Fishnet base layers. They work, and you want them.

CRBTBB711

FNG
How many people have used fishnet baselayers for stationary/tree stand hunting? I have a way of a couple hundred yards to 1.5 miles. I get the sweat followed by the chill an hour or two later.

People who have fishnets seem to love them but it seems like most people use them for western hunting or activities with constant movement.

I’m looking at the aclima woolnet of Brynja thermo wools and it’s seems merino a seem to keep you warmer for stationary times base on other forums.

Also, for those of you who have have fishnets (synthetic or wool) for awhile how have they held up?

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
How many people have used fishnet baselayers for stationary/tree stand hunting? I have a way of a couple hundred yards to 1.5 miles. I get the sweat followed by the chill an hour or two later.

People who have fishnets seem to love them but it seems like most people use them for western hunting or activities with constant movement.

I’m looking at the aclima woolnet of Brynja thermo wools and it’s seems merino a seem to keep you warmer for stationary times base on other forums.

Also, for those of you who have have fishnets (synthetic or wool) for awhile how have they held up?
Maybe it's just all in my head but I feel like the fishnets are warmer for me for my stationary hunting than my normal baselayers ever were.

That said, it's really about managing moisture. Do you usually get sweaty walking into your stand? It looks like from your comment that you do. I do, and if you normally get sweaty then the fishnets are going to do better for you in my opinion. They'll keep you from sweating as much and dry faster. I never get that cold clammy feeling I got from normal merino baselayers. For me the Aclima Woolnets paired with an alpaca over layer is perfection.

As for durability I've had mine for a year and so far so good. Can't comment beyond that but I don't just use them for hunting, I wear them all winter.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
The wick so much better and less material to stay damp if you sweat.

Absolutely long hike in for a cold weather sit is warmer than regular merino.

If you try them back to back at your home with hunting layers just sitting outside you may not feel any difference, but add sweating and you will.

I love them so much sometimes I’ll wear regular merino over as my second layer and omit more traditional pieces.

CRBTBB711

FNG
The wick so much better and less material to stay damp if you sweat.

Absolutely long hike in for a cold weather sit is warmer than regular merino.

If you try them back to back at your home with hunting layers just sitting outside you may not feel any difference, but add sweating and you will.

I love them so much sometimes I’ll wear regular merino over as my second layer and omit more traditional pieces.
I was debating what to wear over the fishnet. Thought maybe a lightweight synthetic like a Sitka core LW or similar vs a light weight merino. Have you experimented with different second layers?

I also have an pneuma heated vest for really cold. For that I was thinking doing a long sleeve fishnet, then pneuma vest, then light weight or medium weight merino vs synthetic

CRBTBB711

FNG
Maybe it's just all in my head but I feel like the fishnets are warmer for me for my stationary hunting than my normal baselayers ever were.

That said, it's really about managing moisture. Do you usually get sweaty walking into your stand? It looks like from your comment that you do. I do, and if you normally get sweaty then the fishnets are going to do better for you in my opinion. They'll keep you from sweating as much and dry faster. I never get that cold clammy feeling I got from normal merino baselayers. For me the Aclima Woolnets paired with an alpaca over layer is perfection.

As for durability I've had mine for a year and so far so good. Can't comment beyond that but I don't just use them for hunting, I wear them all winter.
I would also wear mine primarily more hunting so it would be subjecting to year round abuse.

See my reply to Shraggs. Any experimenting with merino vs synthetic vs alpaca with your second layer? Difference in warm vs cold weather?

Bump79

WKR
I would also wear mine primarily more hunting so it would be subjecting to year round abuse.

See my reply to Shraggs. Any experimenting with merino vs synthetic vs alpaca with your second layer? Difference in warm vs cold weather?
I can take this one - a synthetic fleece or active insulation will be much better for a second layer. Merino and alpaca are best used in lighter weight baselayers next to skin in 190 GSM or less. A fleece will have much more warmth for the weight.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I was debating what to wear over the fishnet. Thought maybe a lightweight synthetic like a Sitka core LW or similar vs a light weight merino. Have you experimented with different second layers?

I also have an pneuma heated vest for really cold. For that I was thinking doing a long sleeve fishnet, then pneuma vest, then light weight or medium weight merino vs synthetic
Personally I almost always wear a lightweight alpaca hoodie over my Woolnets. It's very warm but it breathes extremely well and is very light and doesn't start to stink. If it's warmer than usual I still wear them under a sun hoodie.

