similar to the Sitka Ambient. I've really liked it and it has me looking at the new Sitka Ambient with the full zip and hood for hunting. From what I read, it's not quite as heavily insulated as the Ambient though I'm not totally sure on that. With that said, for me personally, it's a bit warm for runs in temps above about 20 degrees. I think it will really shine in single digit weather, though I haven't had a chance to test it in those conditions yet. Maybe I run hot when active, I don't know. I've been using it a lot for hiking and really like the breathability and how quickly it dries. Downside is I don't love the color options, I went with the Slate Gray color and it's really more of a baby blue color. I probably should have gone with the grove green or the black.

Anyway, that's a couple more options to consider. Keep us posted on your comparison and what you like.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I was thinking about a midweight merino for this application, but I'm concerned for moisture buildup during high exertion. I actually have a mountain ops merino hoody in my cart right along side their grid fleece right now haha

I picked up a backcountry branded Mtn Evo air hoody on black Friday. It's a God awful red color but it's 60 grams of primaloft evolve, full zip, hood, and pockets like my mdwi but with a little less insulation. I'm not sure it will fit the bill but boy for the money I paid I'll use it for rucks and hiking and be a big ol red glowing beacon lol

OP
E
Don't leave out the Stone Glacier Helio. It's lighter than the Sitka HW and I don't go outdoors without one!
I guess I hadn't even considered it! What's the weight comparison to the heavyweight or the midweight? Closer to the midweight from Sitka?

OP
E
Slight spin boys. I just got in my mountain hardware summit grid fleece.

It's not at all what I expected. It's actually like the opposite of all other grid fleeces I have where the grid is On the outside, and it's got almost a brushed fleece interior. It absolutely won't work for me for running since it's WARM but man I really like it... big ol kangaroo pocket, hood and half zip. It's this one https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/mens-summit-grid-hoody-2002891.html

I paid 27$ for it on Amazon. Size large fits perfectly. I'm going to use it a ton for grouse hunting and maybe even my normal rotation for bowhunting in place of my heavy hoody. The color is some gold orange combo thing but I'm honestly impressed

Lawnboi

WKR

Have you tried a Sitka midweight? Found it perfect for high exertion stuff from 20-40 degrees. I know you’re a hood guy, I don’t think they have one with a hood though.