In general I like to wear wool/alpaca for base and midlayers because I feel they breathe better and don't stink. If its windy or raining then I'll use synthetics for an outer shell.

I have to admit I don't wear my Woolnets often under synthetics due to my preference for natural fibers, but I have a few times and my experience has been that they are probably equally warm or perhaps slightly more but they don't breathe as well which for me ultimately often means I'm colder in the long run.

Of course everyone's body is different and your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR

I treat them as my base layer. They are my base layer. My comment about a second base layer probably created confusion.

Any second layer I use will be breathable whether active mountain or in a tree stand hunting. Favorites are wool and fleece technical products. Second base layers used if it’s not terribly cold and using tight fitting outfits like pnuma.

Couple of times in below zero December elk I have also layered medium weight merino base layers over woolnet keeping heavier mid layers to a minimum from a bulk standpoint under a FL sawtooth for example. Worked well for casual pace but would loose the sawtooth if I needed to move faster. Wicking worked very well in that scenario.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I can take this one - a synthetic fleece or active insulation will be much better for a second layer. Merino and alpaca are best used in lighter weight baselayers next to skin in 190 GSM or less. A fleece will have much more warmth for the weight.
I think "*much* more warmth for weight" is a bit of a stretch. Average CLO/oz. for synthetic fleece is .090, whereas alpaca is .086 and merino wool is .084.

Really that's not a significant difference. Of course we are comparing averages and individual values will vary, but the insulative properties of alpaca/wool midlayers are very comparable to a synthetic fleece, with much better breathability and temperature regulation in my experience.

Bump79

WKR
I think "*much* more warmth for weight" is a bit of a stretch. Average CLO/oz. for synthetic fleece is .090, whereas alpaca is .086 and merino wool is .084.

Really that's not a significant difference. Of course we are comparing averages and individual values will vary, but the insulative properties of alpaca/wool midlayers are very comparable to a synthetic fleece, with much better breathability and temperature regulation in my experience.
I'll need to dive into this some more - but I'm speaking from my experience. A 200 weight merino or alpaca doesn't compare in breathability or warmth to my Kuiu Peloton 200. Or even a Peloton 97 or other 200 weight grid fleeces. And doesn't come close to touching the active insulations at the same weight. It just doesn't have the loft. It also is much slower in drying time. I've literally sat in a very light drizzle for hours in my Peloton 200 I can see the evaporation coming off and I'm still dry.

Don't get me wrong I like merino - but it hold more water, sweat and dries slower than a synthetic. For me I like the feel of sub 160 gsm merino next to my skin as polyester seems to not actually move the moisture of the skin when I'm active.

@mtwarden thoughts?

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I'll need to dive into this some more - but I'm speaking from my experience. A 200 weight merino or alpaca doesn't compare in breathability or warmth to my Kuiu Peloton 200. Or even a Peloton 97 or other 200 weight grid fleeces. And doesn't come close to touching the active insulations at the same weight. It just doesn't have the loft. It also is much slower in drying time. I've literally sat in a very light drizzle for hours in my Peloton 200 I can see the evaporation coming off and I'm still dry.

Don't get me wrong I like merino - but it hold more water, sweat and dries slower than a synthetic. For me I like the feel of sub 160 gsm merino next to my skin as polyester seems to not actually move the moisture of the skin when I'm active.

@mtwarden thoughts?
Definitely agree that alpaca/wool dry more slowly and absorb more moisture but they also are better at retaining their thermal properties when wet. Since they aren't directly next to the skin because they're midlayers I don't worry as much about them absorbing a little moisture. I suppose in a backpack hunt where the added moisture could increase weight that could be a concern.

Yes, wool/alpaca don't come close to synthetic insulation like Primaloft, Climashield, or Thinsulate but that is comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. They are largely comparable to an average synthetic fleece in CLO value/oz, which I believe is a more apt comparison. For example, comparing a Patagonia R1 fleece or KUIU peloton to a comparable alpaca piece.

I have the Peloton 240 vest and love it. Usually layer over my Woolnets and alpaca hoodie for moderate wind resistance when warmer and additional core insulation when colder, so really I guess I should say I typically run two midlayers, which can also be outer layers. One being natural, one being synthetic. That said, I prefer to generally use natural fibers whenever reasonable as I don't love wearing plastic.

Last edited:

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Ultimately I don't think you can go wrong with a grid fleece or alpaca/wool if that is what you're looking for. Obviously if you want something that is warmer to serve as static insulation then you can start looking at baffled synthetic insulations or down, but since he mentioned the Core LW hoodie I assumed something comparable to that is what he was looking for.

I have both merino and polypropylene fishnets. I prefer the poly for fast drying and they are lighter. Merino is more comfortable and warmer. Both have held up fine. Some snags here and there but I expected that. Plus what's another hole when the entire garment is holes anyway? As for a second layer, I am a big fan of peloton 97 but this year I am going to try some polartec alpha 90 fleece. It's about the same weight but should be warmer and a bit more breathable. Fwiw I also stand hunt whitetails.

CRBTBB711

FNG
I guess I should have been more (or maybe less) specific on my second layer. My goal for my second layer is primarily continued moisture management to help minimize the amount of sweat on my skin once I get to my stand, and also somewhat to protect my mesh base layer. I am not necessarily set on a specific weight for the second layer. More so just trying to get an idea of what other people have used in their experiences with them from a warmth and moisture management standpoint.
In my mind, something synthetic, (being more hydrophobic )would be less inclined to get moisture off of my skin since it is not making direct contact with the skin and also not do as good pulling moisture out of the Merino mesh under it. I would think something like a Merino would do a better job at doing that. But maybe I just don’t have a good enough grasp on how these fabrics work or what the fabrics are capable of, particularly newer stuff since I have not bought a new base layer/middle layer in 15+ years.

FWIW, I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on a Sitka fanatic bib and jacket for my outer layer below 40 degrees. (which I would never wear for the walk/hike)

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I should have been more (or maybe less) specific on my second layer. My goal for my second layer is primarily continued moisture management to help minimize the amount of sweat on my skin once I get to my stand, and also somewhat to protect my mesh base layer. I am not necessarily set on a specific weight for the second layer. More so just trying to get an idea of what other people have used in their experiences with them from a warmth and moisture management standpoint.
In my mind, something synthetic, (being more hydrophobic )would be less inclined to get moisture off of my skin since it is not making direct contact with the skin and also not do as good pulling moisture out of the Merino mesh under it. I would think something like a Merino would do a better job at doing that. But maybe I just don’t have a good enough grasp on how these fabrics work or what the fabrics are capable of, particularly newer stuff since I have not bought a new base layer/middle layer in 15+ years.

FWIW, I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on a Sitka fanatic bib and jacket for my outer layer below 40 degrees. (which I would never wear for the walk/hike)
Fanatic is excellent for what you want. Like you said, make sure you don't put it on until you get there or you're going to roast alive.

Maverick1

WKR
@Formidilosus - thanks for starting this thread. Got my wool net baselayers and have used them a couple of times - and so far so good. A bit early to tell how they perform in colder weather but they’ve performed well in 40 and 50 degree conditions so far.

Maverick1

WKR
Fun facts:
-Varusteleka translates to ”Gear Hammer”
-Varuste translates simply to ”Gear”
-These two stores were located like 500 meters from each other for years, with pretty similar names, but no affiliation to each other
-first Varusteleka built a bigger building 3 kms away
-then Varuste built an even bigger building, towards the same direction as Varusteleka, though now there’s about a 1000 meter distance between them
-still they’re close to each other, now both just way bigger 😃

I live about 10kms away and have spent way too much money at Varuste.

Even in the internet age I am still kind of puzzled that you guys on the other side of the pond, on this forum, thousands of kms away, are talking about the same two stores I’ve been physically going to for years in little ol’ Finland!

And yeah, I wouldn’t trade my Aclimas for anything! And yes, I still get laughed at in them. I don’t think that ever goes away! 😃
Actually, understanding the differences between the two companies is hard, since their names both start with a V, and your username does, too, @valtteri

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus - thanks for starting this thread. Got my wool net baselayers and have used them a couple of times - and so far so good. A bit early to tell how they perform in colder weather but they’ve performed well in 40 and 50 degree conditions so far.

Good to hear.